NHL Trade Deadline Thread: Part IV - Cole Heads to a Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I have heard two different people say that he or Johnson will be scratched when healthy. They said “Petterson has been clearly the better player so they can’t justify keeping either of these guys in the lineup over him.” Oh my my my how they are going to be disappointed

Do they know their respective cap hits? FFS

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Know what, if Gudbranson was a pending UFA, I'd tolerate it. I'd at least say that "hey, at least we're out of that salary commitment for beyond this year". But no, he's signed long term at $4 million. They added an actual right handed Jack Johnson, and that is no exaggeration, that's signed for $4 million a year for 2.5 years. This is coming from someone who has defended JR way more than anyone else here: **** you, JR, for ruining this team with Crosby and Malkin.

Yeah, I try to take the optimistic side of things. But this is the worst player we've acquired in a long time, and his cap hit is atrocious. We will need to package Maatta and a pick with him to get to zero value. And we'd still need to take salary back.

The only qualifications Gudbranson has is that he is right handed, and he has fought Tom Wilson. He's a terrible hockey player, and will necessarily play on the bottom pair for us, since we have 13m+ in salary cap dedicated to the two RHD's above him.

This makes zero sense. Pearson was fine, he had neutral or slightly negative value. We traded for a guy with massive negative value.

Reactions: Andy99

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I hope Geno goes on a tear, Letang and DuMoulin return soon and we still miss the playoffs. Rutherford has become death, destroyer of Pens hockey.

Reactions: Lustaf

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
We're going to miss the playoffs this season, and at least the next 2 after. That's how bad these 2 players and their contracts are. Unbelievable.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Edmonton fans were glad when Schultz left..
I feel like the comparison is disingenuous here. Schultz was an unproven guy playing in a septic tank of an organization. Gudbranson's been a huge disappointment since he was drafted, and plays a style that's from a bygone era. He's a big, slow, cave troll. Think Oleksiak, but worse.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yes, he is worse than Johnson. I remember looking for guys who had worse shot impacts than Johnson, Gudbranson was one of those guys.

Like mother ****ing, what was this senile bat thinking? How could this even possibly be considered a good move? Realistically, this is going to make the Penguins bottom pair Johnson-Gudbranson once Maatta is healthy.

It's going to be one of those sunk cost fallacies too because both JJ and Gudbranson make too much money for the Pens to justify sitting them. So both guys will be trotted out there repeatedly.

I don't know what's scarier. The thought of both of them on one pairing, or the thought of both of them dragging down two separate pairings.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I'm not a fan of this at all. I thought Pearson would be a great playoff player and we trade him for a worse JJ. Horrible.

themethod7

Jan 25, 2013
NWPA
It's a worrisome indication when you have Canucks fans coming in and very literally celebrating, saying "Thank ****, the Gudbranson experiment is over."

Edmonton fans did the same thing with Schultz, just saying. Not saying it'll turn out the same way, different situations and all, but yeah.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Maybe we could wait to see how he performs before we rush to conclusion, ah **** it...

Welcome to the Burgh, Guddy.

We have 8 years of data showing Guddy being the worst Dman in the league.

These paid GMs should know more than I do. They don't. And that's scary.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, I try to take the optimistic side of things. But this is the worst player we've acquired in a long time, and his cap hit is atrocious. We will need to package Maatta and a pick with him to get to zero value. And we'd still need to take salary back.

The only qualifications Gudbranson has is that he is right handed, and he has fought Tom Wilson. He's a terrible hockey player, and will necessarily play on the bottom pair for us, since we have 13m+ in salary cap dedicated to the two RHD's above him.

This makes zero sense. Pearson was fine, he had neutral or slightly negative value. We traded for a guy with massive negative value.

He’ll be playing in the top 4...get used to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->