NHL To Resume Play In Edmonton and Toronto | Teams Arrive Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Younger demographic getting infected now. But hospitals are filling up, and all kinds of stories about young people with serious side effects, that we don’t know yet how that will play out long term.
Stop your continuous fear mongering. The vast majority of people of all ages will not be one bit hurt by this virus if they get it. All I hear is maybes and could and we don't know yet. In other words its all b,s. If you are healthy and have a good immune system no matter what age you will be fine. It's time to stop the bullshit fear mongering. We have lived with viruses all our life. The weak will be impacted but you are just talking out of your ass saying we don't know how long term they will be. I could say that about every damn virus in the world. Bottom line people get healthy and strengthen your immune system and no matter what age chances are you will be fine. Too much out of shape lazy fat people who don't care about their health Dont look to others to protect you. Look after your own damn health and the key is to protect long term care places where many of the vulnerable are.

Reactions: barry halls

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It's funny.

Back in January I thought @kevy999 was a lunatic. Now I think he may be on to something.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The point is that if you test more, your rate will be much higher. Right now we have far more unreported cases than in the USA. With all things accounted for, the true covid rate in US is still a lot higher but not by the margin that the numbers indicate
This is not true at all. If you test more the number of cases you find may go up but that is not the same as the positivity rate going up. The positivity rate reflects the prevalence of the virus. The higher the rate the generally more prevalent the virus is in your population.

Ontario with a population that is just under 14.5M people tested between 20000 and 30000 people a day of late. Yesterday it was 21,425 or 1.48 test per 100K in the population

https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-ontario-is-responding-covid-19

The US is now testing testing roughly 700K which is 2.19 per 100K. So proportionally this is roughly 50% higher than Ontario per capita. Ontario had 121 positive tests today. If the same testing rate as the US was used with the same positivity rate Ontario might have expected 182 case. Taking population into account at this rate the US would have had around 4100 cases. They had 57549 or roughly 14 times what you would expect if the virus was equally as prominent in the US as it was in Ontario.

Daily State-by-State Testing Trends

Florida has 21.5M people. They tested 49,177 people with 9488 positive tests. That is a testing rate of 2.28 per 100K which is slightly higher than the US average. But if you look at the equivalent testing rate in Ontario extrapolate to the Florida population you should expect 277 cases if the virus was as prevalent in Florida as it is in Ontario. That means Florida's numbers are roughly 34 times what you would expect.

Edmonton tested 3644 people in a day most recently. That is a just under 4 tests per 100k. So the testing rate in Edmonton is significantly higher than in any of the above places. They had 21 cases. Convert those to Florida and you would expect 285 positive tests in Florida if the virus had similar prevalence.

Now none of this is exact because who gets tested varies across jurisdictions. But the claim that this is just a reflection of more testing is fundamentally false.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stop your continuous fear mongering. The vast majority of people of all ages will not be one bit hurt by this virus if they get it. All I hear is maybes and could and we don't know yet. In other words its all b,s. If you are healthy and have a good immune system no matter what age you will be fine. It's time to stop the bullshit fear mongering. We have lived with viruses all our life. The weak will be impacted but you are just talking out of your ass saying we don't know how long term they will be. I could say that about every damn virus in the world. Bottom line people get healthy and strengthen your immune system and no matter what age chances are you will be fine. Too much out of shape lazy fat people who don't care about their health Dont look to others to protect you. Look after your own damn health and the key is to protect long term care places where many of the vulnerable are.

Kinda hard to just "get healthy" for a fat person overnight. It would take months, some times even years for some of these "unhealthy" people to be labelled healthy.

It's kind of like saying "get confident, stupid" (lol).

Also it's not like people over age 65 can just de-age themselves either.

Reactions: Peanut Butter

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Kinda hard to just "get healthy" for a fat person overnight. It would take months, some times even years for some of these "unhealthy" people to be labelled healthy.

Or get less crazy conspiracy theorist. (Not you sir)

A global pandemic bad enough to shut down the economies and international travel of the entire world, and any precautions being taken are fearmongering lawl. All unknowns in the world are bullshit. I may or may not get in a carwreck: bullshit fearmongering, f*** speed limits. I may or may not get cancer: bullshit fear mongering, spray Roundup in my mouth. I may or may not get food poisoning: bullshit fear mongering gimme that raw chicken straight from the package.

We know enough about those things and enough about covid to know to at least be careful.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
And yet many reputable studies are finding significant levels of potentially permanent lung disease in young healthy asymptomatic people...BUt why worry when someone on the internet tells you it's ok.

Reactions: Phaser

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016

obviously, this should be a lesson to everyone to start looking after your health sooner. And I know lots of fairly healthy over 65 year olds who are not one bit afraid of this virus. My mom and dad both in their seventies go to stores every day . My point is that you are responsible for your health. Dont look for others to protect you. But I said the one exception is long term care people whi should of been protected from the start

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Nah that's you lol

AD244BAA-F864-421F-AD16-8C94B12AB939.gif

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah this shocks me. Way to let your team down. I hope the league doesn't consider delaying the start of play so that these players can recover and be able to play.

The start of play isn't scheduled for another month. Those players will be recovered well before then unless they get some unforseen lingering symptoms, if they had any symptoms at all.

This is why I don't understand the freak out with every positive result (as if it's a big surprise). Phase 3 hasn't even started yet, players who test positive now aren't derailing the tournament. If by the end of Phase 3 (July 24th I believe), 10-15 or more players test positive then it'll be a problem with players missing games.
If players test positive inside the bubble then we can start talking about this thing being shut down but players testing positive now was fully expected. Not concerning, yet.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
The start of play isn't scheduled for another month. Those players will be recovered well before then unless they get some unforseen lingering symptoms, if they had any symptoms at all.

This is why I don't understand the freak out with every positive result (as if it's a big surprise). Phase 3 hasn't even started yet, players who test positive now aren't derailing the tournament. If by the end of Phase 3 (July 24th I believe), 10-15 or more players test positive then it'll be a problem with players missing games.
If players test positive inside the bubble then we can start talking about this thing being shut down but players testing positive now was fully expected. Not concerning, yet.

Say they infected someone on their team yesterday, or in the past couple days. It can take up to 14 days for symptoms to present. After the onset of symptoms mild cases take approximately 10 days to test negative. That's 24 days, it's the 4th. That puts us really close to Aug 1.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

In a podcast I listened to today the talk was for the need to lock players and staff down now or else they will be flying to Hub Cities with less than a full roster.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Say they infected someone on their team yesterday, or in the past couple days. It can take up to 14 days for symptoms to present. After the onset of symptoms mild cases take approximately 10 days to test negative. That's 24 days, it's the 4th. That puts us really close to Aug 1.

There has been tons of athletes, who tested positive, that tested negative and were clear within 2 weeks.
What you're stating is a bunch of ifs. It would take a perfect storm for a player to not be ready to go 24 days after testing positive.
There were soccer players who are now playing after testing positive close to the restart.

Generally, the player (and anybody who was traced to them if tested positive) would have to isolate for 10-14 days then get retested several times until they are negative and then good to go.
I mean, the Blues practice facility will be open in 2 days so obviously it wasn't too big of a setback for the team.
If these positives start becoming the norm once they're into Phase 3 then I think the concern will be valid but that's still 9+ days off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad