League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Well, TBay are the heavy favourites. That was a good old fashioned whopping.

Trotz is good at getting his team to bounce back from bad losses, though.

They’ll be home for game 6 and they won’t get embarrassed again. Not guaranteeing a win or anything but it’ll be a close game.

Get to game 7 and all bets are off.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Aisles come out flat and getting punked. Guess their coach didn't prepare them. :naughty:

tumblr_inline_oni6afoYus1tczd0j_500.gif

The better and more impressive trick is to go down 3 games to 2 and then shut them out in back to back games. ;)

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
It's personally frustrating to see a team that's over the cap, and significantly so, win so easily against a Trotz team that's all about hard work and discipline (not the case tonight).

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
This thread is hilarious. All the usual suspects go radio silent after every Isles win and come out tripping over themselves after Tampa's wins yelling about Trotz getting punked. No shit, bro, Trotz has no business even sitting there in the conference finals with that roster but here he is.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Some people are just accepting reality instead of playing the "what if" hypothetical game. Yes yes, this is a discussion board and let's talk about stuffs and things and things and stuff. But imo there's a much lower value placed on conversations like this where all we're doing is pinin' for the fjords and coming off as bitter, jealous, sore losers.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Nashville fans did this in 2018?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Some people are just accepting reality instead of playing the "what if" hypothetical game. Yes yes, this is a discussion board and let's talk about stuffs and things and things and stuff. But imo there's a much lower value placed on conversations like this where all we're doing is pinin' for the fjords and coming off as bitter, jealous, sore losers.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Nashville fans did this in 2018?
Nashville made it to the SCF in 2016-17 with Lavi after never making it past the second round with Trotz so I doubt it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Nashville made it to the SCF in 2016-17 with Lavi after never making it past the second round with Trotz so I doubt it.

That would've been his 3rd season there, and with fewer points than the previous 2 years. Fwiw Lavi's first year with the Caps was his best regular season winning % of his entire career (edit: 2nd best behind 2017-2019)...

upload_2021-6-22_10-27-20.png

Last edited:
Reactions: StrikingDistance

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
This thread is hilarious. All the usual suspects go radio silent after every Isles win and come out tripping over themselves after Tampa's wins yelling about Trotz getting punked. No shit, bro, Trotz has no business even sitting there in the conference finals with that roster but here he is.

You're hilarious. I missed the last game but was stuck inside last night due to the storm. Where were you? An 8-0 loss in the Conference finals is definitely worth a jab at Trots on a forum where his lost love connections mope around all day wondering if he's going to call you back. He clearly didn't have his team ready and hasn't figured a way to mitigate Barzal's temper. He benched him several times during RS, but clearly isn't getting through. Hope the punk kid sits out the next game.

Also, if the inverse were true and the Bolts got stomped last night 8-0, there would be 20+ posts, including one of yours, lamenting the loss of Trots. However, you still find time to pump his tires the day after a humiliating loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Get bent. It's amazing that Trotz has his team 2 wins from the SCF. Hoping that they'll pull the monumental upset and knock off your darling team. :thumbu:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I suppose the whole reason that some people are upset is that they don't want to confront the idea that the team they love may have made a (pardon the pun) "monumental" mistake in letting Trotz (and Korn by extension) leave.

Owner Ted has always been a meddler. It's well known that he has significant input into who coaches the team. Is it a possibility that Ted, with his gigantic ego, somehow really p*ssed off Trotz?

For the record, I didn't have a problem with Trotz leaving and was optimistic that the Rear admiral would work out. I am still a fan of Lavi but if he bombs out again next year?

I'd like to see Trotz knock off the cheaters not so that the Caps look bad but because I genuinely like Trotz and it'd be great to see a huge underdog win.

Plus, Bettman would hate to see a Montreal versus Trotz Finals. That's enough to sign me up.

Reactions: twabby

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I suppose the whole reason that some people are upset is that they don't want to confront the idea that the team they love may have made a (pardon the pun) "monumental" mistake in letting Trotz (and Korn by extension) leave.

Owner Ted has always been a meddler. It's well known that he has significant input into who coaches the team. Is it a possibility that Ted, with his gigantic ego, somehow really p*ssed off Trotz?

For the record, I didn't have a problem with Trotz leaving and was optimistic that the Rear admiral would work out. I am still a fan of Lavi but if he bombs out again next year?

I'd like to see Trotz knock off the cheaters not so that the Caps look bad but because I genuinely like Trotz and it'd be great to see a huge underdog win.

Plus, Bettman would hate to see a Montreal versus Trotz Finals. That's enough to sign me up.

No. I don't care who did or didn't make a mistake. I can't speak for anyone else, but for me:
  • This topic was covered extensively when he departed
  • This topic is revisited whenever we're not doing well or his team is doing well
  • He is now the coach of a division rival. An opponent. If he was in another division, I could see cheering for his success.
  • As a coach of one of our rivals, their success is in direct conflict with our success. Someone has to win the division right? I don't want the Aisles to win a single game...ever.
  • If there was a 'Wish Barry was back' thread, it would be more than welcome. I could ignore the whole thread. But no, the banging of the Barry drum and beating of a dead horse is in every thread.
Finally, 'Lavi bombs out again'? This has also been discussed ad nauseum. Kinda difficult to win a series when most of the core players are injured. The Sammy OT mistake didn't help. Again, I don't see Barry doing much better in the POs with this battered group. Remember Barry was almost fired here too. Go read some Isles hot takes on their board....there are a lot of unhappy bots over there complaining about him.

Yours truly,
Todd R.

lol

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

I don't like the Islanders. I don't care about Trotz or the coaching staff. It is what it is, history. In fact I hate every team left in the playoffs and surprised I'm even following the rest of the playoffs. Montreal doing what they are doing is way more impressive. Caps did me a favor in saving TV subscription money and giving me more outdoor time.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Trotz winning again would lead this forum to an implosion of epic proportions. Kinda hilarious, but likely would get old fast. Also they’re a division rival, so screw them.

Every time I think I’d be okay with Tampa winning again (and they’re certainly the most talented team left), I remember their salary cap shenanigans and the fact they’re waaaay over the cap. Screw that circumvention.

Montreal I don’t like because f*** Montreal. And I want the Canadian drought to continue. It’s not even quite 30 years yet. ;)

So all aboard the Vegas bandwagon. I just hope Ryan Reaves is suddenly released and doesn’t get his name on the Cup for some reason.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Personally, if it isn't Trotz or the Habs, let it be the cheating Blightening. Yes they cheated but they can be roundly mocked for them exploiting a loophole.

Under no circumstances let crappy GMGM near the Cup. If you think Trotz winning the Cup would open the Caps up to ridicule, imagine crappy GMGM winning. *Ugh*

I have not forgotten GMGM wasting the prime years of Ovie's career.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

How can you read what people are posting and still come to that conclusion? There are basically two camps, "Caps shouldn't have let Trotz go" and "Caps didn't really have much of a choice in the end, either act magnanimously or bend over". Looking back and recognizing mistakes is hardly upsetting on a hockey forum, it's the re-writing history to make it a discussion when the reality is that negotiations were always dead in the water.

It's kind of like being upset that they didn't just purchase the Cup outright, you can be mad about it if you want but it wasn't ever realistically on the table so why are we wasting people's time arguing how we could have done something we couldn't have done?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well, TBay are the heavy favourites. That was a good old fashioned whopping.

Trotz is good at getting his team to bounce back from bad losses, though.

They’ll be home for game 6 and they won’t get embarrassed again. Not guaranteeing a win or anything but it’ll be a close game.

Get to game 7 and all bets are off.
The Isles had a couple bad bounces early and it was all downhill from there.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
How can you read what people are posting and still come to that conclusion? There are basically two camps, "Caps shouldn't have let Trotz go" and "Caps didn't really have much of a choice in the end, either act magnanimously or bend over". Looking back and recognizing mistakes is hardly upsetting on a hockey forum, it's the re-writing history to make it a discussion when the reality is that negotiations were always dead in the water.

It's kind of like being upset that they didn't just purchase the Cup outright, you can be mad about it if you want but it wasn't ever realistically on the table so why are we wasting people's time arguing how we could have done something we couldn't have done?
Why do you think the Caps had no choice? If the Caps offer what Trotz wanted do you think he would gave said no?
I guess it's possible. Maybe it was Trotz that didn't want to return.
All I know is that I wish he was still herel

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Personally, if it isn't Trotz or the Habs, let it be the cheating Blightening. Yes they cheated but they can be roundly mocked for them exploiting a loophole.

Under no circumstances let crappy GMGM near the Cup. If you think Trotz winning the Cup would open the Caps up to ridicule, imagine crappy GMGM winning. *Ugh*

I have not forgotten GMGM wasting the prime years of Ovie's career.
No. Not the Lightning. I hate that team. Only team I hate more is the Pens.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Trotz winning again would lead this forum to an implosion of epic proportions. Kinda hilarious, but likely would get old fast. Also they’re a division rival, so screw them.

Every time I think I’d be okay with Tampa winning again (and they’re certainly the most talented team left), I remember their salary cap shenanigans and the fact they’re waaaay over the cap. Screw that circumvention.

Montreal I don’t like because f*** Montreal. And I want the Canadian drought to continue. It’s not even quite 30 years yet. ;)

So all aboard the Vegas bandwagon. I just hope Ryan Reaves is suddenly released and doesn’t get his name on the Cup for some reason.
Why do you want the Canadian drought to continue?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Why do you think the Caps had no choice? If the Caps offer what Trotz wanted do you think he would gave said no?
I guess it's possible. Maybe it was Trotz that didn't want to return.
All I know is that I wish he was still herel
I think anything remotely competitive still comes with too much baggage to be appealing, especially when you can still basically go write your next contract after winning a Cup. The only way to keep Trotz on the Capitals, if at all (because it's not all about money) is to pay through the nose and recognize that the relationship is still going to need work or it won't last even two of the X number of contract years given and I don't think it's good business to just fold up like that. I think it was pretty clear that Trotz didn't want to return, I don't know how people are still holding on to that. If he wanted to return all he had to do was: nothing.

Worst, worst case, they then give the job to someone they've been grooming (ala Reirden) and then say goodbye to the Ovechkin era because that would be starting right around now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad