NHL To Deploy Puck and Player Tracking for 2019-20 Season

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Addresses puck/player tracking (and history of emerging technologies).

Technology for tracking to be implemented in all 31 arenas for next season. (And during ASG)

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Less than the hundreds that the last version was.

Could be they'll get it down a bit more (economy of scale)?

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Automatic real time offsides plz.

*also
Real-time goal verification
Real-time puck over glass
Real-time handpass/highstick/puckkicking

You know either the calls that eat up 10 mins in review or the calls made by linesmen.

I present the following schedule in which I believe the nhl could tackle problems.

1. General Ice Statistics (current year)
2. Goal Review 2020
3. Blue Line and Icing 2021
4. Stick, glove, and skate infractions 2022.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The puck thing was distracting as hell, get rid of that. The player tracking was also bulky and stayed on too long. Use it on replays not live action (or just show 1 player,not all 3)

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Did NBC use puck tracking during the game? I watched the Canadian feed and they only used any sort of tracking during replays.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
NHL Puck and Player Tracking has trial run at All-Star Game

Recap of tracking for ASG.

Personal comments -- the puck tracking was a bit distracting at times, but I might grow used to it. The player tracking was interesting. I think I'll enjoy looking at the "max mph" and "distance traveled" after the game. (Although it might be cool to see some of the puck races.)

NBC went a little over the top showing off the tech, but I’m guessing it was mostly because it was a meaningless exhibition and they could. I would imagine most of this stuff will be limited to replays during actual games, much like how the similar tracking stuff is used in baseball.

Reactions: stlwahoo

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, Bettman indicated the positional information is to the inch.

So, "close" offsides and goal over the line may not be able to be determined by the new tracking system.

But if it's more than an inch offsides or in the goal, that can be confirmed.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
FWIW, Bettman indicated the positional information is to the inch.

So, "close" offsides and goal over the line may not be able to be determined by the new tracking system.

But if it's more than an inch offsides or in the goal, that can be confirmed.

You know what. Good enough.

If it's within the inch, call on the ice stands. Enough of these 10 min reviews. And it can be within the cm by next year with additional tracking on the blue line and goal/icing lines.

Reactions: SabresSharks

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
You know what. Good enough.

If it's within the inch, call on the ice stands. Enough of these 10 min reviews. And it can be within the cm by next year with additional tracking on the blue line and goal/icing lines.

A chip in a players sweater isn’t going to be able to help with offside. It will tell you nothing about his skates and their positioning on or off the ice. His control of the puck. Etc.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
A chip in a players sweater isn’t going to be able to help with offside. It will tell you nothing about his skates and their positioning on or off the ice. His control of the puck. Etc.
The idea is to put chips in the skates. Skates = mobility. It's only a year off. If the NHL is willing to invest the money, they can easily get goals, offsides, and icings settled to within a few millimetres.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Has the NHLPA signed off on this?

I like Anthony Stewart’s take on this on Twitter. He was half joking but he’s probably not far off, that teams will use these kind of stats to try and negotiate salaries down. “You had 34 goals last season but you only backchecked at 65% of your top speed”.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The idea is to put chips in the skates. Skates = mobility. It's only a year off. If the NHL is willing to invest the money, they can easily get goals, offsides, and icings settled to within a few millimetres.

Still wouldn’t help. Players are allowed to skate backwards over the blue line if they have control of the puck. That’s not offside.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I like Anthony Stewart’s take on this on Twitter. He was half joking but he’s probably not far off, that teams will use these kind of stats to try and negotiate salaries down. “You had 34 goals last season but you only backchecked at 65% of your top speed”.

But teams/players-agents cannot use the new tracking data in negotiations/arbitrations, per agreement.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Less than the hundreds that the last version was.

Could be they'll get it down a bit more (economy of scale)?

Anyone know how many hands are deployed per game doing the counts as it is? 4-5? 7-8?

Think this is one of those things I bet they will be able to make a buck on just after a few years just by cutting the counters salary...

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
From what I've seen, that chip will go in the shoulder pads, and be used to track players in lots of different ways.

I don't think it's able to be used in offsides, because a chip in the shoulder pads, won't track the players skate in relation to the blue line.

If a player drags his skate to stay onside, that chip will be a few feet past the line.

The puck chip / goal line detection could work I guess.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Automatic real time offsides plz.

*also
Real-time goal verification
Real-time puck over glass
Real-time handpass/highstick/puckkicking

You know either the calls that eat up 10 mins in review or the calls made by linesmen.

I present the following schedule in which I believe the nhl could tackle problems.

1. General Ice Statistics (current year)
2. Goal Review 2020
3. Blue Line and Icing 2021
4. Stick, glove, and skate infractions 2022.
I'm a tech guy....so I'm surprised I'm saying this.....but, I don't want to turn officiating over to a computer.

For goal verification (if entire puck - minus the portion that isn't part of the sensor - crossed the line), yeah,....that's good. Should be implemented already.

POG, highsticking, kicking....AND offside.......for challenges and reviews only.

I don't want to see a rush come into the offensive zone....they opt to hang onto the puck....curl....setup....then the horn goes because the system decided it was offside. It'd be tough to do for offside anyway because there aren't sensors in the front and back of every player's left and right skate.....without that no technology can determine if a play was offside or not.

But....if the accuracy is close enough.....if the puck is hidden in a camera angle...then you can revert to the computer imposed location and determine the call.

Nothing should be done on-the-fly. Computer generated icing calls, etc. For review purposes....yeah, I'm on board. If the tech says the puck was over 4' in the air when the direction changed....no goal, high-stick.

Scoring calls can be a hybrid of both official and technology.....every other play should only use the tech if challenged. A high stick, offside, etc......let the officials call it. If the coach challenges it then the tech can rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad