League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ownership need to decide if the money they owe Cooper (if they fire him) is worth more than another wasted season. And the obvious answer is - no way.
The Lightning are currently a team that's in "win now" mode. And let's be honest - they really should have won the Cup after such an amazing regular season.
As somebody else said, it might be too early to fire Cooper - there are FIVE teams in the Atlantic within 2 points of each other so a couple of wins could put them in 2nd place. But the team has only twice
won 3 games in a row this season and that doesn't look like a team that is suddenly going to solve everything and march to the top of the league. I really think there are a lot of unhappy players in that locker
room who blame Cooper for what happened. Imagine being as good as they were last season and then hitting a brick wall like they did in the playoffs and having NO answer, and your coach having NO answer (in the press conferences
he sounded clueless). Gotta take it's toll and I think that's what we're seeing.

Sounds a lot like a Presidents Trophy team from 16-17. People wanted that coach fired afterwards and the team struggled out of the gate the next season.

I forget the rest.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Unless we crap the bed or the Pens win like 10 in a row....I will say it.

It’s Metro 6.0?

I don't know if the Pens are gonna win the Metro but I think when they get everyone back they are gonna be a scary team.

They are winning games without Crosby, which for the record they usually do, Malkin is on fire, Geuntzal is their Vrana, and Jarry has been solid. Add Crosby, Rust, Dumoulin and to a lesser extent their shit disturber Hornqvist, combined with their relentless forecheck, and come playoff time they will be a tough matchup for anyone. :cry:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Sounds a lot like a Presidents Trophy team from 16-17. People wanted that coach fired afterwards and the team struggled out of the gate the next season.

I forget the rest.

IMO it's not the same situation at all.

Trotz was coach of the Caps for four seasons. I think it's safe to say if they hadn't won a Cup he would have been fired.

Cooper is in his 7th season with the Bolts. Yes they have a very good record under Cooper but it's obvious the team is "broken". Whether that is all on Cooper or not,
I think he's the one who takes the fall. It's pretty much par for the course when a team needs a shake up - and they certainly need a shake up.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Colorado is pushing around Boston right now, and if they really do get Taylor Hall like they are rumored to soon, damnnn
Colorado is for real. At this point I'm not sure sure that they need an upgrade on offense. Maybe someone for the depth on D but nothing big. Grubauer's constant injuries are concerning, maybe they will need a goalie too.

Reactions: tenken00

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
IMO it's not the same situation at all.

Trotz was coach of the Caps for four seasons. I think it's safe to say if they hadn't won a Cup he would have been fired.

Cooper is in his 7th season with the Bolts. Yes they have a very good record under Cooper but it's obvious the team is "broken". Whether that is all on Cooper or not,
I think he's the one who takes the fall. It's pretty much par for the course when a team needs a shake up - and they certainly need a shake up.
They have a hang over right now. As did the Caps to start 2018. They are better in goal differential than all but 3 teams in the East, and have many games in hand. I’m going to wager they will be in 2nd in the Atlantic shortly. And won’t look back.

candidly, now Boston will get the WC from the Metro. Tampa will get some other Atlantic turd for round 1. It’s to their benefit

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Fun fact, points wise, the metro has five teams in the top ten in the league.

I know that the Islanders have 2 games in hand, but it's kind of crazy to see that even after they had that 17 game point streak, winning 15 of them, they are only 1 point above the Flyers and 3 points clear of 5th place Carolina.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Fun fact, points wise, the metro has five teams in the top ten in the league.

The Caps schedule has been really western conf. heavy. If the rest of the Metro is similar, that helps to explain that a little. For certain, if the Caps keep this up they are going to get some big separation when they start knocking back two point nights against east teams every game

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know that the Islanders have 2 games in hand, but it's kind of crazy to see that even after they had that 17 game point streak, winning 15 of them, they are only 1 point above the Flyers and 3 points clear of 5th place Carolina.

The Islanders have 3 games in hand. Was 4 before they lost to Dallas last night. They have played 4 fewer road games than the Caps. So all those games in hand are road games. That really isn't a good sign for them. Same is true of Boston on the road schedule

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The Islanders have 3 games in hand. Was 4 before they lost to Dallas last night. They have played 4 fewer road games than the Caps. So all those games in hand are road games. That really isn't a good sign for them. Same is true of Boston on the road schedule

Oh I meant 2 games in hand from the Flyers-Penguins-Canes mass, which I guess they are now a part of.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They have a hang over right now. As did the Caps to start 2018

Different hangover. They have the Caps hangover after getting bounced by Montreal. Remember that was the team that was playing so badly that Bruce ditched the offense for a full press defense and they recovered. But Bruce was nearly fired then. This is more like that. The Lightning are broken hearted and embarrassed and questioning everything they thought they knew about themselves as a team and individually.

Reactions: Corby78 and Heath

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If they know how exactly they're going to utilize him, if he fits their game philosophy which I believe he does then it's not that irrational to bring a guy who was MVP a year and a half ago into an already very good team. The question is do they really know or they just eager to fill that cap space they have with some big name just in order to not regret that they stood pat at the deadline if they don't win it all in June. Then it's indeed a Shattenkirk syndrome. It all depends on how much homework they've already done on Hall.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Hall could very well make a similar impact as Kessel did after he was brought into a structured team where he wasn't the main focus.

Reactions: Raikkonen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->