NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Which annoys me. NFL did it for Browns and NBA did it for Charlotte.

The Browns move with NFL deal that “Cleveland will return” was in 1996. There have been 11 relocations since:

- NFL Rams to Los Angeles (where they were previously)
- NFL Chargers to Los Angeles (where they were previously)
- NFL Raiders to Las Vegas (the Raiders had already moved twice)

- NFL Oilers to Tennessee (rebranded)

- NHL Whalers moved to Carolina (rebranded, with deal)
- NHL Thrashers moved to Winnipeg (rebranded)

- MLB Expos moved to Washington (rebranded)

- MLS San Jose Earthquakes moved to Houston (rebranded with full Browns deal; San Jose Earthquakes returned)
- MLS Columbus attempts to move to Austin, looks like it's going to be the same as the full Browns/Earthquake deal)

- NBA Grizzlies moved to Memphis
- NBA Hornets moved to New Orleans (later rebranded. History/name sold back to Charlotte)
- NBA Sonics moved to Oklahoma City (rebrand with deal).

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Q&A: Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz on the future of his team

Blackhawks owner has a comment about seattle at the bottom of the Q&A thing.

ESPN: You mentioned Seattle. You were in the executive committee meeting when the Seattle group presented. What can you share about that presentation? Am I right in saying Seattle feels like an inevitability for the NHL?

Wirtz: Well, the owners will have to vote on it in the December meeting. Certainly they did a terrific job in the presentation. It's going to be very interesting to see what they're going to do in that building in keeping the roof and going down [the renovation calls for lowering the floor 15 feet], which should be quite a feat. I think it will be great for hockey. It's certainly great for Vancouver and the West, and I think it would just be good for everyone. Hopefully, the owners will feel comfortable about it and vote on it in December. But I think it would be a terrific thing for the league and for the players.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The Winnipeg Jets are a rebrand because they are not the Winnipeg Thrashers.
They're also not the Manitoba Moose.

I don't think it counts. The franchise was renamed, but the NHL franchise in Winnipeg has the same name as it did last time there was a Winnipeg franchise, even if it's a completely different company/team.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
dave tippett was just on KJR during the usually tuesdays segment with softy. I'll post the link to the podcast when its up but there was some good deails.

I'll need to relisten to it myself but i think Tippet said they might be taking a look at boise for AHL but i'll double check.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Other than being based in Winnipeg, the current Jets have nothing to do with the previous NHL Jets.

There's nothing to dispute about that. However, the only thing that remains the same about any other team is the name. The players are constantly changing from year to year. Jean Beliveau and Guy Lafleur no longer play for the Canadiens so does that make it a different team now? The ownership of teams also changes as does management. An argument can always be made as to what constitutes a 'team'.

The opinions will always differ as some only want to point out that a team had relocated from point A to point B and that the history should follow. Others believe the team name and records should remain with the city where they occurred.

Obviously sports is a different animal as it relates to the business world. The identity of a city is often tied to the teams that play there. It cannot be compared to a restaurant changing its name or moving from one street to another. A sports team creates a passion not matched by any other type of business.

The example of the ex-girlfriend or ex-wife or the family dog running away from home is often given as an example of someone trying to pretend the replacement is the same as the original by using the same name. The example is flawed and insincere. To look at it from the other side, if your ex-wife moved in with her new guy and took your children with her, does that make him their new dad? If he adopts them and changes their last name to his, does that mean you're no longer their dad? Do all the memories you have of them when they were growing up belong to him now?

There is nothing wrong with fans wanting to maintain (or bring back) a team name that they identify with. It's the fans that make the team relevant not the other way around. The players come and go but the fans remain. Memories from events that occur in one locale cannot be transported to another.

We were the ones that watched Bobby Hull, Dale Hawerchuk and Teemu Selanne. We're also the ones watching Dustin Byfuglien, Mark Scheifele and Patrik Laine. To us they were, are and always will be our Winnipeg Jets.

:jets

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
They're also not the Manitoba Moose.

I don't think it counts. The franchise was renamed, but the NHL franchise in Winnipeg has the same name as it did last time there was a Winnipeg franchise, even if it's a completely different company/team.

Right, but we're talking about "should leagues mandate that all FRANCHISES rebrand if they relocate." The Thrashers franchise was rebranded when True North bought them. The new brand they chose was the "Winnipeg Jets brand." (I'm not saying Jets 1.0 and Jets 2.0 are totally different brands. I'm saying Thrashers and Jets 2.0 are different brands)

I believe leagues SHOULD mandate that franchises moving to different markets rebrand while doing so, leaving the old brand to the city. Because if the Jets 1.0 moved to Arizona and were called the Phoenix Jets, that leaves Winnipeg without their traditional brand when they acquire the Thrashers franchise and move them to Winnipeg.

Reactions: DowntownBooster

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
listening to tuesdaywithtip again. Regarding the AHL, they are looking at existing team and looking at areas that would be new team.

Its possible they could acquire Idaho steelheads and make them their AHL but they could go to an area and just build a new hockey team for their AHL. They are just at the moment doing their homework.

Dave Tippett is going to be in Boise today watching the steelheads there and taking a look at the possibilities there.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Poutine Rules at Seattle’s Best Hockey Bar | Seattle Weekly

Idea being tossed about that the Angry Beaver sports bar could be expanding to new locations. One idea is near key arena another in Northgate mall.

OT but anyone knows if its the real poutine they serve at the Angry Beaver ?

Meaning this : http://www.planetepoutine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/poutine.png

Because once ordered a poutine in NYC...

Expected fries, got chips. Expected cheese curds, got rapped cheddar, expected gravy sauce, got cancer.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The ownership of the Seattle nhl franchise they have the net worth to buy an NBA team down the line if an opportunity presented itself right?

Cause I would imagine that it’s easier for OVG to come to terms about an arena deal with 1 entity rather than 2 separate parties. That way the NHL and NBA owner looks at the combined bottom line of the 2 teams.

OVG has to make back this $700 million investment in the Key.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
OT but anyone knows if its the real poutine they serve at the Angry Beaver ?

Meaning this : http://www.planetepoutine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/poutine.png

Because once ordered a poutine in NYC...

Expected fries, got chips. Expected cheese curds, got rapped cheddar, expected gravy sauce, got cancer.
the weird thing is they have multiple types gravy for the poutine... 'Your choice of Beef, Curry, Mushroom, or Turkey gravy". To me the beef/brown gravy is the only option and the others are weird..

In similar fashion, the wife tried to order poutine in vegas... came out as country gravy, shredded cheddar over cold fries. Was not good.

Reactions: powerstuck

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

A couple of Tweets from Daniels regarding arena construction, and this was before CD5 threw a ton of shade at Sawant on Twitter yesterday......(That first one was RT'd by Daniels BTW incase anyone's confused.)

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Some could say Minnesota 'kept' the name when they moved to Dallas.

Always wanted to see Dallas use Lone Stars.

When I wanted that, at first, I didn't realize the inherent contradiction. Realizing that only makes me want that more. Alas...
This is a very sad subject to those of us from Minnesota. I was born within a year of the North Stars being born. I was in my early teens the year that Bobby Smith scored a playoff goal to basically put the Calgary Flames away, by deking the faceoff and possessing the puck through the opposing centers legs and then beating the goalie....only to see the Islanders beat them 4-1. I was in my 20s and working away in North Carolina when they, as the 16th seed, went on the biggest underdog tear in NHL history and were actually leading the Penguins 2-1 in the SCF before LeMieux put them away. At that time, everyone knew they were leaving, and the #1 reason was Norm Green the owner.

It's true that the old Met Center would not have been a financially viable place to continue playing. But, old Norm destroyed any chance he had of local government working with him on a new arena through his sexual harassment of several employees. And, the last year, he changed the name to "Stars". Well, you can be "Stars" anywhere, so we all knew the team was gone.

And, that was pre-Bettman. It would have been really nice if the league had somehow encouraged him to make a larger-scale name change. Because, really, the Wild are only the Wild (and that is a great logo) because they CAN'T be the North Stars. And, everyone knows that.

For simplicity, how neat was that North Star logo? Very unassuming, like Minnesotans, yet clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->