NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think Seattle's a when not if for sure. Also don't want to hijack the thread but was more interested to see that on Houston. Always thought they would be where Arizona ends up. Maybe opens the door for Portland or Milwaukee to be where Arizona ends up.
Portland nor Milwaukee are real options.... there's already a Portland thread.... MILWAUKEE? goes back to territorial rights, and the new WESC isn't a hockey facility

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Seattle's definitely in. This isn't a maybe/maybe not situation.

It's a when situation, and I don't think it happens as soon as most people think. There's a proven timeline available, ignore it at the risk of your own sanity.

Signed,

Someone that's been there.

Reactions: powerstuck

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
if it is, you allow the existing franchise in that deal... otherwise it's not, AF24

Fake rink, imo.

oeHJRjp.jpg

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
NHL in Seattle still on track for 2020 season

Before I forget, should also mention that KIRO on Wednesday got the first Seattle TV interview I think with Dave Tippett. AFAIK Daniels has not done an interview with the coach about his new position with Oak View. David Solano, their weekend sports/news guy, is the reporter on this and I will say KIRO has been real aggressive this week in covering the story, so they might be a news source to begin following in addition to CD5.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The announcement will come as soon as everything is finalized and permits received. If things are on time and there isn't any EIS challenges it'll be september.

LosVikingsDeChicago

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks for the info. What about Kingsgate (Kirkland) then, because they're probably going to have to have an existing venue probably for the first year of operation because of how long it's probably going to take to build the damn practice facility.
Kingsgate (SnoKing Kirkland) is not suitable for an NHL team. It's essentially a converted grocery store. ShoWare Center would probably be the most appropriate practice facility. All of the other Seattle area rinks are not NHL ready.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Kent will sure love the rental revenue.....I think the Renton rink also is a converted grocery store, too, so yeah, the minute they get the team they're going to have to start work on that one. I'd think Bellevue would probably be the best spot but the land there is expensive as hell and the permitting....we'll I've already had my two cents on that. If they were willing to build it further out I-90 (Snoqualmie/North Bend) out my way it might be a little cheaper but they seem to have red tape as well out here too.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Kent will sure love the rental revenue.....I think the Renton rink also is a converted grocery store, too, so yeah, the minute they get the team they're going to have to start work on that one. I'd think Bellevue would probably be the best spot but the land there is expensive as hell and the permitting....we'll I've already had my two cents on that. If they were willing to build it further out I-90 (Snoqualmie/North Bend) out my way it might be a little cheaper but they seem to have red tape as well out here too.

Tod suggest that they already have a site that they that just love (paraphrasing).

Wouldn't surprise me if they take an existing ice rink and make some serious renovations to it.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm sure they'll build their own place close to where the players will likely live, perhaps the Eastside.

Building a practice arena isn't a major issue when you're paying what they are for the team.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Just build one in the suburbs if all else fails.
Yeah, that's kind of what I expect.

Something in Bellevue/Kirkland/Renton-ish, the eastside. I'm biased since I just get a place in Bellevue, but it seems like the right spot for close proximity to the potential players houses on the eastside while also being close enough to the guys that decide to live in Seattle.

LosVikingsDeChicago

Aug 2, 2005

Something in Bellevue/Kirkland/Renton-ish, the eastside. I'm biased since I just get a place in Bellevue, but it seems like the right spot for close proximity to the potential players houses on the eastside while also being close enough to the guys that decide to live in Seattle.

Bellevue is probably the most convenient but there's no available land except for the old car dealerships on 116th. Kirkland is all built out as well. Renton has more land but not as convenient.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Bellevue is probably the most convenient but there's no available land except for the old car dealerships on 116th. Kirkland is all built out as well. Renton has more land but not as convenient.
I think even most of the car dealership land is pretty much gone with the new Target over there.

It could fit into the Spring District, though. It would be a decent centerpiece if they threw a couple sheets on the bottom floors of a new office building.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Why would players esp those without a family want to live in the Eastside? Nothing happens there! LOL
I dunno. I don't claim to be a Seattle expert from my short times in Seattle, but most of the money people seem to have houses on the Eastside/Mercer Island unless they're in Queen Anne or something. Plus the players that choose to live in Seattle would be going against the traffic into Bellevue for morning skate and team activities. Like I said, I'm likely biased especially since I don't have kiddies and got a place in Bellevue. :)

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Seahawks have their practice place north of Renton. So its not unheard off.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
The Renton rink may have been a grocery store but at least inside feels like an ice rink - 2 sheets; good locker rooms. the Kirkland rink still feels like a rundown grocery store, locker rooms are the worst anywhere in the region (narrow and tetris piece shaped). I agree/beleive that they will need to build a new facility (maybe in Factoria area of Bellevue)

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

They will absolutely build a practice rink in the eastside. Most with families will live out that way, perhaps on the Plateau. My guess is Factoria or Newcastle. Close to the Plateau, Close to I-90

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
I dunno. I don't claim to be a Seattle expert from my short times in Seattle, but most of the money people seem to have houses on the Eastside/Mercer Island unless they're in Queen Anne or something. Plus the players that choose to live in Seattle would be going against the traffic into Bellevue for morning skate and team activities. Like I said, I'm likely biased especially since I don't have kiddies and got a place in Bellevue. :)

Most money people with families like large homes with large yards. You don't have that in Seattle, or you will be a crazy premium. If you want a yard and willing to pay for it, its the eastside.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
They will absolutely build a practice rink in the eastside. Most with families will live out that way, perhaps on the Plateau. My guess is Factoria or Newcastle. Close to the Plateau, Close to I-90

Most money people with families like large homes with large yards. You don't have that in Seattle, or you will be a crazy premium. If you want a yard and willing to pay for it, its the eastside.

I'd agree SD. They'll build it along the I-90 corridor. Just a question I think of finding an available piece of land OR buying a rink to renovate it for their own use and dealing with the permitting which as you know is a problem.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->