Post-Game Talk: Preds NHL Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
If poile is ready to give up a first for guys like goose or Hartman. Then why not just add a guy like tolvanen or fabbro and get someone like stone or panarin rather than a Hartman or goose?
It's not that simple. Maybe he would, but he's a getting a signal that neither of them are looking to sign with us.

I have to think Poile is exploring other options too. I mean players under contract like Palmieri, Kreider, Toffoli or even Hall. He's probably been in touch with Sabres asking what it would take to get Skinner if they're too far out of WC spot at trade deadline.

Sometimes you guys make it sound like he's not doing anything or didn't do anything. I'm sure he's in constant talks with other GMs and him not doing anything might be a sign that he's not giving an inch in those negotiations rather than giving up more than he wanted to close a deal.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
If poile is ready to give up a first for guys like goose or Hartman. Then why not just add a guy like tolvanen or fabbro and get someone like stone or panarin rather than a Hartman or goose?
Because draft picks are a crap shoot but an asset, top prospects aren't as much of a crap shoot and an even more valuable asset. Prospects are your future

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Because draft picks are a crap shoot but an asset, top prospects aren't as much of a crap shoot and an even more valuable asset. Prospects are your future

Would you rather have tolvanen and a crapshoot first round pick. Or would you rather have an extended stone?

Pretty easy choice I think. Or we can always trade our first for another Hartman or gaustad and not get mark stone and just hope tolvanen ends up elite once our cup window has potentially passed.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Would you rather have tolvanen and a crapshoot first round pick. Or would you rather have an extended stone?

Pretty easy choice I think. Or we can always trade our first for another Hartman or gaustad and not get mark stone and just hope tolvanen ends up elite once our cup window has potentially passed.
You didn't say extended, so you kind of move the goal post there, you just mentioned players that would be UFA. And giving up top prospects on top of top picks for UFA is dumb, IMHO.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

An extended Stone. BUT. (There are buts!) What are the details on the Stone extension? Honestly, he's as good as Tavares IMHO. But an $11M cap hit for 8 years is not going to be easy to handle. Can we get him for $8-9M? And then what if other teams are offering even more than Tolvanen+1st for an extended Stone? If I'm Winnipeg, I still eventually get around to agreeing to give up Laine for an extended Stone, and that blows everybody else's offers straight out of the water.

So mentally, I'm pretty much prepared to keep my Tolvanen and crapshoot first round pick. The smoke is clearing from the Stone pipedream here. I'm a little more focused now on who-can-we-get for 2020 2nd + B prospect... any younger-ish guy like Silfverberg/Nyquist/Zuccarello who fits the team style and maybe is also extendable-ish on a 4- or 5-year term at $5Mish is also a useful asset. At a good price.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
He'll probably go for Silverberg to buddy up with Hook and Ekholm, would probably be the best chance of getting an extension.

As for the top Tier ones, Ive got the feeling Duchene might be the best bet when it comes to an extension. Might also be the best choice considering Turris performance since he came back. Though Id be happy with either One of Duchene/Stone/Panarin if they came with an extension and only cost us One of our top 2 prospects. Would be really against getting them as rentals.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think Tolvanen will only be available for guys with term or someone he can work out signing before the trade. Something is making me think Fabbro isn't available at all.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm kind of wondering if he isn't running out of steam, he certainly isn't a spring chicken anymore.
If anything he probably has the benefits of experience/wisdom and job security... he has seen enough trade deadlines to judge the actual value of the rental market. And he's not really under any pressure... he has built a good team with a great salary structure. He's not going to get fired if they don't win this year or anything. He sees that there are seasons left in the window. And he'll have a comfortable retirement whenever he does run out of steam, he doesn't need to fear for his job or anything.

If Poile doesn't make any jaw-dropping moves this deadline, I'm thinking there will be good reasons for it. No indictment of his capability. Just a reflection of sober evaluation of the market and the team.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If anything he probably has the benefits of experience/wisdom and job security... he has seen enough trade deadlines to judge the actual value of the rental market. And he's not really under any pressure... he has built a good team with a great salary structure. He's not going to get fired if they don't win this year or anything. He sees that there are seasons left in the window. And he'll have a comfortable retirement whenever he does run out of steam, he doesn't need to fear for his job or anything.

If Poile doesn't make any jaw-dropping moves this deadline, I'm thinking there will be good reasons for it. No indictment of his capability. Just a reflection of sober evaluation of the market and the team.
Eh my comment was about Hamhuis...

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Looking more like duchene is the guy. I wonder what it would take to get duchene and stone both then...

Fabbro, tolvanen, Craig smith and first get them both?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Let's look at the roster math, if a forward comes a forward should go. I'm wondering how much of the depth goes and if any picks come back?

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
After reading through the rumor mill about who all Nashville is looking at and what not I have to say Duchene is the one we will likely get. I do only see Poile doing this if it is a sign and trade type of situation. I think it will be along the lines of our 1st plus Tolvanen and Smith. Moving Smith would create the cap space needed and makes the most sense in my opinion.

I also think we will see one of our top 4 defensemen moved in the offseason. Fabro will not get traded as he will be a cost controlled asset we will likely need because of moving one of our top 4 D. The real reason I think Poile will be forced into a move like this is because of the expansion draft that is coming up in 2021. We will need to go the 7-3 route instead of the 4-4 route this time around and you can bet if any of those 4 d-men are left unprotected they will be taken. Better to make the move this offseason and get as much as you can now for that asset. If I had to guess who will get moved it would be Subban.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We have plenty of cap space for Duchene this year. No need to include a roster player in this trade to make it happen.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
We have plenty of cap space for Duchene this year. No need to include a roster player in this trade to make it happen.
This year yes but Poile rarely does things without looking at the affect longer term. If the Duchene trade happens it's because he signed a contract and without moving some money from the cap we will be in a bind this offseason. Now you could argue that he plans to move one of the top 4 D-men around the draft and if that's the case that cap money would be opened up then and there would be no issue with the cap next season.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
This year yes but Poile rarely does things without looking at the affect longer term. If the Duchene trade happens it's because he signed a contract and without moving some money from the cap we will be in a bind this offseason. Now you could argue that he plans to move one of the top 4 D-men around the draft and if that's the case that cap money would be opened up then and there would be no issue with the cap next season.

Move Subban for picks and prospects at the draft and everything is cool.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think if Poile gets Duchene he isnt going to have much option but to go 7-3, which is why I think you haven't heard Fabbro's name floating around lately ( minus HF of course ).

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

But why wouldn't you wait until the offseason where you likely have a much better shot at a 'fair' deal for a roster forward, especially one with consistent history of 20+ goal seasons?

Not to mention that the point is to win a Cup this year. This team has a much better chance to do that with Smith on any line when compared to any of the other wingers on the current 3rd and 4th lines.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yeah, no way we trade Fabbro. Still two seasons till Seattle ED after this year, if we can fit Duchene under the cap for next year, I don't think one of the top-4 get moved this summer. The summer after that is where they move them. Also, eases the transition for Fabbro, I wouldn't be comfortable giving him top-4 role straight up for next year, he can develop in the 3rd.

If we land Duchene without basically giving any roster players, this is one of the best teams in the league on paper, top-5 maybe even top-3. It's just the matter of putting it together on the ice. Poile has done his job.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah, no way we trade Fabbro. Still two seasons till Seattle ED after this year, if we can fit Duchene under the cap for next year, I don't think one of the top-4 get moved this summer. The summer after that is where they move them. Also, eases the transition for Fabbro, I wouldn't be comfortable giving him top-4 role straight up for next year, he can develop in the 3rd.

If we land Duchene without basically giving any roster players, this is one of the best teams in the league on paper, top-5 maybe even top-3. It's just the matter of putting it together on the ice. Poile has done his job.
Main reason I could see it happening this summer is you don't run into losing value because teams know you need to move someone before the draft. Also if we don't win it I think Poile will be looking to make changes.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Agreed on the Poile part, I think he wants to try to shake things up if we don't win it, or at least reach the WC Finals. But I think having a better team for next year trumps getting a slightly better value this summer than the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad