League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
While I agree it is hard to believe, if they lowball him I can see him leaving. Their space is tight next season.

St. Louis Blues - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
And they have to pay Brayden Schenn too. Not that he will command a huge contract but he could have a big season and be around 6-8 million per year easily.

Pietrangelo is probably a bigger priority than Schenn and Bouwmeester... I don't see much of a problem.

If they want to keep Schenn than thats when they make moves... probably involving Allen and/or Steen.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Pietrangelo is probably a bigger priority than Schenn and Bouwmeester... I don't see much of a problem.

If they want to keep Schenn than thats when they make moves... probably involving Allen and/or Steen.
I wouldn't be shocked for them to make moves to keep Pietrangelo. Faulk is definitely a fall back option in the event they can't keep him around for whatever reason. There's definitely fat they could trim

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I wouldn't be shocked for them to make moves to keep Pietrangelo. Faulk is definitely a fall back option in the event they can't keep him around for whatever reason. There's definitely fat they could trim

they have 15 million in Cap space next summer... and unless St. Louis is focused on resigning lesser players I don't see the problem. This isn't a Holtby vs Backstrom situation, the more important player is obvious.

As for Faulk I think there plan is for him to be a #3/4 Dman with lots a PP1 time... it will give a little less ice time to Pietrangelo and Parayako but I don't think they are being demoted in their defensive duties.

There are many examples of great players on the third pairing or third lines, it's not a bad thing.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

I would work to get rid of schenn before pietrangelo

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If there’s a defense that could absorb losing a player like Pietrangelo, it’s St Louis’. I have to imagine the move for Faulk was because they saw how far apart they were on Pietrangelo’s contract and made this move to be prepared for his departure. Parayko should be ready to be handed that top gig next year, and Faulk gives them a new PP option and 2nd pairing RD. Definitely not as strong as Pietrangelo/Parakyo down the right side, but still should be enough to be competitive. If extending Pietr was never a real option, this course makes sense.

Jun 15, 2007
6x9.25 for Rantanen.

1.65 less than Marner for a very comparable player. Maybe even better.

Completely different situations of course, but Ovechkin can't take more than that if we are to be competitive.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
At least they're all genuinely great players, so it's not like he's spending big money on an Andrew Ladd or a David Backes.

Although I could argue Nylander isn't so great. It's too bad for the Leafs that his contract wasn't the last one that had to be negotiated.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Dominik Zrim at CapFriendly.com, the indispensable site Zrim co-founded with Jamie Davis, put together a list of Cup winners and finalists circa 2012-13, when the current collective bargaining agreement came into effect. That’s a collection of 14 teams that either won the Cup or were in the building when it was hoisted. And the bad news, if you’re a Maple Leafs fan, is that the bulk of those teams took a decidedly less top-heavy approach in team building. Twelve of the 14 teams had a top four that earned 41 per cent of the cap or less. And while none of the 14 teams that’s made the Cup final since 2012 had a single player banking an annual average value (AAV) north of $10 million, this season the Maple Leafs have three such high earners.

All I need to know. Dubas doesn't understand you need to build "a team", not just pay your butter soft, highly skilled, forwards who can produce in the regular season but over a seven game series get neutralized.

Why no recent Stanley Cup contender has paid its top four as much as the Maple Leafs will | The Star

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
In 2 years... Maybe Ovi won't be that good. A lot of games ahead.

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 9.30.37 PM.png

:laugh:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Lets be reality. 36 years old 35 goals per season should be 9,25M cap hit with term? I dont think so

8 is still my estimation

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
Forehead Matthews scored 2 goals opening night...shouldn't he be suspended for "Inappropriate Conduct?"

I wish Kuzy appealed his bull**** suspension. :madfire:

The color commentator called his performance a great response to adversity. I'm actually pretty disgusted with a take like that being vocalized.

Reactions: Hivemind
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad