Post-Game Talk: Preds NHL Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Strongly disagree. He delivers excellent results w/r/t getting the puck back and out of danger. He doesn't hit people, but he doesn't really need to.

* * *​

If you think a more physical guy is needed, that's your prerogative. That doesn't make him somehow inherently "better"; it's just a different approach to getting the same result. And personally, I would disagree w/r/t that being a need.

Again, long-term intentions strike me as a valid criticism. If you want someone with more physical play, that's a legit difference as well, albeit one I don't see the point of going after for this team. But claiming Stone is overall better as a result is still silly. It's like attempting to insist that Turris is inherently better/more important than Arvidsson.

My prerogative?
Did you watch the series with the jets last season! A big tough physical guy would serve muuuuch better than a Russian under 6’ tall. Period.

The skill level is almost the same as well.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My prerogative?
Did you watch the series with the jets last season! A big tough physical guy would serve muuuuch better than a Russian under 6’ tall. Period.

The skill level is almost the same as well.
I did. I just tend to think that folks default to "we need to hit people" any time skill matchups get awkward, and that it rarely helps.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I did. I just tend to think that folks default to "we need to hit people" any time skill matchups get awkward, and that it rarely helps.

Worked well for the jets. They beat us out with their skill and physicality.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Worked well for the jets. They beat us out with their skill and physicality.
We beat ourselves in that series by playing like garbage at home. Rinne wasn't great, but frankly I put that one as much on Lavi as I do the players. He kept trying to run with them at home when if we played a slower defensive game like we did on the road they couldn't deal with it.

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We beat ourselves in that series by playing like garbage at home. Rinne wasn't great, but frankly I put that one as much on Lavi as I do the players. He kept trying to run with them at home when if we played a slower defensive game like we did on the road they couldn't deal with it.
They beat us because we **** our pants at home. The Jets quickly got knocked out by Vegas. Do you think they're running around trying to figure out how to match up with them? This illusion of the Jets being some powerhouse is getting annoying.
You both get cookies.
320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Over-the-top-M-M-Peanut-Butter-Cookie-top.jpg

Divide them amongst yourselves as y'all find appropriate. ;)

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
They beat us because we **** our pants at home. The Jets quickly got knocked out by Vegas. Do you think they're running around trying to figure out how to match up with them? This illusion of the Jets being some powerhouse is getting annoying.

All I am saying is that we were physically outmatched. Period.

Look at their team, every star player is like 6’2” minimum. We have guys like Fiala, arvy, in our top six and they do not have the strength. I know we stunk at home but not being able to stay close to them because they are all bigger than us is fact. We need to get bigger, why do you think poile went out and got Boyle and McLeod? Because he wanted to add more finesse?

And nobody said the jets are some powerhouse, not once, but they do have a very good team and finished second in points last season and is currently leading one Division. Also they are the team that knocked us out in the second with this stupid new playoff format. So to answer your question, yes we want to be able to match up better with them physically because it’s all but guaranteed we play them second round. It’s xalled being smart, like poile is by getting bigger.

I understand you two do not see this, but I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand here.

All I said is stone is a better option than pana because he is better defensively and bigger so he can bang bodies which is what we need in a series with the jets. He puts up same numbers roughly as panarin so why not go for the better player physically and defensively?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
All I am saying is that we were physically outmatched. Period.

Look at their team, every star player is like 6’2” minimum. We have guys like Fiala, arvy, in our top six and they do not have the strength. I know we stunk at home but not being able to stay close to them because they are all bigger than us is fact. We need to get bigger, why do you think poile went out and got Boyle and McLeod? Because he wanted to add more finesse?

And nobody said the jets are some powerhouse, not once, but they do have a very good team and finished second in points last season and is currently leading one Division. Also they are the team that knocked us out in the second with this stupid new playoff format. So to answer your question, yes we want to be able to match up better with them physically because it’s all but guaranteed we play them second round. It’s xalled being smart, like poile is by getting bigger.

I understand you two do not see this, but I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand here.

All I said is stone is a better option than pana because he is better defensively and bigger so he can bang bodies which is what we need in a series with the jets. He puts up same numbers roughly as panarin so why not go for the better player physically and defensively?
I don't care if they're bigger than us. We should've won that series and who would be the first to tell you that? Rinne. If he's decent in that series we win it and the Jets aren't even a topic of discussion. Vegas isn't bigger than them and that wasn't much of an issue. We went through this nonsense back in the mid 2000s with the Sharks and obviously they got a bunch of cups by being big and physical. Same with the Ducks right now. And yes, I'd rather have Stone than Panarin, but the Jets have nothing to do with why.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Preach!!! Could not agree more.

