NHL teams boycotting Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Players that are dressing for their NHL teams keep withdrawing from the Olympic games to use the break as a rest/rehab period.
:speechles

question: once teams' doctors suggest their players to not take part to heel a physical problem, can they suspend payments to a player (until he comes back) in the case he decides to go to Torino none the less and gets injured? Can they use this threat (be it openly or covertly) to discourage a player from taking part?

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
helicecopter said:
Players that are dressing for their NHL teams keep withdrawing from the Olympic games to use the break as a rest/rehab period.

question: once teams' doctors suggest their players to not take part to heel a physical problem, can they suspend payments to a player (until he comes back) in the case he decides to go to Torino none the less and gets injured? Can they use this threat (be it openly or covertly) to discourage a player from taking part?

That would not hold in court, but I dont think players really want to argue much with their employer. It's the morality and ethics of these employers that is in question here. They know their players will listen when they tell them not to, they just should not be telling the players this.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I can't imagine they could get away with that, I mean the owners won the Lo****t (that's dirty word), but I can't imagine they won that much. Besides for younger guys like Lethonen and Kiprusoft, staying out and rehabing means they can earn longer and they can always complete later. These guys don't want to jeprodize their futures. Though I get what your staying.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
helicecopter said:

No they can't because of the NHL-IOC agreement, NHL teams aren't meant to have any say in weather players participate or not. Unfortunately, with circumstance they have the back door of "you need a rest, rest now"

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
No they can't because of the NHL-IOC agreement, NHL teams aren't meant to have any say in weather players participate or not. Unfortunately, with circumstance they have the back door of "you need a rest, rest now"
:shakehead
So it seems to be that they couldn't but they do!

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Sotnos said:
The NHL is paying these guys' salary, it needs to be priority #1;
The NHL teams pay salaries to make the players play in the NHL (and they are doing it), not to not play in other competition while the NHL is closed.

That means it's right players don't stop playing in the NHL the last weeks before the games to heel their minor injuries in order to be in perfect shape for the Olympics, but that's it.

Sotnos said:
glad to see some of them are making it so.
Are you sure they feel 100% free to decide?

Davisian

Feb 27, 2002
Broomfield, CO
Visit site
I wish all Rangers would call in sick for the Olympics..

I'm still one of those that thinks it should be amatuers, or at least Pro's who haven't played more than, lets say, 10 NHL games..

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Davisian said:

I'm still one of those that thinks it should be amatuers, or at least Pro's who haven't played more than, lets say, 10 NHL games..
I wish all your rangers got injured in their first game after the Olympics!! :jump:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
It is just a Finnish conspiracy. Nabby can go, Lundqvist can go.Kolzig can play, Aebischer and Gerber are allowed Vokoun? Hasek? No problem there.. So two Finnish players are not playing and all of the sudden the NHL is is trying to stop players from playing. Take the blinders off and see how many ARE playing. Enough with the unbelievable whining.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
SwisshockeyAcademy said:
It is just a Finnish conspiracy. Nabby can go, Lundqvist can go.Kolzig can play, Aebischer and Gerber are allowed Vokoun? Hasek? No problem there..
Are they suffering from any kind of injuries?

SwisshockeyAcademy said:
So two Finnish players are not playing and all of the sudden the NHL is is trying to stop players from playing.
Fedorov and Samsonov are playing for their NHL teams and were not Finnish last time i checked though.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
psycho_dad said:
That would not hold in court, but I dont think players really want to argue much with their employer. It's the morality and ethics of these employers that is in question here. They know their players will listen when they tell them not to, they just should not be telling the players this.

Why not?

If I were an Owner I would have every right to tell my player (employe) that he could not play in any non team function.

I can not understand how it is imoral or unethical to tell a player who is injured or in need of rest to not go to the Olympics.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
GagsIsDaMan said:
Why not?

If I were an Owner I would have every right to tell my player (employe) that he could not play in any non team function.

I can not understand how it is imoral or unethical to tell a player who is injured or in need of rest to not go to the Olympics.

It is when they are saying "you can play for us but you cant play for your country even though the league says you can". If they were injured, I would understand that they cant play. Then they would not play for their team either.

Piggymon

Sep 19, 2005
Davisian said:

Yeah who wouldn't want amateurs in the Olympics. So it would be like now, except no one would be watching and the level of play would be a million times lower. Sounds like a dream come true. Because that's the way it's SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!

steafo

Sep 26, 2005
Michigan
I don't think its right that an NHL team can sway their decision either way. Granted they have an obligation to their team but as far as i'm concerned you are an athlete and you have an obligation to your country during your time off if you are healthy. Which is why Lehtonan and Kipper seem to be taking time off.

After saying this, if I ran an NHL team I would kind of hint that I would rather them take it off so they can heighten their chances of being healthy for the playoffs/rest of the season but I don't think I would hold it against anyone for going out and representing their country.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Piggymon said:
Yeah who wouldn't want amateurs in the Olympics. So it would be like now, except no one would be watching and the level of play would be a million times lower. Sounds like a dream come true. Because that's the way it's SUPPOSED TO BE!!!!

Everybody outside North America (and many inside as well) would still be watching, albeit with less enthusiasm.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
GagsIsDaMan said:

The NHL teams pay salaries to the players to play in the NHL (and they are doing it), not to not play in other competition while the NHL is closed.

Piggymon

Sep 19, 2005
Boucicaut said:
Everybody outside North America (and many inside as well) would still be watching, albeit with less enthusiasm.
I'm not so sure... "Amateurs" would mean a lot lower level than the world championships.

Piggymon

Sep 19, 2005
Machoking2003-04 said:
The olympics suck. The only people who care about them are Canadians. They are bitter about the other countries taking "THEIR" jobs away, and they want to say to the world.

na na nah na na
Actually, pretty much everyone cares about it, except a few guys who just can't take it when they're not winning.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Machoking2003-04 said:
The olympics suck. The only people who care about them are Canadians. They are bitter about the other countries taking "THEIR" jobs away, and they want to say to the world.
:joker:

Actually it's that the only people thinking the NHL is more important than the Olympics are Americans!
Everyone aside from (not winning) Americans care more about Olympics than about the NHL.

note: everyone aside Americans basically means THE WORLD!

Last edited:

Davisian

Feb 27, 2002
Broomfield, CO
Visit site
Piggymon said:

You must be too young to remember the Olympics before the pro's.

The level of play was almost, that's ALMOST, on par, as the teams had been together longer and played together better.

And it was never lacking in excitement, nor viewers.

I'd rather see National teams go at it, then a bunch of Pro's take a couple weeks off for Exhibitions sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->