Not open for further replies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
US cases today- 55,000.
US cases yesterday- 57,000.
Total- 112,000.

Canada total cases since this shit started 6 months ago-

If they don’t pull the teams to the Hub Cities now, the chances of this happening becomes smaller by the minute.

Yeah, the states are just SUCH a ridiculous gong show, it's really unbelievable. I'm wondering if the teams are forcing players to be in their own bubble. If not, they should be.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

duul

Jun 21, 2010
To be fair, America is checking cases at a far greater rate than we are. I would assume the proportion of cases per capita is not THAT much different between countries. Especially when we take into account asymptomatic cases which seem to be ridiculously high...

Luckily not a single athlete so far has shown anything more than a loss of smell. in any sport as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
To be fair, America is checking cases at a far greater rate than we are. I would assume the proportion of cases per capita is not THAT much different between countries. Especially when we take into account asymptomatic cases which seem to be ridiculously high...

Luckily not a single athlete so far has shown anything more than a loss of smell. in any sport as far as I'm aware.
This is not really true at all. The positivity rate in the US is magnitudes higher. In Edmonton for example the 7 day average rate .58% right now. I n some US states it is as high as 20%.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

I'm curious how strict the NHL's Stage 3 protocols are. If American teams even want to make it to Edmonton and Toronto for Stage 4 they need to be free of Covid cases before traveling across the border no? That would mean diligent quarantining measures should have already started and a decent number of NHL players aren't even in their team's city yet.

With St. Louis shutting down practice because of positive Covid cases I'm curious to see if the NHL is able to return to play in early August per their current timeline or whether that gets pushed back. Besides St. Louis, the teams to be most concerned about are obviously Tampa Bay, Florida, Arizona, Vegas, Dallas and Nashville given the current uptick in cases. Carolina and Minnesota are probably in the next tier.

At the end of the day though it's really on the players and staff themselves to be taking proper precautions. Even in cities where there are a high number of cases you can still self isolate, get groceries delivered, wash hands and limit your driving to mainly to and from the rink. Guys with families can be limiting their kids exposure as well. Even with all that though it could just take one player making poor decisions to get multiple people sick.

Again, very curious to see what the NHL's safety protocols are because there are going to be more positive tests.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Last I heard, Greta Thunberg is dropping the puck for the opening ceremonies. But the puck will be made of kale.

Forged charred kale. The kale was melted down to basic elements using the combined hot breath of 1000 people being paid $15 an hour over a period of 2 months.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
US cases today- 55,000.
US cases yesterday- 57,000.
Total- 112,000.

Canada total cases since this shit started 6 months ago-

If they don’t pull the teams to the Hub Cities now, the chances of this happening becomes smaller by the minute.

The interesting thing, is that even with the dramatic rise in cases in the U.S., the death numbers have remained static, or even gone down in some places.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I like the chances of no players getting covid here in Alberta. 8300 cases and 155 deaths in a population of 4.4 million

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The interesting thing, is that even with the dramatic rise in cases in the U.S., the death numbers have remained static, or even gone down in some places.

Younger demographic getting infected now. But hospitals are filling up, and all kinds of stories about young people with serious side effects, that we don’t know yet how that will play out long term.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Deaths numbers will lag. People take time to get sick, then hospitalized, then dead. Their hospitals in areas like Texas, Florida, Arizona will soon be hitting capacity, and once that happens, it will be a gong show.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is not really true at all. The positivity rate in the US is magnitudes higher. In Edmonton for example the 7 day average rate .58% right now. I n some US states it is as high as 20%.
The point is that if you test more, your rate will be much higher. Right now we have far more unreported cases than in the USA. With all things accounted for, the true covid rate in US is still a lot higher but not by the margin that the numbers indicate

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Deaths numbers will lag. People take time to get sick, then hospitalized, then dead. Their hospitals in areas like Texas, Florida, Arizona will soon be hitting capacity, and once that happens, it will be a gong show.

Plus it depends what category each state puts the deaths in. Like Florida with their large number of 'flu' deaths this year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

For now. Read an article on the subject recently and lot of the cases are apparently among younger less vulnerable people plus they have found ways to mitigate and help treat it. But as hospitals and ICU’s fill up they will hit a critical mass like they did in NYC. Anyway hopefully the teams figure out how to stay isolated till they come to Canada.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
The point is that if you test more, your rate will be much higher. Right now we have far more unreported cases than in the USA. With all things accounted for, the true covid rate in US is still a lot higher but not by the margin that the numbers indicate

The US has over 123,000 more deaths than Canada. The numbers are definitely a lot higher in the US because you have a large % of the country that resists following the basics such as social distancing and wearing masks. There's a reason why they are hitting record high numbers of cases with the virus while most of the other countries are having rates decrease.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Far more unreported cases?

you got a source for this information?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Far more unreported cases?

you got a source for this information?

The pneumonia death rate in Florida and Texas has magically jumped 5x this year some how:

="https://twitter.com/hashtag/COVID19?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#COVID19</a> cases and deaths. <a href="https://t.co/XSLotsFdkl">https://t.co/XSLotsFdkl</a></p>&mdash; Gwen Graham (@GwenGraham) <a href="</script>

"https://t.co/3f77HcxvGa">pic.twitter.com/3f77HcxvGa</a></p>&mdash; DjJon (@DjJon75) <a href=""

Looks to me like they are labelling a ton of deaths under the pneumonia category to avoid showing their real COVID19 numbers.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The pneumonia death rate in Florida and Texas has magically jumped 5x this year some how:

="https://twitter.com/hashtag/COVID19?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#COVID19</a> cases and deaths. <a href="https://t.co/XSLotsFdkl">https://t.co/XSLotsFdkl</a></p>&mdash; Gwen Graham (@GwenGraham) <a href="</script>

"https://t.co/3f77HcxvGa">pic.twitter.com/3f77HcxvGa</a></p>&mdash; DjJon (@DjJon75) <a href=""

Looks to me like they are labelling a ton of deaths under the pneumonia category to avoid showing their real COVID19 numbers.

Taking a page out of how Russia classifies Covid deaths - flu.

I hope hockey players don’t get “pneumonia.”

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Back to the thread topic -

I had to be at Manulife Place yesterday for a meeting and was surprised at how dead it was inside, which bodes well for our bubble.

Where Sutton Place is I am not sure how they are going to build a wall around it and Ice District unless the bubble with Sutton Place is going to be strictly within the Pedway system and they lock down those parts of the Pedway that connect Sutton Place with Rogers and Ice District.

Otherwise it’s easy to close off the JW and the Plaza / Ford Hall, the area around Rogers with a physical wall and lock down the Pedway system.

Buses will move players to Terwillegar Fourplex for the play in round and the QF. After that they won’t need Terwillegar. Golf and other activities they will have to bus.

Curious to see the actual plan once they make everything public after the player and BOG vote next week.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Back to the thread topic -

I had to be at Manulife Place yesterday for a meeting and was surprised at how dead it was inside, which bodes well for our bubble.

Where Sutton Place is I am not sure how they are going to build a wall around it and Ice District unless the bubble with Sutton Place is going to be strictly within the Pedway system and they lock down those parts of the Pedway that connect Sutton Place with Rogers and Ice District.

Otherwise it’s easy to close off the JW and the Plaza / Ford Hall, the area around Rogers with a physical wall and lock down the Pedway system.

Buses will move players to Terwillegar Fourplex for the play in round and the QF. After that they won’t need Terwillegar. Golf and other activities they will have to bus.

Curious to see the actual plan once they make everything public after the player and BOG vote next week.

I think they may need a shuttle to get people to the Sutton. Not sure they are able to shutdown the businesses in the pedway to lock it down.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I think they may need a shuttle to get people to the Sutton. Not sure they are able to shutdown the businesses in the pedway to lock it down.
What about dropping down to ground level at the south end of the Marriot, blocking off across 102st just north of 103ave and getting back up into bell tower at the pedway across 101st to Sutton? I think you can do it while restricting parkade access on 102st to only be accessible from the north.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
What about dropping down to ground level at the south end of the Marriot, blocking off across 102st just north of 103ave and getting back up into bell tower at the pedway across 101st to Sutton? I think you can do it while restricting parkade access on 102st to only be accessible from the north.

Yeah something like that might work.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm curious how strict the NHL's Stage 3 protocols are. If American teams even want to make it to Edmonton and Toronto for Stage 4 they need to be free of Covid cases before traveling across the border no? That would mean diligent quarantining measures should have already started and a decent number of NHL players aren't even in their team's city yet.

With St. Louis shutting down practice because of positive Covid cases I'm curious to see if the NHL is able to return to play in early August per their current timeline or whether that gets pushed back. Besides St. Louis, the teams to be most concerned about are obviously Tampa Bay, Florida, Arizona, Vegas, Dallas and Nashville given the current uptick in cases. Carolina and Minnesota are probably in the next tier.

At the end of the day though it's really on the players and staff themselves to be taking proper precautions. Even in cities where there are a high number of cases you can still self isolate, get groceries delivered, wash hands and limit your driving to mainly to and from the rink. Guys with families can be limiting their kids exposure as well. Even with all that though it could just take one player making poor decisions to get multiple people sick.

Again, very curious to see what the NHL's safety protocols are because there are going to be more positive tests.

Any team that can't qualify for safe travelling to Edmonton or Toronto should have to forfeit their series.

We'd finally see an all-Canadian SCF! ;)

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->