To hear some people talk about the Jets, you would think they swept us and left us curled up in the fetal position.

We played an awful series and it still went 7 games.

Don't get me wrong, they are a great team and will be a contender for years, but this whole narrative that some have that we are not even close to them is ridiculous......

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I don't care if they're bigger than us. We should've won that series and who would be the first to tell you that? Rinne. If he's decent in that series we win it and the Jets aren't even a topic of discussion. Vegas isn't bigger than them and that wasn't much of an issue. We went through this nonsense back in the mid 2000s with the Sharks and obviously they got a bunch of cups by being big and physical. Same with the Ducks right now. And yes, I'd rather have Stone than Panarin, but the Jets have nothing to do with why.

“If’s” can be very wide range. Sure if Rinne was better. But what if Hellebuyck was worse. Or what if our players scored more. Or what if they got injuries. Or what if we swept or they swept.

The fact is, Rinne was not good and guess what. He’s the same goalie we will be using this year. Rinne (I love the guy, but...) he blows it in the playoffs a lot. And other times he gets hot but more often the first option. The jets are maybe not as good as us or maybe better. They are an absolute top tram, whether it annoys us as pred fans or not. It’s a fact. We won the presidents and the jets were number 2. We both had goalies nominated for vezina. They have better scorers than us, we have better defense than them. It’s really a toss us to be honest. Nobody calls the jets anymore of a power house than they would call us.

So you also agree we should g with stone over panarin if we go big fish hunting right? Is it because he is better defensively? Or is it because he’s as good offensively as panarin? Or is it because he is physical? Is it because more chance he resigns here? Or what is it?

I think for all of us saying we prefer stone it is definitely to beat the jets. And to go to the next round and beat them too, then go to the cup and win that. Do we know who we wouldn’t play in the first round? Third round? Finals? No. But we do know who we would play round 2 most likely. So gear up! Geez guys. Even poile has said our biggest nemesis as well. Get a clue.

Some of you talk like we are so mighty and would slaughter the jets and they can’t even hold a candle to us??
Fact - jets finished right behind us for second overall in league last season.
Fact - jets are leading the central right now.
Fat - jets beat us out of the playoffs last season, make excuses but that’s weak, only losers make excuses. We are not losers. Anything can happen in the playoffs. If the jets lost they would have their own excuses as well.

Again, why did poile go get mcleod and Boyle if we don’t need more muscle? ‍♂️

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
poile acquired Boyle and Mcleod as replacements for watson and Rinaldo. those two appear to be done for the year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't feel like last year's playoff matchup was really representative. The Jets kinda sucked. We just managed to suck even more. Neither team was really firing on all cylinders in the playoffs.

And even this season so far, the Jets have had some issues too... they're on a pace for, what, 108 pts? Which is probably a little south of what they hoped to be building towards after last year. But again, we've had even more issues.

It's all a bit "first world problems" for both teams. Some other teams in the league would love to have the "issues" either of these teams have.

Who knows what we'll see from either one when "the real season" starts in April again. Just gotta put our best foot forward and hope things work out.

Reactions: maplepred

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
That would not be good. He’s from Winnipeg so would most likely resign. Plus another monster super skilled body up front for them.

You forget they'll have to sign him, Laine and Connor to contract extensions. Don't forget about Myers and Trouba. They will not be able to keep that team together.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
You forget they'll have to sign him, Laine and Connor to contract extensions. Don't forget about Myers and Trouba. They will not be able to keep that team together.
myers is as good as gone. he isn't signing there but your point is still valid.

laine playing fortnite so much and forgetting how to play hockey is gonna save them quite a bit of money. it was looking like it would take 10+ mil AAV to sign him. now with his play, i see him taking a bridge worth maybe 7-8 million

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Dont get me wrong, Stone makes Winnipeg better, but it's not what they need. They should be going after Duchene because what they need is a 2C.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My sole point is that that last bit - "better defensively" - is wrong. Yes, Stone is a more physical player. He might also be more likely to be retained. They're comparable in offensive production and defensive results. Just stick to that; it's a better case because it's based on facts and reality.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
I honestly wasn't this high on Stone previously, but the Preds need the help and if he can inject some life in the middle of the roster I'll be extremely happy.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
My sole point is that that last bit - "better defensively" - is wrong. Yes, Stone is a more physical player. He might also be more likely to be retained. They're comparable in offensive production and defensive results. Just stick to that; it's a better case because it's based on facts and reality.
Ok fair enough. But stone is definitely a better defensive player than Panarin. I am not knocking panarin’s defensive game, I am just saying that Stone’s is very very good. He’s such an all-round player. Very high on Stone, as you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad