NHL to have last proposal for NHLPA early this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
So the NHL is going to have a new proposal on the table sometime early this week.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=112256
He also insists the league is working hard at a deal.

Actually, I believe there's a better chance now," he said of reaching an agreement to end the dispute, "than there was before we had these meetings."

"We're trying to craft something that will work for both sides. And I can tell you that I think we're a lot closer than they're suggesting we are."

So what do you think this owners proposal will have in it, besides the obvoius salary cap? Whats the trigger points and what about all the other issues, can anyone tell me what they think the new propsoal will contain?

Wetcoaster

trahans99 said:
So the NHL is going to have a new proposal on the table sometime early this week.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=112256
He also insists the league is working hard at a deal.

Actually, I believe there's a better chance now," he said of reaching an agreement to end the dispute, "than there was before we had these meetings."

"We're trying to craft something that will work for both sides. And I can tell you that I think we're a lot closer than they're suggesting we are."

So what do you think this owners proposal will have in it, besides the obvoius salary cap? Whats the trigger points and what about all the other issues, can anyone tell me what they think the new propsoal will contain?

Here is a preview of the CBA for the new NHL, now renamed the BHL (Bettman Hockey League):

-Salary cap with a $31 million floor and $32 million upper limit - no exceptions.
-Entry level contract maximums set at $300,000 with allowable signing bonuses of $50,000 and performance bonuses over the three year term of the contract set at $100,000.
-Unsigned drafted players remain the permanent property of the drafting team
-No non-trade clauses.
-No guaranteed contracts.
-Players prohibited from holding out during contract disputes.
-All prior contracts declared void (no need for a rollback).
-All contracts to be negotiated by the BHL league office.
-Players prohibited from having any agent not approved and certified by the BHL.
-No salary arbitration.
-All revenue from personal appearances, endorsements and such things as hockey cards to be property of the player's respective team and the BHL to be split evenly.
-Players are required to make any personal appearance at any time as directed by the team or BHL except that the player is entitled to refuse to appear if such appearance is between the hours of Midnight and 6 am provided the player pays a penalty of $20,000 per refusal.
-Free agency at age 40 or 20 years service.
-No revenue sharing.
-Players to insure their own contracts and pay for their own medical expenses.
-Players to fund own disability plan.
-Players to reimburse ownership for all money spent on roadtrips for travel, lodging and food.
-Players to completely fund their own pension fund and repay the millions in misappropriated funds the owners were previously ordered to pay by the courts.
-Alan Eagleson to be re-appointed Executive Director of the BHLPA.
-Players prohibited from disclosing their contracts to anyone.

There that should about do it. Is that pro-management enough?????

robcav

Mar 9, 2004
Well given the history of their proposals, I would assume they will take all the givebacks the players have offered, skew them more to their liking and add their cap. They will also raise their cap offer by .5 percent and lower the free agency by a year to show they are really working at getting a deal. They'll say, give us a 40 percent rollback, no arbitration, no bonuses at all for players on a first contract, first contract capped at 750,000, 1st contract length four years, all others max 2 years. No meaningful revenue sharing, and maybe they will even go after the meal money, it is inflationary you know, because we have bigger players these days they have bigger appetites.

The NHLPA will turn it down and Bettman and all his cronies will say the NHLPA shut the season down. The funny thing is a large portion of the fans will be on the owners side and will actually believe the crap they spew.

Lanny MacDonald*

Wetcoaster said:
Here is a preview of the CBA for the new NHL, now renamed the BHL (Bettman Hockey League):

-Salary cap with a $31 million floor and $32 million upper limit - no exceptions.
-Entry level contract maximums set at $300,000 with allowable signing bonuses of $50,000 and performance bonuses over the three year term of the contract set at $100,000.
-Unsigned drafted players remain the permanent property of the drafting team
-No non-trade clauses.
-No guaranteed contracts.
-Players prohibited from holding out during contract disputes.
-All prior contracts declared void (no need for a rollback).
-All contracts to be negotiated by the BHL league office.
-Players prohibited from having any agent not approved and certified by the BHL.
-No salary arbitration.
-All revenue from personal appearances, endorsements and such things as hockey cards to be property of the player's respective team and the BHL to be split evenly.
-Players are required to make any personal appearance at any time as directed by the team or BHL except that the player is entitled to refuse to appear if such appearance is between the hours of Midnight and 6 am provided the player pays a penalty of $20,000 per refusal.
-Free agency at age 40 or 20 years service.
-No revenue sharing.
-Players to insure their own contracts and pay for their own medical expenses.
-Players to fund own disability plan.
-Players to reimburse ownership for all money spent on roadtrips for travel, lodging and food.
-Players to completely fund their own pension fund and repay the millions in misappropriated funds the owners were previously ordered to pay by the courts.
-Alan Eagleson to be re-appointed Executive Director of the BHLPA.
-Players prohibited from disclosing their contracts to anyone.

