NHL to Seattle Volume XVI - It's Official. Seattle to join the league for 21-22 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

j1012

Dec 8, 2014
I 'm backing the Pilots as the nickname for the NHL club. The only team name that I do not like is Kraken.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I disagree with you, but I've also never had my soul ripped out by my team leaving town. You're totally entitled to your opinion with zero judgement. I'm not saying "you're wrong to feel that way," I'm saying "here's why I view it differently."

When Montreal gets an MLB team again, are they going to honor Gary Carter, Andre Dawson, Rusty Staub, Tim Raines and Vlad Guerrero? I'm a Mets fan. I respected the Canadiens for buying Youppi from the new Nationals owners, raising an Expos banner, and I never respected the Habs more than their tribute to Gary Carter upon his passing. Nationals fans didn't grieve Carter's death. Mets fans, and Canadiens/Expos fans did. The Nationals have Kid in their ring of honor and did a polite tribute, but he belonged to US in Montreal & New York, not Washington DC. Ditto Rusty Staub.

I understand that the move to DC doesn't fill you with happiness, and seeing a "New Expos team" would remind you of the rage over how MLB allowed Loria to treat Montreal. But I don't see how a new team name does anything to prevent that. To me, the new ballpark is going to bring memories of the Expos because OF COURSE a new Montreal team would honor the Expos legacy. The gap between Expos and new team would still exist in the memory of old Expos fans.

As someone who grew up watching the Mets and Expos play in the same division, I reject the idea that the Nationals are "the REAL Expos." Jerry Seinfeld says "you're rooting for a shirt" because the players change. If the players, the shirt and the city all change... there's nothing Expos left. Calling the Nationals the "real Expos" is like saying "the THING you owned doesn't matter as much as the receipt for the thing you owned."

Again, I firmly believe that if your team leaves you, every fan is entitled to react to that in their own way with zero judgement from other sports fans, because the act of a team leaving is illogical and irrational, so all "rational sports fan logic" is completely irrelevant.
City Field was Highly Criticized by both Mets and Dodgers Fans for focusing on The Brooklyn Dodgers History over the Team that has been in NYC for over half a century Dodger Fans At Citi Field Don't Care About Brooklyn
Why did the Mets build a shrine to the Dodgers? - NY Daily News

Brodie

the dream of the 90s is alive in Detroit
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think those points on CitiField are dumb, tbh. The Mets may have aped aspects of the Giants appearance and played in the Polo Grounds but their fanbase was always primarily former Dodger fans in the outer boroughs.

Tinalera

Feb 3, 2007
The Known Universe
I would assume green can be one of the colors just not certain combinations? Be tought to call them emeralds without green. Im getting a gut feeling they like kraken too much though.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
We assume official granting of team in December. I assume that will be with restrictions on hiring of some front office personnel so as not to give too big an advantage.

If the team is granted in December, when do we find out the name and colors?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
We assume official granting of team in December. I assume that will be with restrictions on hiring of some front office personnel so as not to give too big an advantage.

Your guess is as good as anybody's. For all we know, the to be owners already have an identify cemented in their heads that they are 100% going to do and can announce it at the drop of a hat, or they want to go the name the team contest route to get free press and fan attention and we won't know for months.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

They aren't going to push the announcement of the team into 2019, that'll delay construction of the arena and making it a guarantee of 21-22 start. Owners don't go against the recommendation of the exec Committee.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
They aren't going to push the announcement of the team into 2019, that'll delay construction of the arena and making it a guarantee of 21-22 start. Owners don't go against the recommendation of the exec Committee.

Please read before you reply Tommy. There is absolutely nothing in my post which suggests a delay. My post is all about the colors and the name.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Yeah, team starts in 2020-2021. I was thinking early 2019 for the announcement but the traction this is getting I expect Seattle to be officially announced as Team 32 by Christmas.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yeah, team starts in 2020-2021. I was thinking early 2019 for the announcement but the traction this is getting I expect Seattle to be officially announced as Team 32 by Christmas.

The moment the exec committee gave the unanimous recommendation to move forward, the team will be granted in December.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I don't see how you pick something different than the Seattle name that's already on the Stanley Cup.

The Vancouver Millionaires, Winnipeg Victorias, and Montreal Shamrocks are all "Hell Yeah" about right now.

Metropolitans is even way too throwback for Northwest Hipsters.

BTW... given that the Kansas City Royals have sued the NWSL over the Utah Royals, I think it's fair to say that the current climate means Metropolitans absolutely, positively will not happen.

So, a suggestion to throw out there... Pig Killerz! Pig War (1859) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I believe that Seattle should pay homage to the Metropolitans by hanging the banner you attempted to attach a picture of and possibly in other ways. There’s no need to steal the name like the Senators and Jets did.

How do you steal a name from yourself?

:jets

Spanky185

Dec 1, 2014
Between BOS and NYC
To add to the stats/history debate what MLB franchise should Walter Johnson be considered a part of? The twins who were the senators when Johnson played, and didn't move to Minnesota until over 3 decades after he last wore the uniform; the Texas Rangers, who were the expansion senators when the original team moved; the Nationals, the current DC franchise; or none of the above, he should be considered an original senator and no modern franchise should claim him.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
To add to the stats/history debate what MLB franchise should Walter Johnson be considered a part of? The twins who were the senators when Johnson played, and didn't move to Minnesota until over 3 decades after he last wore the uniform; the Texas Rangers, who were the expansion senators when the original team moved; the Nationals, the current DC franchise; or none of the above, he should be considered an original senator and no modern franchise should claim him.

No question at all. MLB considers the Twins are the current incarnation of the franchise for which Walter Johnson played. Any other answer is just some silly fan opinion.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I always liked the name Seattle Sockeye. I’m a fishing nut so it’s probably why. But it rolls of the tongue easily and could have endless logos. Fans could wear socks over their arms with eyes glued on them. Haha

Reactions: Tinalera

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
BTW... given that the Kansas City Royals have sued the NWSL over the Utah Royals, I think it's fair to say that the current climate means Metropolitans absolutely, positively will not happen.

That is an extremely valid point, mainly because the New York Mets owner Fred Wilpon and his son Jeff (Mets CFO) are millionaires trying to pretend they're still billionaires.

It would be interesting to see the outcome of a fight over the difference between Mets and Metropolitans, because absolutely ZERO legal ownership or branding of the baseball team is Metropolitans.

The New York Mets are just that, Mets. It's not like the Oakland A's vs Athletics. The Oakland Athletics also go by As.

The Mets are the Mets, they aren't the Metropolitans and go by Mets. The name was DESIGNED to have the APPEARANCE of that, because the "newspaper shorthand" was how the New York American League Baseball Club, New York National League Baseball Club, and Brooklyn Baseball Club got their nicknames.

Last edited:

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Which annoys me. NFL did it for Browns and NBA did it for Charlotte.

The NBA also did it for Seattle, but didn't do it for the Grizzlies. And the NFL didn't do it for the Oilers/Titans, the Colts, the Rams, the Raiders, or Chargers (or any other team that moved in the past 25 or so years). The NHL and MLB have never done it. *

* Actually, MLB may have done it. The New York Yankees are now considered a separate franchise from the 1901-02 Baltimore Orioles whereas previously there were considered the same franchise -- although there is reason to consider it different from a typical franchise move.

That being said, we should probably end this discussion and let this thread get back to discussing the potential Seattle franchise.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
After making my post I thought some more about this, and it occurred to me that when teams move now they usually change their name. That makes vacating their history a bit easier to swallow. But what happens if they keep their name and a new team is formed in the old city?

Since 1935 there have been 13 NFL franchise moves. In only two of them was the team renamed.

In the MLB since 1935 there were 11 teams moved. Five of them changed their name while six retained it.

In the NBA there have been 19 moves. 14 of the teams kept their original name, though New Orleans later rebranded.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Since 1935 there have been 13 NFL franchise moves. In only two of them was the team renamed.

In the MLB since 1935 there were 11 teams moved. Five of them changed their name while six retained it.

In the NBA there have been 19 moves. 14 of the teams kept their original name, though New Orleans later rebranded.

How many in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->