NHL To have Brand New NBCSports.com Pregame Show

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
After Sunday.

Here's NBC NHL Producer Sam Flood's quote on what is officially titled:"The NHL On NBC Countdown to Faceoff":

"We have added a 30-minute pregame show on NBCSports.com -- the 'NHL on NBC Countdown to Faceoff' that kicks off 30 minutes before our game window and we think that's a real opportunity to take people to another part of hockey. Among the elements we'll have, are reports from each warm-up, from the three game sites. So we'll go out to St. Louis and find out what is going on for that game. Go out to New York and see who's dressing for the Bruins, who's set to go and then we finish up with Philadelphia where Pierre will get to rap with a few of the players on the ice as we get ready for that game. The whole concept is just extending the opportunity for passionate hockey fans to get engaged in the game."

bictron

Jul 31, 2005
Tracy, CA
An update for the California fans, it seems like on the map on NBC that the LA/Blues game will be on NBC in all of California.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
No, it was a cutesy thing where he taught a girl reporter to take a wristshot. He took no solace in being forced to play goalie for her though.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
WOW six games a year....can you say JOKE ???

Pretty sad state for the NHL in the US marketplace. If bowling is on against it bowling will outdraw it.:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

NBC is actually telecasting more games this season compared to last season. That includes the playoffs too where at least a couple of the conference final games will go to NBC...unlike last season's Versus exclusivity.

From the sound of things, I love what NBC is doing. Their production values and crew are first class. Watching the finals on NBC was a treat last season. It's unfortunate that they won't be the ones carrying the all-star game. Unless there will be some sort of webstream, I will be missing the all-star game this season. :shakehead

Darth Bangkok

May 17, 2006
Mogadishu
NBC sucks from start to finish. Why are there verizon ads all over my screen? When will the crosby love fest end? Am I going to have to listen to them praise him the whole game and every week? his team is losing right now.

why don't I have montreal - ottawa on centre ice??

NBC blows. NBC blows . NBC blows. they are fair weather friends who should just leave the game altogether.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Oh yeah, because these are fair weather days in the NHL, where EVERYONE is looking to get in on a piece of hockey broadcasting, where the ratings are so high, football leagues are begging to be shown on the same channel so they can get promos during hockey.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
NBC sucks from start to finish. Why are there verizon ads all over my screen? When will the crosby love fest end? Am I going to have to listen to them praise him the whole game and every week? his team is losing right now.

why don't I have montreal - ottawa on centre ice??

NBC blows. NBC blows . NBC blows. they are fair weather friends who should just leave the game altogether.

Yawn. Whine, whine, whine.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Will we be complaining when the NHL on NBC possibly shows a game of the week every week of the NHL season?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
NBC is actually telecasting more games this season compared to last season. That includes the playoffs too where at least a couple of the conference final games will go to NBC...unlike last season's Versus exclusivity.

Wasn't totally exclusive to VERSUS as Game #1 of the Sabres-Canes was on NBC.

LS....

Last edited:

SpokaneShark

Jul 11, 2006
At Work
I tuned in to the NHL on NBC thing as I was only really interested in how they would present themselves. I live in Washington state and of course they showed the Kings/Blues game, which IMO, was really a good game. Would anyone disagree?

The one thing that caught my attention before the game started was their slobbering of Syd Crosby. How pathetic was that? I mean for the average viewer of hockey, no big deal, right? But for us fans of the game it was just too much.

Did anyone else notice that when they were going over the stats for Crosby they put something in there as "ICE VISION +14 Rating"? What is that? I have never heard of that before. It's almost as if they are trying to portray this as a video game or something.:biglaugh:

My favorite part was when the Blues took their first penalty and the screen showed them as having the powerplay. Then of course after about a minute, they changed the view to show that LA had the powerplay. If that does not confuse the average viewer, I don't know what will.

NBC has a long, long way to come until they get this right. But at least I am all for the presence.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Personally, I feel that NBC has done a terrific job with their coverage. The picture quality of their feeds are unmatched, IMO (at least from a Standard Definition viewpoint). It's nice to see them trying different things without getting gimmicky, like Fox did in the 90's.

About the constant Crosby stuff, I think they realise that they need to market the stars of the game in an attempt to make an impact on viewership. Kudos to them for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad