NHL Top 5 Defenders - How close is Rielly?

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. I love Rielly too but last night when I saw Hedman it was clear as mud to me who the #1 guy is in the league. But he is getting better and it won't be long before he is top 5. Go Leafs Go!

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rielly is a top 5 D man. Look at his usage and his D partner. Look at all his data. Best 5 on 5 point production dispite his tough usage and high QOC

Last year in the playoffs he was injured. This year lets hope he is healthy as he is a difference maker.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
1. Hedman
2. Doughty
3. Burns
4. Jones
5. Josi

I took out Karllson because he is hurt from NHL.com.

What I see is all big men who can all skate and pass who can all shoot and who can all hit.

Does anyone see Rielly in that group? I don't. He is much weaker than all 5. His shot is bordering on AHL level. All he can do is skate with those boys.
There have already been quite a few posts ridiculing your claim that the defenseman with the most goals has an AHL level shot. How about some info to refute your assertion that the top defensemen are "all big men"? All weights were taken from Cap Friendly.

1. Hedman - 223 lbs
2. Doughty - 202
3. Burns - 230
4. Jones - 210
5. Josi - 201
Rielly - 221

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Rielly is definitely moving into the top 5 offensive defenseman in the game. His offensive instincts, passing, skating, positioning, etc, are lethal for him to be the 4th man in and create offense, and he does it at an elite rate. This is nothing new, there have just been small improvements, more confidence, and more opportunity for Rielly over the last few seasons. This season he has definitely moved into the top five, probably trailing Burns, Karlsson for sure, and on the level of guys like Letang, Hedman, Carlson, probably ahead of the Krug, Klingberg, Josi, Byfuglien, Barrie kind of range.

He also might be rivaling the top 5-10 transition defenders in the league. He moves the puck up the ice very well, both passing and skating, and really helps the team get out of the d-zone, and into the 0-zone.

The reason he is not a top 5 defenseman overall is his weak defensive play. Rielly is still not a very good defender when in his own zone. Not awful for sure, but not at the level of other top ten defenders.

Right now, overall, I'd say Rielly probably slots somewhere around #15 among all defenders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad