League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I was watching highlights of old games earlier and we had some pretty good comebacks this year. The Canucks in October, then the Isles and when the Sharks scored an eng. Am I missing any others?

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I was watching highlights of old games earlier and we had some pretty good comebacks this year. The Canucks in October, then the Isles and when the Sharks scored an eng. Am I missing any others?

We did have a lot, we also had a lot of dreadful starts, which prompted calls for Rierdens head, followed by comebacks to gain a point or a win outright. It became predictable.

Reactions: max21 and Calicaps

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This is fun to watch. I don't want Torts to coach the Caps, but he's the most entertaining coach in the game.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Matthews needs to shave that stash, or do something different with the facial hair. Ovie's darkest days came when he signed that Gillette contract, or whatever it was that kept him clean shaven for a few years.

Reactions: Calicaps

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think Toronto's biggest faux pas was thinking they could fit both Tavares and Nylander under the cap without compromising the bottom 6 or D in the short and long terms. They've got Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander on huge contracts without any of them having had serious success at the NHL level, beyond personal accolades. There will be so few teams interested in taking on a contract of Marner or Nylander's size that I can't see either being traded for close to fair value. And without trading one of them, it's hard to imagine Toronto being a legit contender without a serious cap rise.

Colombus is an underpowered team, where even their best players not named-Jones (Dubois, Werenski, both goaltenders) would be considered second-tier on most competitive teams. But they have grit, determination and a stubbornness you can't manufacture. They're perpetual underdogs, they know it, and my God do they work hard to try to overcome it. It shouldn't be a surprise that the last two Cup winners - Blues and Caps - won after overcoming some level of regular season adversity that made themselves, and everyone else, doubt their chances. Toronto doesn't seem to have acquired that kind of doubt, like Tampa last year, and that costs them time and time again.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think Toronto's biggest faux pas was thinking they could fit both Tavares and Nylander under the cap without compromising the bottom 6 or D in the short and long terms. They've got Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander on huge contracts without any of them having had serious success at the NHL level, beyond personal accolades. There will be so few teams interested in taking on a contract of Marner or Nylander's size that I can't see either being traded for close to fair value. And without trading one of them, it's hard to imagine Toronto being a legit contender without a serious cap rise.

Colombus is an underpowered team, where even their best players not named-Jones (Dubois, Werenski, both goaltenders) would be considered second-tier on most competitive teams. But they have grit, determination and a stubbornness you can't manufacture. They're perpetual underdogs, they know it, and my God do they work hard to try to overcome it. It shouldn't be a surprise that the last two Cup winners - Blues and Caps - won after overcoming some level of regular season adversity that made themselves, and everyone else, doubt their chances. Toronto doesn't seem to have acquired that kind of doubt, like Tampa last year, and that costs them time and time again.
Great post. Nothing about that Leafs team says "winner." People get dazzled by the high-end talent, and they get a lot of ink because Toronto, but they're all flash and no substance. Someone compared them with the '09-17 Caps, but a couple of those teams at least crushed the RS, making Tampa a better analogy. Toronto has not dominated anything. They are a middling hockey club with a handful of very talented players.

Reactions: HecticGlow

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Glad for Torts. Had been crapped on for so long thanks to the Queen Hank and soft as a baby shit canadian media until the Jackets signing. Always thought he's one of the best coaches the league has. And what's a better story than underdogs that work their asses off every shift and beat shiny, glamorous fan favourites one after another? Enjoyed the hell out of the spanking Hawks gave to the Golden boy and Leon "I'm MVP and a beta on my team at the same time" Draisaitl. And now it just adds up . Sign me up for more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad