League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 TDL Edition - Vol. 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought Gallant or Laviolette would have been much better hires and Ruff's time in NYR didn't really merit another look as a head coach.

Why better hires? First its important to know why they hired Ruff? Right? Lots of stuff we cant know. Might be that neither Lavy nor Gallant wanted to coach a non contender. Might be they both required more salary and/or term than what the Devils wanted. I would think Lindy Ruff would be cheaper than either of the other two.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Or......it’s annoying there aren’t many promising young coaches that teams like enough to turn over the keys to.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Or......it’s annoying there aren’t many promising young coaches that teams like enough to turn over the keys to.

Yeah, not buying this. What do you think is more realistic? That no one under the age of 45 has the intelligence and emotional IQ to be a head coach or that retreads who grew up playing the game and coaching the game in the clutch-and-grab and dead puck eras are the only ones qualified to coach?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Why is that. Here we were the home of fresh named and yelling for recycled names

Not quite sure I totally understand your second sentence but I think you're saying we had a first-time coach in Rierden and people complained about not getting a veteran coach? If so, my position is that at the time we had a veteran team with a closing window and wanted to maximize the time we had left with Ovechkin, so some preferred a coach who wouldn't be learning on the job. Others weren't impressed with Rierden's work as an assistant so he didn't inspire confidence as a head coach.

Hiring a coach for a veteran team looking to close out a historic window with another Cup or two is a lot different than hiring a coach for a franchise that has a young team and one who has made the playoffs twice in the past decade.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Slumber Party Pillow Fight!

And as RMNB pointed out, Pittsburgh was invited to wear big boy pants.

Reactions: ovikovy817

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, not buying this. What do you think is more realistic? That no one under the age of 45 has the intelligence and emotional IQ to be a head coach or that retreads who grew up playing the game and coaching the game in the clutch-and-grab and dead puck eras are the only ones qualified to coach?

I mean come on....the proof is in the hires.

you think owners are refusing to hire blatantly obviously better candidates, for.........what, fun?

There are many good younger coaches, but probably very few each year, ready to take the reigns of an NHL franchise (successfully). Big big difference in being smart enough or mature enough and being actually ready to succeed.

I was surprised as anyone, but I think the Devils simply wanted to turn their team over to a guy NOT learning how to be an NHL HC, on the job, but rather a Vet like Trotz who can begin to groom them into good Pros and/or immediately provide a structure of accountability.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

you think owners are refusing to hire blatantly obviously better candidates, for.........what, fun?

There are many good younger coaches, but probably very few each year, ready to take the reigns of a NHL franchise (successfully).
I think GMs are by and large risk-averse and often make the easier and (potentially) safer hire. The floor is lower than giving someone new a chance since there's less of a chance the older coach will fail spectacularly but I suspect the ceiling is capped as well. I also think there's a lot of nepotism in sports and it's annoying.

And I should clarify that I'm not saying they have to be young and new, just new. Boudreau was 52 when he got his first head coaching gig in the NHL with the Capitals and he's been one of the best coaches in hockey since then, in my opinion.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
not just GM’s, but most successful high level business execs always have an eye on risk.

If you’re turning the reigns over to an unproven, you better be committed, because unless you’re the NHL owner, you’re betting your own livelihood.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not quite sure I totally understand your second sentence but I think you're saying we had a first-time coach in Rierden and people complained about not getting a veteran coach? If so, my position is that at the time we had a veteran team with a closing window and wanted to maximize the time we had left with Ovechkin, so some preferred a coach who wouldn't be learning on the job. Others weren't impressed with Rierden's work as an assistant so he didn't inspire confidence as a head coach.

Hiring a coach for a veteran team looking to close out a historic window with another Cup or two is a lot different than hiring a coach for a franchise that has a young team and one who has made the playoffs twice in the past decade.

This has nothing to do with Reirden. Hanlon, Boudreau, Hunter, Oates. 4 rookies in a row and a lot of bitching here about it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
not just GM’s, but most successful high level business execs always have an eye on risk.

If you’re turning the reigns over to an unproven, you better be committed, because unless you’re the NHL owner, you’re betting your own livelihood.

Sometimes the owner is calling the shots. He chose Cassidy and Oates. He didnt want to pay market for a proven coach. He didnt want to pay market to keep Trotz.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Washington has been pretty good for coaches to get an opportunity at both the head coach and the assistant coaching positions. Only real outlier was Trotz's staff where he had more seasoned coaches.

Overall you'd like to see a trend where some of these up and coming AHL coaches (Guys like Spencer Carbery, Jay Leach, Troy Mann, etc.) be given an opportunity to fill an assistant coaching role at the NHL level in hopes that they can "graduate" and become an NHL coach. Seems like the retreads bring in their buddies from previous coaching staffs and it's the same boys club mentality. Like Bruce constantly bringing in Bob Woods or Dean Evanson and Trotz taking Lambert and Korn wherever he goes.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

There are many good younger coaches, but probably very few each year, ready to take the reigns of an NHL franchise (successfully). Big big difference in being smart enough or mature enough and being actually ready to succeed.

I was surprised as anyone, but I think the Devils simply wanted to turn their team over to a guy NOT learning how to be an NHL HC, on the job, but rather a Vet like Trotz who can begin to groom them into good Pros and/or immediately provide a structure of accountability.
Cassidy and Sullivan are terrific examples of coaches at young ages failing. Not because they weren’t good coaches (witness their terrific success in 2nd tours of duty), but because they simply weren’t ready.

2 isn’t a lot of examples (I’m sure their are more if I looked for them), but these are really good ones.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Why better hires? First its important to know why they hired Ruff? Right? Lots of stuff we cant know. Might be that neither Lavy nor Gallant wanted to coach a non contender.
Yeah, it's not like Gerard Gallant has a history of signing up to coach the Florida Panthers or expansion teams. He's definitely a contender-or-bust type. :sarcasm:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, it's not like Gerard Gallant has a history of signing up to coach the Florida Panthers or expansion teams. He's definitely a contender-or-bust type. :sarcasm:

Don't be a ..….Based on his performance he may not want to do that anymore. He may want a long contract or a higher salary. Right? Maybe he just doesn't want to live in the NYC metro

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
As much of a fan of Panarin as I am, Draisaitl has to get the Hart. It would be a shame if they rob him after such a great season. Glad that McDavid didn't make the cut, he had no business being among nominees this year.

Reactions: searle

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As much of a fan of Panarin as I am, Draisaitl has to get the Hart. It would be a shame if they rob him after such a great season. Glad that McDavid didn't make the cut, he had no business being among nominees this year.

Disagree. Draisaitl's point production is impressive but his on-ice impact was not nearly as good as Panarin's, especially on the defensive end (where Draisaitl has been nearly Kuznetsov levels of bad). Panarin not only put up excellent point totals but he actually made the Rangers give up significantly fewer chances against while he was on the ice. It wouldn't be egregious to just give it to Draisaitl but I wouldn't despite the lofty point total.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Disagree. Draisaitl's point production is impressive but his on-ice impact was not nearly as good as Panarin's, especially on the defensive end (where Draisaitl has been nearly Kuznetsov levels of bad). Panarin not only put up excellent point totals but he actually made the Rangers give up significantly fewer chances against while he was on the ice. It wouldn't be egregious to just give it to Draisaitl but I wouldn't despite the lofty point total.
I just think you just have to reward a guy if he's that much ahead of a competition in point totals while also playing a big role on both special teams. I think Draisaitl is criminally underrated in terms of his overall ability. And I can't forget the Oilers first playoffs with Leon and McDavid. First rodeo for both and Mcdavid got completely shutdown while Leon was clutch as hell.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I suspect it will be MacKinnon that wins. Panarin probably should win it but the team success wasn't quite there and historically that hurts.

Six games a day starting less than two weeks from now. Let's go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad