News Article: NHL teams going with "super lines"

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
So who is the Habs super line goona be???
What 3 forwards are capable of playing 22-25 minutes a game?

The shift in the NHL is now going to "super lines"...

CLICK HERE full article >Oilers consider loading up as NHL leans into theory of super lines - Sportsnet.ca

Are the new “super lines” the way of the future?
“It looks like it,” Peters said this week. “Teams are having unreal success with it — Boston, Colorado. You watch those kids play, and it makes sense. It makes it easier, as a coach, to get those people consistent ice time.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So who is the Habs super line goona be???
What 3 forwards are capable of playing 22-25 minutes a game?

The shift in the NHL is now going to "super lines"...

CLICK HERE full article >Oilers consider loading up as NHL leans into theory of super lines - Sportsnet.ca

I though that the opposite was happening.

Does anyone remember the Spezza-Heatley-Alfredsson line from 2007? They were deemed unstoppable, until they went up against Pronger and Niedermeyer.

I expect that super lines will be less effective come playoff time, due to the issue of matchups.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

Does anyone remember the Spezza-Heatley-Alfredsson line from 2007? They were deemed unstoppable, until they went up against Pronger and Niedermeyer.

I expect that super lines will be less effective come playoff time, due to the issue of matchups.

It's interesting how things will change if all 32 teams adopt "super lines"... I mean if you got your super line on the ice (22-25 min) every night in every NHL city, the Dmen are goona be worked alot harder all season no question....your goona need Dmen who can stay on the ice alot longer too....

Reactions: DAChampion

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Boston fans have been complaining about not splitting up their "super line" for a while now and with good reason.

One that line is contained, if your other lines can't compensate and score, you're done.

If you can't roll 4 lines, you're not winning a cup. It's that simple and the new reality of the NHL, the problem is with coaches that haven't adapted to modern times or are lack depth to roll 4 lines so they put all their eggs in one basket and hope they can dominate.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
So all of a sudden, perhaps a more traditional , checking 3rd line is what you might try to implement. It would have to be a very fast line. Defensively it would be dangerous for your D men to pinch against a line like that.

You would want to slow a line like that down through the neutral zone and allow no odd man rushes because the skill set is too high. On the cycle you need to be first on the puck because once those guys set up it's all tic tac toe passing.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The closest thing to a super line we got in recent years was Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev.

That line was pure fire in 2009.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
The closest thing to a super line we got in recent years was Tanguay-Koivu-Kovalev.

Pacioretty - DD - Vanek was one of the best line when they where reunited

And the next superline will probably be:

Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I could swear that I heard pundits on 690 talk say that the NHL was all about "super duos" now, not lines. It was all about putting together the best duo.

I can't remember the rationale behind it.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

They got pretty damn far. It was just the Ducks were better built than the Sens. Also, the Sens were broken down and injured iirc.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

They only played together for like 20 games iirc and they kicked butt. Makes you wonder why that didn't happen sooner.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
They only played together for like 20 games iirc and they kicked butt. Makes you wonder why that didn't happen sooner.

Carbonneau had the misconception that Koivu and Kovalev don't play well together.

His lines that year made no sense. He waited way too long to break up Koivu-Higgins and Kovalev-Plekanec. He also broke up Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse for no reason, and waited until his last game as coach to try Tanguay-Koivu-Kostitsyn.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
There's really only Domi that's playing at that level consistently. But let's say game 7, dying minutes, I'd send Tatar-Domi-Kotkaniemi.

Last edited:

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There's really only Domi that's playing at that level consistently. But if I had to send a game 7, dying minutes line, it'd be Tatar-Domi-Kotkaniemi.
Not sure Kotkaniemi can do it yet. Drouin or Gallagher I'd prefer.

Carbonneau had the misconception that Koivu and Kovalev don't play well together.

His lines that year made no sense. He waited way too long to break up Koivu-Higgins and Kovalev-Plekanec. He also broke up Tanguay-Koivu-Latendresse for no reason, and waited until his last game as coach to try Tanguay-Koivu-Kostitsyn.
I used to champion him and argue on his behalf. I think his team had poor depth and didn't adjust to the post-lockout NHL properly. In hindsight, his approach was bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->