League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
3rd game in 4 nights for both teams. Was for Caps aswell against the Canes. Some teams fare better than others in those situations. Especially in week 1. They are a good team if their goaltending holds up.

6 points is nice but seeing none of the wins are in in regulation is hardly dominant.

Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Carolina is definitely fast and tenacious, but they always have high shot counts because the choose quantity over quality.

This isn't accurate, especially last year. I think you can make the argument that they don't have much finishing talent compared to other NHL teams but the numbers suggest they actually do generate high quality chances: ranked 1st in expected goals for last year, 3rd in scoring chances for, and 1st in high-danger chances for.

Their other downfall besides lack of finishing talent could be goaltending which has been a chronic problem for them, but I don't like betting on that since they did get adequate (but not great) goaltending last year and the fact that goaltending can be such a volatile thing from year to year.

Reactions: Hivemind

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That sucks for Geno. As heated as the rivalry has been I've appreciated how much talent these two teams have.

Also watch the Pens miss the playoffs, hit the lottery, and draft Lafreniere.

Shut your gosh darn mouth you heathen!!!

giphy.gif

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This isn't accurate, especially last year. I think you can make the argument that they don't have much finishing talent compared to other NHL teams but the numbers suggest they actually do generate high quality chances: ranked 1st in expected goals for last year, 3rd in scoring chances for, and 1st in high-danger chances for.

Their other downfall besides lack of finishing talent could be goaltending which has been a chronic problem for them, but I don't like betting on that since they did get adequate (but not great) goaltending last year and the fact that goaltending can be such a volatile thing from year to year.
These things are not mutually exclusive. They definitely prioritize quantity in shots. If they also get quality, that's fine, but they throw everything to the net whether high-danger or not. Chances for is fine. But what's their shooting percentage?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
These things are not mutually exclusive. They definitely prioritize quantity in shots. If they also get quality, that's fine, but they throw everything to the net whether high-danger or not. Chances for is fine. But what's their shooting percentage?

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 2.30.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 2.33.34 PM.png

And the advanced stuff:
Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 2.34.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 2.35.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Their shooting percentage has been poor, close to 8% over the past several years. But I'm saying I think this is due to lack of scoring talent rather than any systemic thing implemented by their coaching staff.

Consider Bill Peters who suffered from having the 2nd lowest shooting percentage team in the NHL during his tenure in Carolina from 2014-2018 (behind only Buffalo, another team that has lacked scoring talent in recent memory). But last year Peters coached the Flames to the 3rd highest shooting percentage in the league behind only Washington and Tampa Bay while also being a top 5 shot-share team. Doesn't this suggest that maybe the problem in Carolina isn't with their system but with their lack of high-end scoring talent over the years?

With players like Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, and Niederreiter up front now they have a much more talented forward corps than they have had in the past. They still aren't nearly as talented as the top-end players from Washington, Pittsburgh, or Tampa Bay but I'd be surprised if they are in the basement of the NHL in terms of shooting percentage again. Because of their upgrade in forward talent and the indication that they will once again be a dominant puck-possession team I really think they can compete for the division, as long as they don't have poor goaltending as they had in the Peters years.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Their shooting percentage has been poor, close to 8% over the past several years. But I'm saying I think this is due to lack of scoring talent rather than any systemic thing implemented by their coaching staff.

Consider Bill Peters who suffered from having the 2nd lowest shooting percentage team in the NHL during his tenure in Carolina from 2014-2018 (behind only Buffalo, another team that has lacked scoring talent in recent memory). But last year Peters coached the Flames to the 3rd highest shooting percentage in the league behind only Washington and Tampa Bay while also being a top 5 shot-share team. Doesn't this suggest that maybe the problem in Carolina isn't with their system but with their lack of high-end scoring talent over the years?

With players like Aho, Svechnikov, Teravainen, and Niederreiter up front now they have a much more talented forward corps than they have had in the past. They still aren't nearly as talented as the top-end players from Washington, Pittsburgh, or Tampa Bay but I'd be surprised if they are in the basement of the NHL in terms of shooting percentage again. Because of their upgrade in forward talent and the indication that they will once again be a dominant puck-possession team I really think they can compete for the division, as long as they don't have poor goaltending as they had in the Peters years.
I guess we'll see.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Jets don't have any of the 7 D they consistently dressed last season playing tonight. No Morrissey is a massive break for the Penguins.

Dear god that defense looks putrid. Should be a good match-up against the current Penguins offense. :laugh:

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Jets don't have any of the 7 D they consistently dressed last season playing tonight. No Morrissey is a massive break for the Penguins.

Dear god that defense looks putrid. Should be a good match-up against the current Penguins offense. :laugh:
Have to wonder why they didn't take a look at Djoos when he was on waivers.

Too skinny and wouldn't suit a heavy game?

Odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->