Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
TV dictates Toronto.

Covid numbers dictates Edmonton.

I'd usually say always go with TV but the NHL passing on an American state for the hub cities shows they do care about health somewhat.

They had to come to the agreement WITH the players. I'd imagine it's the players that care about health somewhat.

Also, the owners make more money from TV if they can complete the season so it's in their interests as a whole to choose locations where the chances to complete the season are best.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They had to come to the agreement WITH the players. I'd imagine it's the players that care about health somewhat.

Also, the owners make more money from TV if they can complete the season so it's in their interests as a whole to choose locations where the chances to complete the season are best.
I'm curious if it was the players or the families that pushed the players to just say no to Vegas at this point.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'll be interested to see how they determine which city hosts the cup final.
That would be funny if Toronto and Edmonton were in the final, so we could do a proper final, but maybe a lower league spread of home games, so that would mean 3 in Toronto and the next 4 in Edmonton. And maybe by that time there could be limited seating in the arenas.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even comparing hubs of different sports, comparing the NHL's choices compared to the NBA in Orlando and UFC in Vegas makes a lot of sense.

The NHL is all about parity. So since we have two hubs, one a major eastern market in Toronto, and the other a lesser known one, makes sense. The only thing not ideal about it is that there is no American representation, which is likely just because of COVID

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

More "sorta" confirmation

I'm fine with having east in east, west in west, but the TV excuse is not real. With no fans, they can play the games whenever they want to. I think it is a nice thing for the hub cities. If you are going through the trouble of setting up the whole thing, you want your team in your building and set up.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Even comparing hubs of different sports, comparing the NHL's choices compared to the NBA in Orlando and UFC in Vegas makes a lot of sense.

The NHL is all about parity. So since we have two hubs, one a major eastern market in Toronto, and the other a lesser known one, makes sense. The only thing not ideal about it is that there is no American representation, which is likely just because of COVID
I think they ended up worried that Covid will not improve in the states much by the final. And having to move teams from one city to the other, having to cross borders would delay them weeks. This way they make transporting people, officials etc between hub cities safe and easy

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

That used to be the Monte Carlo. MGM gave the place a complete gutting and facelift and renamed it Park MGM , it’s a 10 minute walk to the rink.

Edit - it’s a 10 minute walk to the rink but beside T Mobile and it’s plaza so the entire thing would have been sealed off easily.

Last edited:

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I'm fine with having east in east, west in west, but the TV excuse is not real. With no fans, they can play the games whenever they want to. I think it is a nice thing for the hub cities. If you are going through the trouble of setting up the whole thing, you want your team in your building and set up.
Agreed, there will have to be a minimum of 3 games per day per hub so time zone is irrelevant for the first two rounds anyway

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well, for once the NHL appears to have made the correct decision. We'll never know, but I would love to know if it was the league or the players pushing to not have the hub be in Vegas.

Looking at the layout I’d say both but with Covid it sounds like the players and agents bailed on it.

NBC will be whining about this decision but given they pay pennies on the dollar for the US TV rights, I say f*** them.

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Agreed, there will have to be a minimum of 3 games per day per hub so time zone is irrelevant for the first two rounds anyway

I think they only need 3 games a day to get the round robin games in. And maybe just 2 of them. After that I think they just play 2 games a day.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think they only need 3 games a day to get the round robin games in. And maybe just 2 of them. After that I think they just play 2 games a day.

Yes, that is what has been reported. So the "weird times" will only happen for a little bit. This will also mean the ice will likely hold up relatively well after the play-in round.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
Yeah, I was thinking (3) /day for play in: (1) for the top four seeding and (2) for the other eight involved in the best of five.
You’re right, the next actual playoff round with eight teams per hub they can do (2) games per day.

I might have to set up a new tv in my home office just playing hockey all day!

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

Will it be 3 or 2 a day?

I know it's 12 teams in each hub, but don't the top 4 get a bye? So you'll only have a max of 8 teams playing during the play-in and 1st round.

N/m, just looked it up, and I see the top 4 still play in a separate round set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad