NHL Testing Center Ice Broadband

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6419382.html?display=Breaking+News

The National Hockey League is close to skating its live games to broadband.

The league is currently testing distribution of its cable and satellite NHL Center Ice out-of-market game package on the Web, and it could make it available to any hockey fan with a high-speed-Internet connection before the end of the season, according to Keith Ritter, president of NHL Interactive Cyber Enterprises

raylaw28

May 19, 2006
Boston
It about time. I am a big fan of MLB-TV and I been waiting for a NHL version. Good to hear thanks for the link.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
YES!! Finally the NHL has jumped into the 21st century. Here's to hoping it is not too expensive and that they make it available to countries outside North America

iceblue

Jul 30, 2004
Myrtle Beach
Great news! Now what I am hoping is that Center Ice subscribers can access the games via both satellite (when home) and internet (when away).

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
That would be very cool...it would be great if you could download podcasts of previous games during the season as well.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
Good! I have heard Bettman on Mike and the Mad Dog this year deflect the poor television ratings by citing the number of hits on NHL.com and the NHL section on youtube. So, it only made sense that a sport with so many international fans and the "most tech savvy" as Bettman has called us, would have an NHL online service. Keep us updated Stevedude! And keep it up.

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Something like this I predict would put the NHL on the right track in terms of their marketing/popularity problem. I myself live in Canada but dont have a TV...BUT the NHL would definatly get $150 out of me for this service. The only thing I can say about doing this is...I would want them to put out an almost perfect on-line service before they put anything out. Keep it up Gary, I like where this is headed.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
For european viewers i guess it means they will stream every game not broadcasted by other networks like NASN, Canal+ etc.
I hope they will include european viewers into this.

Wetcoaster

YES!! Finally the NHL has jumped into the 21st century. Here's to hoping it is not too expensive and that they make it available to countries outside North America
Any truth to the rumour that Bill Wirtz has been put in charge of the project?:joker:

steepler

Mar 9, 2004
Finland
For european viewers i guess it means they will stream every game not broadcasted by other networks like NASN, Canal+ etc.

NASN also has the broadband rights.

"NASN also has secured the exclusive European broadband and mobile rights enabling the streaming of live NHL games as well as non-exclusive rights to show highlights over the Internet and on wireless devices in Europe."

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/10/237900.html

This could get kind of tricky in Europe, the deal would have to be with NASN too. Tecnically there can't be any out of market games in Europe, which this package is for, since NASN has exclusive rights to every game.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
:shakehead

NASN knew what they were doing, NHL obviously did not as they have no visionaries. Its strange NHL actually is as popular as it is with the worthless people in control of it.

I have not seen a NASN online stream yet , have anyone else seen it? God NHL org sux

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
The site is now open:
http://centreice.nhl.tv/cc/login.php?redir=/cc/channel.php

For some reason when you click on "For more information, log on to: http://nhl.com/nhlhq/centerice_online.html" a 404 not found page opens up, I guess they are still working on it. :dunno:
Not Available in Your Area

< Back to Video Player

This package is not available outside of the United States and Canada at this time.

Please check www.nhl.com for future updates.

Idiots!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not suprised that its not available outside USA and Canada.

I think thats a few years away.

You can't have it on the web from one source and on TV from another, in Sweden its a paychannel that got the NHL, and they are paying a decent amount of money, I would guess at 3-4m USD, and that paychannel in its turn cost pretty much, around 30 usd per month.

The NHL needs to sell the rights to the NHL to a tv channel in Europe, like NASN or Canal+, and then let NASN or Canal+ distrubute the rights over the web in Europe. That way they won't loose any money.

Canal+ for examlpe already got the SEL on the web, I am sure they could set something up on the WEB for the NHL too. They just needs to get the contracts in order.

steepler

Mar 9, 2004
Finland
The NHL needs to sell the rights to the NHL to a tv channel in Europe, like NASN or Canal+, and then let NASN or Canal+ distrubute the rights over the web in Europe. That way they won't loose any money.

That is exactly what they have done, as can be seen from my earlier post.

NASN also has the broadband rights.

"NASN also has secured the exclusive European broadband and mobile rights enabling the streaming of live NHL games as well as non-exclusive rights to show highlights over the Internet and on wireless devices in Europe."

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/10/237900.html

It remains to be seen how they will organize the distribution in Europe, if at all. I imagine it is up to NASN or actually ESPN as they own NASN now. I imagine some sort of broadband service will be up in Europe too, who knowns what the timeframe will be, but I'd imagine NASN has desire to use the right that they have purchased at some point and if the technology is there it'd be stupid to not use those rights. Well, we'll see what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->