NHL Trade Deadline 2016 - Low Volume again ?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Deadline Day Unofficial final tally 2015

23 Trades
40 Players dealt
20 draft picks swapped
$34 M in salaries exchanged

34 Million ? that's it ?
34 Million of 2,021,064,610 ? (2 billion).

That is 1.6% of salaries were exchanged at the Trade Deadline. Seems like peanuts to me.

It seems so hard for teams to make any trades now.

I'd love to see more stats about NHL trades ... anyone have any good ones ? Are less teams giving up first round picks now ? Are trades at the trade deadline and the offseason at an all time low ? What factors are there besides the NHL's hard Salary Cap ? Is there any hope the Leafs can make some actual trades at the deadline ?

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
There have been more and more teams "in the playoff race" close to the TD the past few years.

This means fewer sellers. Fewer sellers=Less players to trade for=Less trades

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Seems to be more big UFA's then last year, so their might be more trades just from that.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
As for the low amount of money involved, that's more than likely a product of

a. the salary cap
b. salary retention

Players who are expensive tend not to get moved, whereas players on expiring contracts or depth players are the ones most teams target. You aren't shaking up the core of your team at trade deadline, which is where most of the player money is tied.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
I hope you enjoy watching Strombo play with a hockey stick for 6 hours or reflecting on the glory days of his Habs.

Now why did you have to go and do that? I had almost forgotten he exists and is continuing his crusade to destroy HNIC.

Church of Toews*

Outside of Stamkos its Ladd and Byfuglien...who else is big?

Okposo, Hamonic, Erikson, one of Lindholm or Vaatanten, Vancouver is likely selling Hamhuis, and Vrbatta, Yandle will likely be traded too.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
All seven Canadian teams should be sellers at the deadline, not a single one of them will be making any noise in the playoffs (if anyone of them sneaks in).

In addition to those seven, you have Columbus and Buffalo who will be sellers, but I don't know what assets they'll be looking to move... then you have some other bubble teams who may be in a holding pattern until deadline day, those being Arizona, New Jersey, Carolina, Philly, Boston, Colorado, etc.

As others have already mentioned, the standings as it is right now makes it difficult to identify exactly which teams will be buyers or sellers.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
maybe 1 or 2 llamas chasing gino reda in a parking lot
Honestly the most memorable event on the whole day !

b_gy2vywkaasnzp_43726.jpg

I used to take the day off work. Can't be bothered anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad