League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
AlexBrovechkin8 said:
I agree with everything here except your take on Ekblad. I think he's been a disappointment relative to expectations, especially after his rookie season. I hope the head injuries did not take a permanent toll on him.
I dunno, 13/37 in 23:39 per game is pretty studly at his age. Possession metrics are a shade below 50%, but that's heavily influenced by d-zone starts. Dahlin, Chabot, and Werenski were the only younger defensemen to outproduce him this season (and he out-produced Dahlin at ES).

Jun 15, 2007
I can't believe they try to make the draft lottery into a TV special every year. It's literally just 55 minutes of rehashing stuff you know followed by 5 minutes of actual tension.

Anyway I hope Vancouver wins. Barring that, I hope Ottawa doesn't win, that fanbase has suffered enough.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
My dream result from draft lottery:

1) Arizona - They deserve it. I was shattered for them when they didnt get matthews.
2) Colorado - I woulda had them first and part of me still wants them to be first... oh the drama!
3) Wild - stay out west and I hate the Kings.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Metro teams winning the Draft Lottery? Is anyone even surprised anymore?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I like Brian Burke's idea that you can only have one first overall in a five year period. Seems like teams that really do suck, like the Canucks, Kings, Sens, never get that first pick. You can still get the second of third or fourth picks, just not the 1OA.

No lottery needed, just count it up from 31/32 to the Cup champ. If the team finishes last more than once in a five year period they automatically slot in at ten. Done.

They over corrected the Oilers problem and a lot of teams that need help get screwed because of it. Hell, look at Buffalo, they finished dead last with 54 points and still didn't get McDavid.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The NHL draft is mind boggling. IIRC they actually draw 6 balls. It would be easy to know only we don't get to see the drawing despite an hour of bullshit. I cannot believe they wait to start the playoffs an extra day to try to market this closed door crap. They are desperately and obviously fighting cries of rigged drafts for years, by making the draft order OVERLY random. Still in damage control, for gifting S1d to Mario.

They are over thinking this big time. Everything they do is to make every game competitive, but by not letting the worst teams get the best picks, they are undermining their own efforts. All of the loser 15 teams should be not eligible for the first pick, nor to move into the top 3.

Poorly run franchises waste away marketable talents and should be penalized in some way.

Here is a leaked photo from this years scandal showing the first 3 of the 6 winners in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: VaCaps Fan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I had a sneaking suspicion that the Rags would win....but 2nd is pretty solid. I was expecting the NHL to find a way to get Hughes to NYC....I guess NJ is close.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It’s like a game show for their jobs...

LOL... true dat! The reason most all of them look depressed? They already know they weren't the chosen ones and were just told to sit there and try and look excited when their name gets called.

IncomparableBoldCockerspaniel-max-1mb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad