NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Reactions: FMichael

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
News item this morning in advance of a big deadline today:

Dave Mahler reported last night that Chris Hansen is NOT expected to file an appeal of the KeyArena redevelopment environmental impact review. Anyone wishing to challenge that "FEIS" has to do so by the close of business today (8:00pm Eastern/5:00pm Pacific) in order to have it reviewed, and it is believed that if anyone does file an appeal it will delay the project. If no one ends up filing, then it's off to Council for final approval over the next couple of weeks.

BTW, OT, but did anyone watch the Humboldt game broadcast last night on TSN/NHLN? Surprised to me that it appears there's no discussion about that game ANYWHERE here on the forums........or perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't know.....

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
BTW, OT, but did anyone watch the Humboldt game broadcast last night on TSN/NHLN? Surprised to me that it appears there's no discussion about that game ANYWHERE here on the forums........or perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place, I don't know.....
Im sure this is covered somewhere here... I thought it was really cool that it was featured on ESPN Sportscenter last night. Top story was Yankees almost being no-hit, then it was the Humboldt Broncos story and then the WNBA final championship (Seattle Storm champions).

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I still don't see anyone have any grounds to appeal the FEIS. Once again its a renovation of an existing building not project from ground up. Huge difference between requiring alternate site review and not.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
ANd thus no one has filed for appeal of the Key arena FEIS and major hurdle has been cleared.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Your best bet everyone if you want to see everything live is to watch the livestream. Daniels will be of no help to you today:

When something's made official, we'll let you know.

And just like that, we have BREAKING NEWS:

Final transaction docs with Oak View have been approved by the council arena committee in a unanimous vote. Full council will vote on the 24th and since most if not all councilmembers are on the arena panel as well, expected to pass with little to no opposition.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
1st and goal on the 1? Only need 1 yard? 24?
All of a sudden I'm worried
:sarcasm:
RIGHT! Bad analogy as it relates to Seattle sports.... Mind you it was 2nd and goal on the 1 with 26 seconds to go with everyone expecting #24 Lynch to get the ball in the super bowl

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Some of you may know me under a different name. I have been advocating /following the NHL possibility of Seattle getting a team since moving here. Now that it appears to be coming it is somewhat disappointing since my wife and I put our house on the market this week to move closer to childhood homes.

I am extremely excited for Seattle and know the NHL will be very popular here. Just wish I would be here to see it through. The Seattle team will be my second favorite in the league and first in the west!! And I will be a regular on the Seattle team site on HF. Congrats to all those on here for it seems inevitable now.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Great. now we need to find one more Western city to join shortly after Quebec.

Who says NHL is expanding again after 32 and last i checked the price is now US 650m Quebec isn't paying that kind of money. And neither is any other US market.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Great. now we need to find one more Western city to join shortly after Quebec.

Not a shot. Any new hockey teams we’ll see will be in the minor leagues as NHL teams solidify prospect development, a la the AHL relocation to the west coast.

Let’s say the NHL was interested in expanding. Expansion fee for Seattle is $650 mil, up from $500 mil for Vegas. You can bet it would go up to around 3/4 of a billion dollars fee for Québecor, just shy of $1 bil CD not counting startup costs and having to pay salaries, bonuses, etc. before they’ve even made a dime. They’re priced out.

And when the NHL announced they were expanding at $500mil a pop, the old expansion candidates couldn’t even afford that. Kansas City and Hamilton, arenas in hand and the strongest relocation candidates of the last 15 years, didn’t even apply. Houston Rockets owner said he wanted a team, met with Bettman, found out the cost, and hasn’t made a peep since. Shelf your goals of a NHL with more than 32 teams for a long time.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Team #32 is Seattle and will be confirmed the week before the finals next year at the latest.

Team #33 will cost $750 million and will join in the early 2020s. It will likely be Houston given the cost.

Team #34 will cost $1 billion and will join in the mid to late 2020s. This will likely be Toronto #2 or Hamilton/GTA.

Quebec City will get their team from relocation during the next economic downturn. Portland may also come in during this time as well as a surprise city or two (like Sacramento, Austin or Hartford).

Likely relocation threats have been the same for years. Carolina, Florida, Phoenix, Islanders*. Ottawa* could also be relocated given their ownership recently.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Team #32 is Seattle and will be confirmed the week before the finals next year at the latest.

Team #33 will cost $750 million and will join in the early 2020s. It will likely be Houston given the cost.

Team #34 will cost $1 billion and will join in the mid to late 2020s. This will likely be Toronto #2 or Hamilton/GTA.

Quebec City will get their team from relocation during the next economic downturn. Portland may also come in during this time as well as a surprise city or two (like Sacramento, Austin or Hartford).

Likely relocation threats have been the same for years. Carolina, Florida, Phoenix, Islanders*. Ottawa* could also be relocated given their ownership recently.

NHL Seattle will be announced in December of this year maybe sooner if we are lucky. Not next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad