League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
everyone has a limit....stop trying to generalize what I’m saying. I’ve said it depends, one instance is different than another and not all are so melodramatic as you’re suggesting.

Teaching my daughter someday to stand up against this kind of treatment be it by girls/kids her own age, a man, or a boss scares me as a parent because bullies are hard to deal with at any age, but I won’t tell her to just accept it because she would have to change jobs or even careers.

So back to the hockey piece of this debate, if my kid played for a coach who made racists comments or was otherwise truly abusive, no chance I would condone it as a parent or want my kid to take it because that’s what it takes to make it at the top level, ie they have no other choice.

But... that will cost you (a lot most probably). Can you afford it? Not many can.

PS: I think it's worth to burn some resources for ones kid however it really requires time and money and will. Adapting to some tough circumstances (most situations are less life threatening than extreme scenarios) will be much cheaper (money/time/skills) and most people do just that.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Not sure what you mean, but it's an entirely possible anecdote illustrating why "stand up and be a man" will cause people to think twice when they're at a severe disadvantage and the stakes are high.

I mean, isn't that obvious to everyone?

Possible? Absolutely. In any way likely? That yarn you spun? No. I’m surprised you didn’t have someone cutting his break line and killing his dog.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Let's move on from the discussion of responding to abuse. We've all said our piece. I am perplexed by some of the responses here, as I'm sure most are one way or the other, but further debate isn't going to resolve that and will likely result in mod actions.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Possible? Absolutely. In any way likely? That yarn you spun? No. I’m surprised you didn’t have someone cutting his break line and killing his dog.

So you think that KIND of thing doesn't happen? OK.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But... that will cost you (a lot most probably). Can you afford it? Not many can.

PS: I think it's worth to burn some resources for ones kid however it really requires time and money and will. Adapting to some tough circumstances (most situations are less life threatening than extreme scenarios) will be much cheaper (money/time/skills) and most people do just that.

we’re talking clear cases of abuse, not just tough situations. Yes, standard tough situations people adapt most of the time.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Boston loses again 3-2 to TBay. 0-4-1 in their last 5. A hot start but coming down to earth again.

Sadly, both the Isles and Pens won.

First place Coyotes (I love the sound of that) 3-0 on Chicago after one period.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Wow - San Jose up 3-2 going into the 3rd. Jones lets in 3 goals in 8 minutes and Rangers win 6-3 (empty netter).

DeBoer probably wasn't the guy who needed to be fired. If I was a team owner I'd be showing the GM the door and saying get the f*** out

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Might start a main board thread called "Goalies who are empty shells of their former selves".

Jones
Schneider

Goalies don’t fall off a cliff like Schneider did. I wonder what happened to him, it’s not like he was a system goalie in his prime.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
So if I looked at the stats right, we are a hair behind Colorado in G/G. People keep talking about how dangerous they are and we are neck and neck.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
To me, I thought he did well. He was big in defeating my team (Steelers) in the playoffs in a big OT upset. He didn't really have a chance imho. He seems to be doing ok though.
He still sucked. Basically took damn near having 11 defenders in the box and he still floated one hell of a duck. Guy would have been great at H-back, TE, etc but he his ego was too big to allow for that, so he went and failed at like AA baseball.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Tebow sucked as an NFL quarterback by every metric except one. His team won the games when they lost without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad