League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
But sexual harassment is illegal. I thought it wasn't an illegal thing he did.
True, maybe he was having a consensual affair with an employee or spouse of an employee? It wasn't illegal, it wasn't abuse and it was a "personal" matter. That's the only thing I could see that fits under those guidelines

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The main board thread indicates there was a Christmas party for the team Saturday night and an incident was reported Sunday morning. Some kind of sexual harassment would be my guess since they were able to fire him.

My guess is, he came of out the restroom wearing nothing but a Santa hat, doing the helicopter. Everyone thought is was funny but one humorless admin complained and threatened to share the video she took on Facebook.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
My guess is, he came of out the restroom wearing nothing but a Santa hat, doing the helicopter. Everyone thought is was funny but one humorless admin complained and threatened to share the video she took on Facebook.

Trying to visualize that scene gave me a good laugh. Thank you.

Reactions: AtNightWeFly

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Yeah it sure is. If not for the Caps I would stop paying for it. It's heading down the rabbit hole.

Honestly what sport/media isn't dealing with this stuff. Constantly flailing in the wind trying to appease every squeaky wheel out there. In todays society you have to show you are woke to women, minorities, disabled, LGBTQ, anti-violence, anti-gun, pro-gun, free speech, hate speech, pro-life, pro-choice, on and on and on. And in order to do that your constantly changing rules, procedures, and making up events to make everyone happy. Public opinion and social media weigh more than actual due process and the product on the field. Look at the NBA, they have gone full on stupid and care more about the drama between players off the court to drive their product then the game its self. We can't go one month without a new rule some where on hiring, firing, behavior, or a "tribute to ____" event.

Maybe I misread your post and I'm just a grumpy old man, so if I did I'm sorry. It would just be refreshing if the NHL said "we are focused on putting the best hockey on the ice as possible" and that was it.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I dont know about that. I think other sports leagues have a LOT more issues popping up than the NHL. At least more serious issues.

Issues with domestic violence.
Issues with organizational wide systematic cheating (Astros, Patriots).
Issues with physical assaults

The NHL has its problems, but I dont think its anymore in the toilet than other leagues.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Yeah it sure is. If not for the Caps I would stop paying for it. It's heading down the rabbit hole.
Really tired reading all this stuff how everyone complaining about everything, someone said something hundred years ago and getting shit on by everyone now. Some do that because they legit angry, some just for the sake of shitting and bitching. Just annoying. If someone punched you in the locker room or on the bench or said something, punch back and make it known publicly. If you made the choice to be silent then be silent forever. If it bothers you then man up and stand up for yourself right away. What the hell is this investigation of some inproper language used by coach God knows how many years ago? And this Babcock story is ridiculous. Had that team won game 7 last year, no one would give a damn what he told the team about Marner. Just collective beatdown of a man who didn't meet the media's expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
A team that has Barry Trotz doesn't have these issues. Someone on Barry Trotz's staff has to carry that level or cleanliness. Reirden is clean and reliable. Thanks to Ted

Unless you have some insider knowledge or relationship with the organisation, how can you make a statement like this? I am quite sure the Flames and the Stars felt exactly the same way about their organisations up until what happened, happened....

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Looks like TB might win tonight. Good news. If they got spanked again, I think Cooper might have been canned. Meaning the Bolts would get the new coach bounce against the Caps.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Unless you have some insider knowledge or relationship with the organisation, how can you make a statement like this? I am quite sure the Flames and the Stars felt exactly the same way about their organisations up until what happened, happened....

Well, its not that hard when it comes to Trotz. Now is it? I do know people that work for the league and in the hockey media and have a long professional relationship in Nashville. You really cant tell the difference in quality of one person's character over that of another successful person's? I am fairly sure that neither Calgary nor Dallas thought their coaches were beyond reproach. But I wont argue with you. If you think there is a scum bag hiding in the Trotz locker, that's up to you.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Well, its not that hard when it comes to Trotz. Now is it? I do know people that work for the league and in the hockey media and have a long professional relationship in Nashville. You really cant tell the difference in quality of one person's character over that of another successful person's? I am fairly sure that neither Calgary nor Dallas thought their coaches were beyond reproach. But I wont argue with you. If you think there is a scum bag hiding in the Trotz locker, that's up to you.

Oh I consider myself an extremely good judge of character but that has nothing to do with the NHL because I don't know anybody in the organisation on a personal level, so anything I were to suggest would be based on assumptions - not a good criteria, I'm sure you'll agree.
My question was how YOU could be so sure that Trotz and the current Caps coaching staff are squeaky clean and free of skeletons in their closets. And you answered it. (No argument required :thumbu: )

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Surely we have a lot of entertainment in every thread about various topics... but Caps hockey isn't one of them

We like our impressive team

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I used to feel positively/neutral about the Sharks.

But due to several annoying Sharks fans on the main boards and because I feel bad for Sens fans I find myself rooting against them heavily.

Go Preds.

Yeah I don't like the Sharks anymore either. I am starting to feel the same way about Calgary for exactly the same reasons you've given. Many of their fans seem to be......unpleasant

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Really tired reading all this stuff how everyone complaining about everything, someone said something hundred years ago and getting **** on by everyone now. Some do that because they legit angry, some just for the sake of ****ting and *****ing. Just annoying. If someone punched you in the locker room or on the bench or said something, punch back and make it known publicly. If you made the choice to be silent then be silent forever. If it bothers you then man up and stand up for yourself right away. What the hell is this investigation of some inproper language used by coach God knows how many years ago? And this Babcock story is ridiculous. Had that team won game 7 last year, no one would give a damn what he told the team about Marner. Just collective beatdown of a man who didn't meet the media's expectations.
Wow, dude.

If someone in a position of power abuses someone who isn't in a position of power you don't understand why they keep they mouth shut for fear of losing their job?

Babcock's conduct is objectively bad - I do agree that while he was winning it was being swept under the carpet which is bad, and as soon as he started losing he was fed to the wolves. The Leafs and Red Wings look like shit for doing this.

If you were Marner, a rookie in the league with sky high expectations playing in probably the most high pressure media centric team in the league for one of the most well respected coaches in the league would you really speak up and say "this guy was an asshole to me and crossed the line"?

No. He wanted to follow his dream and play in the NHL so he toughed it out and took the abuse.

Dozens more players would have done the same while having far less chance of staying in the league with or without the potential damage to their reputation that speaking out might cause.

Don't want to get too political but look at the NFL players who took a stand (for something outside of the league) and have been completely ostracized.

If you're big and tough enough to always stick up for yourself even when you're risking career suicide then I admire your courage, but I completely understand those who don't in that situation.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Wow, dude.

If someone in a position of power abuses someone who isn't in a position of power you don't understand why they keep they mouth shut for fear of losing their job?

Babcock's conduct is objectively bad - I do agree that while he was winning it was being swept under the carpet which is bad, and as soon as he started losing he was fed to the wolves. The Leafs and Red Wings look like **** for doing this.

If you were Marner, a rookie in the league with sky high expectations playing in probably the most high pressure media centric team in the league for one of the most well respected coaches in the league would you really speak up and say "this guy was an ******* to me and crossed the line"?

No. He wanted to follow his dream and play in the NHL so he toughed it out and took the abuse.

Dozens more players would have done the same while having far less chance of staying in the league with or without the potential damage to their reputation that speaking out might cause.

Don't want to get too political but look at the NFL players who took a stand (for something outside of the league) and have been completely ostracized.

If you're big and tough enough to always stick up for yourself even when you're risking career suicide then I admire your courage, but I completely understand those who don't in that situation.
That's why I said if you choose to be silent then be silent forever, if not - no one would say a damn word to you if you go out there and talk about what happened right away. Also, NFL and NHL have a pretty different approach to things and their issues have different nature. I don't think you can compare them. But when you "stand up for yourself" 10 years later riding the wave of everyone taking a dump on person who you had a problem with then that's lame and I don't care what you were scared of at the time. To be man enough is not always about physical strength. I'd say it's almost always not about physical strength. It's how you handle things that happen to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: IafrateOvie34

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That's why I said if you choose to be silent then be silent forever, if not - no one would say a damn word to you if you go out there and talk about what happened right away. Also, NFL and NHL have a pretty different approach to things and their issues have different nature. I don't think you can compare them. But when you "stand up for yourself" 10 years later riding the wave of everyone taking a dump on person who you had a problem with then that's lame and I don't care what you were scared of at the time. To be man enough is not always about physical strength. I'd say it's almost always not about physical strength. It's how you handle things that happen to you.

This post is all types of sad. Didn’t know you were the authority on deciding what being a man means or determining what the statute of limitations is for disclosing bad shit that happened to you. Ever consider maybe it takes more strength to come forward later because you stand to gain nothing personally but still sign up for the scrutiny? What’s dishonorable about wanting to ensure stuff that happened to you doesn’t happen to other people? And why should people have to have a life sentence of carrying that burden if they don’t talk right away?

These aren’t people anonymously telling other people how tough they are behind a made up name on a computer screen. These are real people speaking out on actual issues and letting society judge their words, for better or worse.

And I think it’s totally garbage to say that no one would say a word to these people if they spoke out right away. One, that’s completely false and people will still rip them apart if it doesn’t fit their own narrative about toughness in sports or some other personal agenda, and it could jeopardize their career and two, maybe they’re not ready to talk about it. Maybe they haven’t fully processed it or comprehended the extent of the situation. Either way, no one else but themselves gets to decide if or when they tell their story even and especially if you or others don’t agree with it.

Sep 19, 2008
I used to feel positively/neutral about the Sharks.

But due to several annoying Sharks fans on the main boards and because I feel bad for Sens fans I find myself rooting against them heavily.

Go Preds.
Sharks fans can be extremely conceited. I know a few on the main boards too who are very arrogant about their team and aren't willing to acknowledge that the Sharks aren't any good. Every year it is the same crap from them. They never, ever criticize them.

That, plus Thornton taking Oshie out with a DIRTY hit as well as Kane on Gudas, and there is no reason for me to cheer for San Jose.

It is "popular" to "cheer for Caps West" because they " struggled in the playoffs like the Caps did" yet San Jose has repeatedly won playoff series (with or without the assistance of officiating which is another reason to detest them) and has made the Western Conference Final twice in the last 5 years.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This post is all types of sad. Didn’t know you were the authority on deciding what being a man means or determining what the statute of limitations is for disclosing bad **** that happened to you. Ever consider maybe it takes more strength to come forward later because you stand to gain nothing personally but still sign up for the scrutiny? What’s dishonorable about wanting to ensure stuff that happened to you doesn’t happen to other people? And why should people have to have a life sentence of carrying that burden if they don’t talk right away?

These aren’t people anonymously telling other people how tough they are behind a made up name on a computer screen. These are real people speaking out on actual issues and letting society judge their words, for better or worse.

And I think it’s totally garbage to say that no one would say a word to these people if they spoke out right away. One, that’s completely false and people will still rip them apart if it doesn’t fit their own narrative about toughness in sports or some other personal agenda, and it could jeopardize their career and two, maybe they’re not ready to talk about it. Maybe they haven’t fully processed it or comprehended the extent of the situation. Either way, no one else but themselves gets to decide if or when they tell their story even and especially if you or others don’t agree with it.
I'm not an authority, that's my opinion and I guarantee you I can share it with anyone while looking equally "tough" behind a screen with a made up name or in real life. What these people gain from this stuff is obvious. They get attention, become relevant in their own way while they were absolutely irrelevant beforehand and these are things that are easily monetized in today's life. They'd had nothing to gain from it at the time when that bad stuff happened to them aside from self respect but of course self-respect is not appealing enough to risk it all and step forward. Instead you do it years later when it's cool and popular and ruin someone's life just because you didn't have the balls big enough to handle the problem with someone you didn't like. Especially embarrassing for a guy of Aliu size who could have easily put anybody in their place if he wanted to. Now that everyone knows that you're a bad hockey player and all you can do from this situation is gain something, not lose, you go out there and play a hero, courageous guy who speaks up his mind on big social matter. Just lame all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad