NHL teams bail on Canadian Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Every year all we hear is how Canada hasn't won a WJC gold since 1997. Winning Olympic gols has eased the pain, but Canada has not been that bad since then either. They have won medals in all of the last 5 tournaments. The problem is who ISN'T there. It is not an excuse because we loose fair and square, but why can't NHL teams lend us some more players? In Europe or Russia players usually don't make the team at 18. But in Canada they always keep them younger?
In 1998 we came in 8th place. That was awful. But don't you think Thornton, Marleau, Devereaux, Morris and Phillips would have helped? Thornton scored 3 goals that year. Boston should have released him. In 1999 the same thing with Thornton, Marleau, Lecavalier, Malhotra and Brewer. Lecavalier shoud have been there. In 2000 Gagne, Lecavalier, Fisher, Fata, defense: Girard, Regehr were kept on their NHL teams. Are you telling me Calgary couldn't have spared Fata? In 2001 it wasn't so bad with Hartnell, Williams and Pyatt gone. In 2002 it was only Hartnell and Blackburn. That team blew a two goal lead twice agianst the Russians and was the better team. That was the best team we had since '95. We did have all of our guys that year and should have won. Blackburn probably wouldn't have choked like Leclaire. In 2003 we don't have Spezza, Weiss, Nash, Bouwmeester, Blackburn. That hurt us very bad. Now we may not have Horton, Staal and Fleury won't be touched in my opinion, Nash isn't going to go and Bouchard is tearing it up too. Only Bergeron and Burns might go. But if they don't, that;s still seven guys Canada could have. Because if they had released those players we'd be looking at probably 4or 5 golds in the past 6 years.
Release your players NHL! At leaST GIVE US Horton, Bergeron and Burns. The rest I can understand.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Every country that has a chance to win the gold medal will have to deal with this issue more and more, not just Canada.

Personally, I think that guys that have already graduated to the pro ranks shouldn't be returned to play in the WJC. In fact, guys in their teens should also be allowed to play in the AHL but that's another issue. The WJC should be a coming-out-party of sorts for players, not a final hurrah for a player that already has scored big goals in the NHL.

Forget about Horton, Bergeron et al. This tournament should focus on the likes of Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin, etc. I'd rather see Corey Locke get a chance to see what he can do against the best juniors in the World than to see Horton or Bergeron get "demoted" for two weeks.

Just one man's opinion.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Last year, the russian team won the U20 gold without Kovalchuk ( first round pick overall and probable future franchise player), Chistov ( fifth round overall), Semin ( 13th overall) and Babchuk (21th overall).

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
paul99 said:
Last year, the russian team won the U20 gold without Kovalchuk ( first round pick overall and probable future franchise player), Chistov ( fifth round overall), Semin ( 13th overall) and Babchuk (21th overall).

Yeah, but the reason Semin or Babchuck didn't make the team wasn't because they were in the NHL, they were still playing in Russia. The coach choose not to have them on the team. Many Canadians selected in the 1st round of an NHL entry draft don't make the world junior team either.

Sammy*

paul99 said:
Few points.
First, I dont think its "probable" that Kovalchuk will be a franchise player. I think its a gimme & he probably already is.
2nd, as refrenced above, Semin & Babchuk could have played, they were judged not worthy.
3rd, only the most biased observer would argue against the fact that Canada is hurt way worse than any other team by eligible players playing in the NHL.

paul99

Sep 5, 2003
Montreal, PQ
Sammy said:
Few points.
First, I dont think its "probable" that Kovalchuk will be a franchise player. I think its a gimme & he probably already is.
2nd, as refrenced above, Semin & Babchuk could have played, they were judged mot worthy.
3rd, only the most biased observer would argue against the fact that Canada his hurt way worse than any other team by eligible players playing in the NHL.

You have your opinion. In mine, I prefer to wait more than years before affirming a 20 YO player is a «gimme » franchise player. Just 2 months ago, many observers thought that Kovalkchuk had a great record in his first two years because he played with Heatly.

The Canadian Team is for sure paying for his geographic proximity to the NHL teams. I only wanted to point out that it is not the only one and that it would not have made any change last year...

Personnaly I would agree that a rule forces the NHL teams to release all eligible players for the World Championship. I would also prefer that 18 YO juniors be available for Entry Draft but would not be eligible to play until they reach 19. In most of the cases, it would be better for the kids development ( there is an excellent thread about it right here) and it would also be a great help for the junior team franchise owners to get some income for the kids theyr developed. Just to name one: How many dollars lost Chicoutimi last year because they lost PM Bouchard to Minnesota?

Edit: Carolina did not want to release Igor Knyazev, another 2001 first round pick.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
NHL teams shouldn't be forced to send players to any tournament. They have a financial investment in these guys, and removing a regular contributor to the lineup for the purpose of what is essentially an exhibition tournament is ripping off the fans who pay money to see these guys. This is especially true for players who have already shown they can hang in the NHL and make an impact. Last year Kovalchuk played for the Russian olympic team, does he really need to go to the WJCs and play with a bunch of kids below his level? Same goes for Rick Nash this year, this is a guy who could play for Canada in the 2004 World Cup; what will he gain playing at a junior tournament?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Couldn't agree more with everything Epsilon played. And the Canadian Junior Leagues indirectly DO have a transfer fee, it's called the rule that allows CHL teams to keep players that aren't yet ready for the NHL but aren't allowed to toil in the AHL as teens. That is the CHL's reward for no transfer fees. And it's a bad rule which hurts the Canadian players and hurts the NHL teams. And for what? An extra year of junior hockey.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Once there in the Professional leagues give the next in line a chance to play and remember it's a tournament for the young players who have'nt made it to show what they can do in order to get to the next level. The Olympics should be the only all out event for country vs country that determines who is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad