League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - COVID Season Edition - Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Torts out in Columbus. Cool moving having the entire staff behind the bench during the last home game.
Hockey is inherently uninspired and hates trying new coaches, so I’m certain Torts will pop up somewhere in due time, but he really should be done. I like Torts but he is not a coach that works in this modern superstar driven game. If you were a team with a young superstar you’d be psychotic to hire him.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Lmao on the same night that McDavid hits 100 you have Rob Rossi saying that because the Penguins won the division that means Crosby should win Hart and Sullivan Jack Adams.

The state of sports journalism in the greater Pittsburgh area...

It has to be super sad for them to begrudgingly admit that Sid is not “the Next One”, and McDavid has outclassed him. They had him penciled as arguably the 5th best player of all time, McDavid will claim that spot for himself.

And before they bring the BS Cup argument, McDavid will win a championship in his career for sure. Ovi eventually won one, and I have no doubt that McDavid/Draisaitl will put up a monster effort in the playoffs and drag their team to a championship. It’s just a matter of time.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It has to be super sad for them to begrudgingly admit that Sid is not “the Next One”, and McDavid has outclassed him. They had him penciled as arguably the 5th best player of all time, McDavid will claim that spot for himself.

And before they bring the BS Cup argument, McDavid will win a championship in his career for sure. Ovi eventually won one, and I have no doubt that McDavid/Draisaitl will put up a monster effort in the playoffs and drag their team to a championship. It’s just a matter of time.
Eh... I'm not sold. As much as it may rankle, Crosby has been the best all-round player in hockey for the better part of 2 decades. McDavid is a better skater and goal scorer, but I don't see that he eclipses Sid in vision or IQ, and he sure doesn't yet have the resume.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Eh... I'm not sold. As much as it may rankle, Crosby has been the best all-round player in hockey for the better part of 2 decades. McDavid is a better skater and goal scorer, but I don't see that he eclipses Sid in vision or IQ, and he sure doesn't yet have the resume.

Sid has a bit better vision or hockey IQ, but not by much. McDavid’s speed and hands just transcend the game. He put up close to 2 PPG and looks like he’s playing too fast for other people to even touch him. Crosby never looked as dominant as McDavid looks right now.

The resume will come, this is just the beginning for McD. No one’s going to touch the Art Ross/Lindsay/Hart for the next few seasons at least, while Crosby only had 2 of each (except the Lindsay, he has 3 of them). McDavid will match Crosby’s major awards when this season is over, and he’s only 24. The Cups will come, the Conn Smythes will come, he’s too great not to win it all.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Crosby being a great defensive player is a myth. He had that one season where he got Selke votes but apart from that he really hasn't been defensively good and hasn't even been praised as one despite being a media darling. Early in his career people were saying that he was better defensively than Ovechkin because of his position but along centers he was considered as below average defensively. He wasn't bad early in his career but he wasn't really better than McDavid now, either.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sid has a bit better vision or hockey IQ, but not by much. McDavid’s speed and hands just transcend the game. He put up close to 2 PPG and looks like he’s playing too fast for other people to even touch him. Crosby never looked as dominant as McDavid looks right now.

The resume will come, this is just the beginning for McD. No one’s going to touch the Art Ross/Lindsay/Hart for the next few seasons at least, while Crosby only had 2 of each (except the Lindsay, he has 3 of them). McDavid will match Crosby’s major awards when this season is over, and he’s only 24. The Cups will come, the Conn Smythes will come, he’s too great not to win it all.
I disagree about the vision and IQ. Crosby has never been as flashy as McD physically, but he absolutely dominated at times in his career, relying more on those other attributes. As for the individual awards, McDavid doesn't have an Ovie to compete with. He's arguably the only real generational talent of his generation.

So, I guess we'll see. I don't want to diminish his performance this year; it's been amazing. But it's also noteworthy though that McDavid isn't exactly playing against the league's defensive powerhouses this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: bur and 666 others

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

As a Pens fan, I think Sid and McDavid are pretty equal in their success at this point. I think McDavid has a good chance of going on an insane run this playoffs given the North’s weakness is goaltending and obviously McDavid can really extend his lead over Sid during the next few years.

McDavid seems to have some of the same struggles as Sid in terms of his play style being extremely conductive with significant injuries.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
As a Pens fan, I think Sid and McDavid are pretty equal in their success at this point. I think McDavid has a good chance of going on an insane run this playoffs given the North’s weakness is goaltending and obviously McDavid can really extend his lead over Sid during the next few years.

McDavid seems to have some of the same struggles as Sid in terms of his play style being extremely conductive with significant injuries.

We’ll see what happens but right now, McDavid’s performance is the greatest since the days of Wayne and Mario.

I know the North is weaker defensively but it’s still the NHL. He scored 29 points in the past 10 games. He’s looked exactly the way you would expect an average NHL player to tear the German 2nd tier league lol.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We’ll see what happens but right now, McDavid’s performance is the greatest since the days of Wayne and Mario.

I know the North is weaker defensively but it’s still the NHL. He scored 29 points in the past 10 games. He’s looked exactly the way you would expect an average NHL player to tear the German 2nd tier league lol.

I guess. I don’t want to try to diminish it. What McDavid did this year is amazing, but let’s be honest what team he has been playing the last few nights.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I guess. I don’t want to try to diminish it. What McDavid did this year is amazing, but let’s be honest what team he has been playing the last few nights.

Let’s see next year if he can replicate this performance against the entire league. My guess is that he puts up a 130-140 point season and it will cement his greatness.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

And Matthews scored 40. Same division. Shock

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The North is a joke in terms of defense and goaltending, but what McDavid did in that division this year is head and shoulders above everyone else.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
Back in the day when people blamed ovechkins production on a weak division most of the games played were out of division. Not to discount what McDavid and Matthew's are doing

Reactions: Calicaps

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Divisions current seeding/matchups (subject to change) :
(7 of 16 teams with 1 number in parentheses are officially that seed)
(both Central matchups are set but FLA/TBL may change 2nd/3rd seeds)

East:
PIT (1) vs. NYI (4 or 3)
WSH (2) vs. BOS (3 or 4)

West:
VGK (1 or 2) vs. STL (4)
COL (2 or 1 or 3) vs. MIN (3 or 2)

Central:
CAR (1) vs. NSH (4)
FLA (2 or 3) vs. TBL (3 or 2)

North:
TOR (1) vs. MTL (4 or 3)
EDM (2) vs. WPG (3 or 4)