NHL to have last proposal for NHLPA early this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
For the umpteenth time....dont buy into ANYTHING you read/see or hear from the PA or the league.....

Its a lost cause man, the mainstream media releases have them hooked. Regardless of the rollercoaster ride it takes them on.

EDIT: lost cause in place of lost cost....reason #19,087 not to post after coming home from the bar.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
One of the many ideas I have for a cap is as follows

I had a good idea for a luxury tax, a sliding tax. For every million over it increases by, say 10% or 20%, but it applies to the whole amount of overages.

1 million over its 10% ($100K tax)
2 million over its 20% ($400K tax)(20% of the full $2m)
3 million over and its 30% ($900K tax)
5 million overs and is 50% ($2.5m tax)
10 million over and its 100% ($10m tax)
12 million over and its 120% ($14.4m tax)
15 million over and its 150% ($22.5m tax)

The advantage of such a system is it allows weaker clubs to slip over a few million (say $2-3m) without being hit hard ($400K-900K), while a big over spender gets nailed for racking up $12m in overages ($14.4m in tax). It gives teams a bit a reason not to jump up to the next tax rate.

Combine this with a loss of draft picks for over spending (up to a 1st rounder) and it satisfies the basic requirements.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
lux taxes are fine and dandy , but can anyone here give us an estimate as to ''how much'' some of the big spending teams would actually go over ?

its safe to assume that stiff taxes would curb things , but you still end up with an elite group of ''taxed teams'' who will be the salary trend setters for the rest of the league .

Is it fair to have 6-8 teams be the market standard for salaries ?

''wah wah wah , I want to be paid as much as the third line center of the red wings cause I scored 12 goals''

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Isles72 said:
lux taxes are fine and dandy , but can anyone here give us an estimate as to ''how much'' some of the big spending teams would actually go over ?

its safe to assume that stiff taxes would curb things , but you still end up with an elite group of ''taxed teams'' who will be the salary trend setters for the rest of the league .

Is it fair to have 6-8 teams be the market standard for salaries ?

''wah wah wah , I want to be paid as much as the third line center of the red wings cause I scored 12 goals''

It would depend on revenue sharing. Take the Leafs. If they spent $62 million on salaries last year, I would expect them to pay a total of $62 million under a new deal, assuming the same revenues. If that's $42 million in salaries, $10 million in revenue sharing and $8 million in luxury taxes, so be it.

The Leafs have to get board approval for the increased salary in every trade they make. Don't expect them to add $10 million to their payroll / luxury tax / revenue sharing expense all of a sudden.

The Red Wings lost money last year. I don't think they'd be prepared to lose a pile more money next year just to keep their expensive team together and pay a stiff luxury tax.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
me2 said:
One of the many ideas I have for a cap is as follows

I had a good idea for a luxury tax, a sliding tax. For every million over it increases by, say 10% or 20%, but it applies to the whole amount of overages.

1 million over its 10% ($100K tax)
2 million over its 20% ($400K tax)(20% of the full $2m)
3 million over and its 30% ($900K tax)
5 million overs and is 50% ($2.5m tax)
10 million over and its 100% ($10m tax)
12 million over and its 120% ($14.4m tax)
15 million over and its 150% ($22.5m tax)

The advantage of such a system is it allows weaker clubs to slip over a few million (say $2-3m) without being hit hard ($400K-900K), while a big over spender gets nailed for racking up $12m in overages ($14.4m in tax). It gives teams a bit a reason not to jump up to the next tax rate.

Combine this with a loss of draft picks for over spending (up to a 1st rounder) and it satisfies the basic requirements.

I'd like to see a flat rate. If you go over the threshold, even by $1, you pay $5 million in luxury taxes right off the bat, plus a percentage of the amount you're over. Is that enough of a deterrent? If you're over 2 years in a row, it's $10 million plus a percentage. Each year that penalty goes up $5 million.

Teams might go over a year or two desperately trying to win, but it would be way too costly to stay over the threshold. Plus, if you're right at the threshold, you don't go out and sign an extra $5 million player, since it would cost you from $10 million to $15 million to get him.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Wetcoaster said:
Here is a preview of the CBA for the new NHL, now renamed the BHL (Bettman Hockey League):

-Salary cap with a $31 million floor and $32 million upper limit - no exceptions.
-Entry level contract maximums set at $300,000 with allowable signing bonuses of $50,000 and performance bonuses over the three year term of the contract set at $100,000.
-Unsigned drafted players remain the permanent property of the drafting team
-No non-trade clauses.
-No guaranteed contracts.
-Players prohibited from holding out during contract disputes.
-All prior contracts declared void (no need for a rollback).
-All contracts to be negotiated by the BHL league office.
-Players prohibited from having any agent not approved and certified by the BHL.
-No salary arbitration.
-All revenue from personal appearances, endorsements and such things as hockey cards to be property of the player's respective team and the BHL to be split evenly.
-Players are required to make any personal appearance at any time as directed by the team or BHL except that the player is entitled to refuse to appear if such appearance is between the hours of Midnight and 6 am provided the player pays a penalty of $20,000 per refusal.
-Free agency at age 40 or 20 years service.
-No revenue sharing.
-Players to insure their own contracts and pay for their own medical expenses.
-Players to fund own disability plan.
-Players to reimburse ownership for all money spent on roadtrips for travel, lodging and food.
-Players to completely fund their own pension fund and repay the millions in misappropriated funds the owners were previously ordered to pay by the courts.
-Alan Eagleson to be re-appointed Executive Director of the BHLPA.
-Players prohibited from disclosing their contracts to anyone.

There that should about do it. Is that pro-Bettman enough?????

Puck to be larger, spherical and inflatable.

Nets to be made smaller, circular, raised in the air and rotated 90 degrees...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->