There that should about do it. Is that pro-management enough?????

The best off put forward yet by the GED set. You clowns are finally starting to get it. The players have been offered a very generous deal but are too stupid to realize it. Hey, maybe when they flush another $1.2 billion dollars down the tubes, that they will NEVER recover, they will finally start to realize how good they had it. Then again, they'll be too busy playing in Europe for a small fraction of what they were making in the NHL. That'll show the owners!!!
:handclap:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I hope they actually make a decent offer...

I'd be quite interested to see an offer with a lux tax/hard cap combination...

BIG luxury tax however, starting at 45 million as $1.50 on the dollar. Going to $2.00 on the dollar at $55 million, and a hard cap at $60 million.

Also a major part would be the players rollback offer (as offered by the players, no changes for certain players).

UFA age at 28, or after the first longterm contract (longterm being 5 years)

Franchise player contract void from Cap (FP must be named within a week after draft day, and cannot be acquired via Free Agency)

Bettman/Goodenow must step down (yes, I want that in the new CBA, negotiated by the two of them...)

Draft eligible age up one year (IE Crosby aint eligible til 2006)

I know that's not a CBA too many will like, but to put it simply, I'd like to see the NHL budge on this ridiculous hard cap, or no league thought process.

Lanny MacDonald*

GregStack said:
I hope they actually make a decent offer...

I'd be quite interested to see an offer with a lux tax/hard cap combination...

BIG luxury tax however, starting at 45 million as $1.50 on the dollar. Going to $2.00 on the dollar at $55 million, and a hard cap at $60 million.

Also a major part would be the players rollback offer (as offered by the players, no changes for certain players).

UFA age at 28, or after the first longterm contract (longterm being 5 years)

Franchise player contract void from Cap (FP must be named within a week after draft day, and cannot be acquired via Free Agency)

Bettman/Goodenow must step down (yes, I want that in the new CBA, negotiated by the two of them...)

Draft eligible age up one year (IE Crosby aint eligible til 2006)

I know that's not a CBA too many will like, but to put it simply, I'd like to see the NHL budge on this ridiculous hard cap, or no league thought process.

I don't mind some of your ideas, albeit the numbers being very high (the salary cap at $60M = 85% of league revenues). But in the spirit of the prime NHL desire, can you work those numbers into a linkage to revenues and post that?

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
luxury tax at 34 million .5 to 1
luxury tax at 38 million 1 to 1
luxury tax at 44 million 1.5 to 1
hard cap at 48 million
50% luxury tax money given to small market owners
50% luxury tax money put in a general advertising/growth of the game fund

free agency at 29
qualifying offers at 80% for players over 1 million dollars
qualifying offerse at 100% for players under 1 million
two way high/low salary arbitration
maximum 5 year contracts

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
txomisc said:
luxury tax at 34 million .5 to 1
luxury tax at 38 million 1 to 1
luxury tax at 44 million 1.5 to 1
hard cap at 48 million
50% luxury tax money given to small market owners
50% luxury tax money put in a general advertising/growth of the game fund

free agency at 29
qualifying offers at 80% for players over 1 million dollars
qualifying offerse at 100% for players under 1 million
two way high/low salary arbitration
maximum 5 year contracts
not that either side would go for anything like this....its way too logical, Tim
yes...I agree
whoops Im talking to myself again

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
The Iconoclast said:
I don't mind some of your ideas, albeit the numbers being very high (the salary cap at $60M = 85% of league revenues). But in the spirit of the prime NHL desire, can you work those numbers into a linkage to revenues and post that?

I agree the numbers are high, and in reality would expect more likely a $50,000,000 hard cap as the more reasonable number (obviously lux. tax would be brought to lower numbers, at same values) I just happen to, as everyone knows, support the players far more than the owners ;-)

Let me see what I can do as far as the linkage to revenues, can't promise I'll get it posted, but we'll see, math has never, ever, been a strong point for me. lol

Brent Burns Beard