NHL to start Spanish language coverage of league starting in October

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Makes sense. They launched a French version back in 2011. The three major North American languages now covered.

They also had/have(?) a bunch of European language versions as well (Russian, Swedish, Finnish, German, Czech). Don't know if they are still active, haven't visited nhl.com since their latest site update.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Awesome stuff, I have no idea why they were so late in targetting the Latino community, especially considering how good some of the teams have been in California which have a huge Spanish population.

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think its a waste. The type of Latinos whod get into hockey can speak English. Your recently arrived semi literate farm hand or warehouse worker from Guatemala or Honduras doesn’t care about hockey and wont care just because its available in Spanish.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
ESL. Many folks might speak/understand (some) English, but their primary/initial language may be other than English.

English is not an easy language to master with all the idiosyncrasies and colloquialisms. From interview with VGK radio guy, he's had to make up phrases (wrapped up like a burrito) to refer to board battles and other uniquely ice hockey game moments.

What equivalent would you describe the following:

"Top shelf (where momma hides the cookies)"
"Five hole"
"Standing on his head"
"Head man pass"
"Offside"
"Icing"
"No look pass"
"Tape to tape pass"

And many more

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
Hockey Night in Punjabi has been a thing for a few years now in Canada. Mostly in B.C. though
Expect Mandarin to come along sometime as well.

jonathan613

Aug 6, 2018
Would there be any violation of their NHL tv contract with NBC if they were to try to negotiate an agreement with a national spanish network such as univision or telemundo to attempt to televise games? Another possibility is for english channels to put spanish translations on the screen. I am excited to see what meruelo has planned in arizona. Lastly, the real focus needs to be made by the florida panthers. They need an arena in driving distance of miami. You can not get there in less than an hour and a half from dade.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think its a waste. The type of Latinos whod get into hockey can speak English. Your recently arrived semi literate farm hand or warehouse worker from Guatemala or Honduras doesn’t care about hockey and wont care just because its available in Spanish.
It still might be nicer to watch in Spanish even if the person can speak English somewhat. And heck, isn't this a chicken-or-egg type of an argument? Maybe with NHL coverage in spanish, the people who can only speak Spanish will start caring about hockey, especially if their city's team's successful.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Would there be any violation of their NHL tv contract with NBC if they were to try to negotiate an agreement with a national spanish network such as univision or telemundo to attempt to televise games? Another possibility is for english channels to put spanish translations on the screen. I am excited to see what meruelo has planned in arizona. Lastly, the real focus needs to be made by the florida panthers. They need an arena in driving distance of miami. You can not get there in less than an hour and a half from dade.

Funnily enough, Telemundo is owned by NBCUniversal. Could I see them trying a simulcast of an NBC game with Spanish commentary? Maybe.

member 157595

Amen. Try getting from South Miami to a Panthers game on a weeknight...I dare you.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Took them long enough. I look forward to hearing some of the Spanish calls on great goals. The Spanish call of Bryce Harpers walk-off grandslam last week was thoroughly enjoyable.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Hockey Night in Punjabi has been a thing for a few years now in Canada. Mostly in B.C. though
Expect Mandarin to come along sometime as well.

HNIC has already been broadcast in Italian, Cantonese, Mandarin, and Punjabi BTW.

Reactions: snipes

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I live in a region of the country where you have the Spanish language on everything from freeway billboards to packaged goods.

Half the radio stations on the dial are Hispanic. Along side the dozen or so television channels on my basic cable package.

It’s a big deal.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City

I have no idea where you're from or how many actual real-life Hispanic people you've ever interacted with (not many, guessing from your post) but here in NYC there are a lot of fully literate Hispanic people with middle class jobs who speak English perfectly fine in their working lives but still prefer using their native language at home. French-Canadians don't have a monopoly on this phenomenon, it's kind of what happens to every single person who either grew up knowing more than one language or who acquired another language later in life.

The fact the NHL didn't do this sooner is actually pretty ridiculous.

Reactions: Primary Assist

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I have no idea where you're from or how many actual real-life Hispanic people you've ever interacted with (not many, guessing from your post) but here in NYC there are a lot of fully literate Hispanic people with middle class jobs who speak English perfectly fine in their working lives but still prefer using their native language at home. French-Canadians don't have a monopoly on this phenomenon, it's kind of what happens to every single person who either grew up knowing more than one language or who acquired another language later in life.

The fact the NHL didn't do this sooner is actually pretty ridiculous.

I have interacted with quite a few Hispanics. I also don't know any of them who actually give a crap about hockey. But English isn't my native language for what it's worth, and yet I feel no desire to watch crap in my native language because my English is good enough otherwise. Yes, Hispanics watch Spanish TV stations etc. because it's available and a shocking number of them speak poor to mediocre English even after having lived here for much longer than I have...but I will maintain that those folks don't give a damn about hockey. Hockey is not native to their culture, liking hockey means Americanizing and if you Americanize you'll watch a sport you like in English. It's just pandering, that's all. It is indeed quite surprising that the NHL took this long given other leagues have done this pandering for many years now. But I guess even the NHL suits kinda knew that those folks aren't their target audience.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I have interacted with quite a few Hispanics. I also don't know any of them who actually give a crap about hockey. But English isn't my native language for what it's worth, and yet I feel no desire to watch crap in my native language because my English is good enough otherwise. Yes, Hispanics watch Spanish TV stations etc. because it's available and a shocking number of them speak poor to mediocre English even after having lived here for much longer than I have...but I will maintain that those folks don't give a damn about hockey. Hockey is not native to their culture, liking hockey means Americanizing and if you Americanize you'll watch a sport you like in English. It's just pandering, that's all. It is indeed quite surprising that the NHL took this long given other leagues have done this pandering for many years now. But I guess even the NHL suits kinda knew that those folks aren't their target audience.

Location is Eire - so Ireland (Republic) right? I mean you can't compare the situation for you to Hispanic speakers. With the most recent census saying that Eire has less than 100k daily speakers in a population of nearly 5m people. You use it to pass school then forget about it.

Spanish is one of the most used and spoken languages on earth, why wouldn't the NHL who has teams in heavily Hispanic area's want to try and pull in some extra supporters?

Hockey isn't native to Ireland or my country yet here we are!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad