NHL to Seattle Volume XV - Moving the Expansion Needle [Upd: 9/24 Arena Reno. Unanimously Approved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I'm not usually a tin foil hat guy, but that Tacoma thing seems suspicious to me....And I know that Tommy won't like this, but the question seems to be:

Why would the owners/operators of Tacoma do a remodel at this time? I don't know the answer, but one answer is clearly "as a temp facility for a hockey team."

There is the Possibility (note I said Possibility, not likelihood, Tommy....I'm not predicting this at all, I'm just saying that it is ONE possibility), that we are going to see something like:
1: 2018-19: Coyotes continue on the same path they current run on (Salary floor team, losing $$ anyway, no new arena in sight).
2: Recent quotes from Fertitta in Houston suggest that that is not the landing spot many here thought it would be.
3: Barroway and BOG decide to end the Phoenix experiment next spring if there is no new arena ready
4: Seattle becomes the only landing spot in the West.
5: Team plays at Tacoma in 2019-2020 while awaiting the completion of the remodeled Seattle Arena.

Again, not predicting. Just saying that right now, it fits the time line, and is a possibility.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think it would be a little early.

While I understand that Seattle is a different situation than Las Vegas, it still seems like an early move in a world where "the league" doesn't like getting shown up (for lack of a better phrase.)

Oh, I'm not saying it's likely to happen just that it's great that they are being proactive in talking with the best available this early, even though it's a long shot that anything happens.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm not usually a tin foil hat guy, but that Tacoma thing seems suspicious to me....And I know that Tommy won't like this, but the question seems to be:

Why would the owners/operators of Tacoma do a remodel at this time? I don't know the answer, but one answer is clearly "as a temp facility for a hockey team."

There is the Possibility (note I said Possibility, not likelihood, Tommy....I'm not predicting this at all, I'm just saying that it is ONE possibility), that we are going to see something like:
1: 2018-19: Coyotes continue on the same path they current run on (Salary floor team, losing $$ anyway, no new arena in sight).
2: Recent quotes from Fertitta in Houston suggest that that is not the landing spot many here thought it would be.
3: Barroway and BOG decide to end the Phoenix experiment next spring if there is no new arena ready
5: Team plays at Tacoma in 2019-2020 while awaiting the completion of the remodeled Seattle Arena.

Again, not predicting. Just saying that right now, it fits the time line, and is a possibility.

The renovation to Tacoma Dome has nothing to do with the NHL or the NBA. As far as i know they aren't even installing a new ice plant. The renovation won't make it ready for NHL games as a temporary facility. Its going to cost liek a couple hundred million to make it ready as a temp. Why waste that kind of money for a year of use.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
The renovation to Tacoma Dome has nothing to do with the NHL or the NBA. As far as i know they aren't even installing a new ice plant. The renovation won't make it ready for NHL games as a temporary facility. Its going to cost liek a couple hundred million to make it ready as a temp. Why waste that kind of money for a year of use.

I'm not arguing, Tommy. I just find it strange that they are renovating it right now. Do you know what they have in mind, and why the renovations are taking place? Maybe with links? Thanks.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm not arguing, Tommy. I just find it strange that they are renovating it right now. Do you know what they have in mind, and why the renovations are taking place? Maybe with links? Thanks.

The tacoma Dome needs a lot of work to make it a more viable arena for events. Give me a few and i'll dig it up.

edit

here:

Tacoma Dome shutting down for $30 million renovation

Its only 30m dollar upgrade.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

More likely they announce team 32 this month, and team 32 plays at Tacoma in 2019-2020 while awaiting, etc. Etc.

Fits that timeline, too, does it not? Vegas was announced ... summer of 16? Strike while the iron is hot? Why wait?

Or, alternately, this reno has nought to do with hockey. Also more likely than the Coyotes moving there. Sheesh.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
More likely they announce team 32 this month, and team 32 plays at Tacoma in 2019-2020 while awaiting, etc. Etc.

Fits that timeline, too, does it not? Vegas was announced ... summer of 16? Strike while the iron is hot? Why wait?

Or, alternately, this reno has nought to do with hockey. Also more likely than the Coyotes moving there. Sheesh.

The arena isn't finalized yet and won't be until september with construction in october unless delayed due to SEPA reasons.

snovalleyhockeyfan

I'm just the messenger.....
May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

The tacoma Dome needs a lot of work to make it a more viable arena for events. Give me a few and i'll dig it up.

edit

here:

Tacoma Dome shutting down for $30 million renovation

Its only 30m dollar upgrade.

Tacoma Dome shutting down this summer for $30 million renovation

There are other stories going back to 2016. This has been planned for some time.

As Tommy and Legend correctly note, this has been in the works for awhile and Tommy is also correct that there is no ice plant as part of these reno's. This work is more intended for the Dome so that it can keep the EXISTING business they currently do have, which a lot of it is concerts, something which Oak View I expect will compete hard to get, so in a way this renovation is perhaps a message to OVG they'd better not come after us for our concerts. The Dome is considered to be the premier indoor concert venue in the Puget Sound region largely because it's the largest at around 18-20,000 seats for concert usage. They will lose at least one high school state championship as a result of all this - gymnastics, which was in the next door exhibition hall and utilized the portable seating that is being done away with as part of the work - but the revenue loss from that is minuscule compared to the revenue they'd lose from concerts to Oak View if they didn't work hard to provide a competitive venue for traveling shows to play at.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Ya, I don't see NHL ''expanding'' into a temporary facility. Maybe 20 years ago they would have done it, but not now. Not with such recent (and majestic) experience of Vegas.

You can't really have Vegas join the league in a brand new state of the art arena, have a great season and end up in the SCF...

And then two years later have Seattle join the league in a temporary facility that's much much worse than the current worse arena (Barclay's IMO).

I guess you can, but Seattle will then spend 50 years being compared to Vegas and how Vegas is a perfect example of how you do things and Seattle the perfect example of how you do not do the things.

Just my 2 cents.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Or Gusev in 1st lineup and Goc in second could be nicier for me to watch.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle

Why would the owners/operators of Tacoma do a remodel at this time?

because its ridiculously overdue. ALTHOUGH. the renovations should be done by October. But I was thinking more along the lines of possible AHL team? Although the prefence would be to get a team in California, and not sure puget sound can handle a WHL, AHL and a NHL team in a 50 mile radius.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
because its ridiculously overdue. ALTHOUGH. the renovations should be done by October. But I was thinking more along the lines of possible AHL team? Although the prefence would be to get a team in California, and not sure puget sound can handle a WHL, AHL and a NHL team in a 50 mile radius.

It still lacks a ice plant though.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

Nothing much other than its on going and its a 2020 start time pending on the arena being ready

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Thanks for the information about the Tacoma renovation, fellows. Very clear. Much appreciated.

You're welcome, MNN. I would also add, too, that the Dome has less parking available now than in the past because of the construction of the LeMay car museum (if you're ever in the area on vacation and love classic cars this is a must see IMO) so if there were to be a team there, you'd have to see a transportation/parking setup similar to what OVG will likely be proposing for KeyArena in their EIS. A lot of off-site parking and utilization of shuttles/light rail/busses/walking to the venue.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ya, I don't see NHL ''expanding'' into a temporary facility. Maybe 20 years ago they would have done it, but not now. Not with such recent (and majestic) experience of Vegas.

You can't really have Vegas join the league in a brand new state of the art arena, have a great season and end up in the SCF...

And then two years later have Seattle join the league in a temporary facility that's much much worse than the current worse arena (Barclay's IMO).

I guess you can, but Seattle will then spend 50 years being compared to Vegas and how Vegas is a perfect example of how you do things and Seattle the perfect example of how you do not do the things.

Just my 2 cents.

Tacoma Dome is not ideal now. (no ice plant) And it would requite a lot of $$$ to get it ready to house hockey as a temp not worth it for a year. Had sodo arena got approved and was being built right now, NHL would be playing in key arena while sodo is being built but sodo arena is dead and key arena is being redone inside so no temp facility.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA

Chris Daniels this week for his podcast for KING 5 did an interview with.......Tod Leiweke. Much was discussed here including Tippett hire, the EIS discussion and the challenge that we mentioned here this past weekend that allegedly has Hansen's fingerprints all over it, etc. I myself have not had a listen but based on what the story with the interview mentions, this might be a rather good listen for all of you today.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
He talked about the practice facility (all out of pocket cost) and i suspect they could be looking on the east side.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Castle I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, is owned by Huscroft? That would serve as a good interim facility while they got one built, since as you know, getting anything built anywhere in this county requires a lot of red tape with the permitting. Otherwise, they'll probably have to do it up at Olympic View or down at Sno-King in Kent. Castle is close enough I think to where most of the players would probably end up living - along the I-90 corridor on the Eastside and while it's a bit out of the way down by Liberty High School in east Renton, that might serve as a good location to start.

LosVikingsDeChicago

Aug 2, 2005
Castle I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, is owned by Huscroft? That would serve as a good interim facility while they got one built, since as you know, getting anything built anywhere in this county requires a lot of red tape with the permitting. Otherwise, they'll probably have to do it up at Olympic View or down at Sno-King in Kent. Castle is close enough I think to where most of the players would probably end up living - along the I-90 corridor on the Eastside and while it's a bit out of the way down by Liberty High School in east Renton, that might serve as a good location to start.
Castle Ice went bk, SnoKing and the association bought the rinks in Renton and Kirkland. They would have to upgrade the locker rooms to accommodate an NHL team in Renton.

snovalleyhockeyfan

May 22, 2008
North Bend, WA
Castle Ice went bk, SnoKing and the association bought the rinks in Renton and Kirkland. They would have to upgrade the locker rooms to accommodate an NHL team in Renton.

Thanks for the info. What about Kingsgate (Kirkland) then, because they're probably going to have to have an existing venue probably for the first year of operation because of how long it's probably going to take to build the damn practice facility.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Seattle's a when not if for sure. Also don't want to hijack the thread but was more interested to see that on Houston. Always thought they would be where Arizona ends up. Maybe opens the door for Portland or Milwaukee to be where Arizona ends up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad