League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Offseason Edition - Vol. 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Yeah I constantly see the whole “We all did stupid stuff when we were 14” which is true. But my “stupid stuff at 14” move was throwing snowballs at school busses and taking ALL the candy from the bowl left out on Halloween.

I know for sure I didn’t bully someone relentlessly from 2nd grade thru High School or make someone lick a lollipop that had been sitting in a urinal. That’s psycho behavior.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There will always be people that excuse bad behaviour. Always. We are even seeing it on this board.

the team (Arizona) needs to do what they consider “the right thing to do”. Looks like they have. Obviously the microscope was dialed up in the team as they were the ones who drafted him. That was always going to be the case for whatever franchise made that decision. I’m sure they didn’t have all the facts that they do now, hence the mindset changed. Which makes sense to me.

look, this kids future isn’t over. But perhaps his hockey career is. That’s on him. He can hopefully use it as a smack in the face to really look at who he is, and what he wants his life to be.

or he’s a psychopath and doesn’t care, and will figure out another path to whatever his future is.

I don’t feel even a little bit bad for him. I just don’t.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
From what I read he was still bullying up until 2 years prior to the draft, or 16yrs old. Did I read that wrong?

View attachment 374923

Lightning Round: Mother of bullying victim pens letter to Arizona Coyotes, Mitchell Miller

With this kind of record the burden of proof is not going to be on the team to show why they think he HASN'T changed. It will be on the perpetrator who has a very bad track record extending back many years, including at least within the last 2 years.

From my experience kids don't change for the better between 16 and 18 if they were already doing this stuff, they just have access to more resources, like cars/friends/alcohol/drugs/etc.

Is it possible there was a miracle transformation in the last 2 years? Maybe. But MM has to show that progress in order to overpower the stink of the fairly recent behavior.

Kids pay for dumb things they do all the time, even at 14. Stupid decisions you make leading to discipline, or bad grades tanking your placement, or not making the team...it all affects your prospects. Why should this be any different? It's not a court of law, it's a business decision that's often based on character.

His future is not being condemned by anyone but himself. He can choose to right the wrongs. His unwillingness to do so, even as noted by a judge and as recently as apologizing to the NHL teams but not the victim, is on him.

Completely agree with consequences for actions, and that is at any age. But we should be open to people changing. However; with what you showed, I don't see that as the case. Its sad because there are a lot of good kids out there that don't have the God given ability that this kid does. I would also wonder what was going on at home. Where were the parents and what were they doing? If one of my sons were doing this, hockey would not have been my first priority with him.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Completely agree with consequences for actions, and that is at any age. But we should be open to people changing. However; with what you showed, I don't see that as the case. Its sad because there are a lot of good kids out there that don't have the God given ability that this kid does. I would also wonder what was going on at home. Where were the parents and what were they doing? If one of my sons were doing this, hockey would not have been my first priority with him.
Nature vs Nurture.

Miller was either born this way (penchant to feel no empathy towards a person who is seemingly helpless, and the need to dominate said person to make himself feel better as a person), or he learned it and his parents are cultivating an environment of possibly racism and/or worse, abject disdain for others.

I’ve got 3 kids. None old enough to equate to Mitchell, but I found out my child was doing this, I would absolutely think (know) that I had failed them as a parent.

the whole Miller family needs to take a hard look in the mirror, IMO.

PS — there is always the small chance that Mitchell is simply a born psychopath, and there was/is nothing the parents could have done differently. Odds are not in favour of that logic, however.

Reactions: Corby78

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

pretty sure if I found out my kid was doing stuff at that level, hockey would be gone from his or her life...

Picking on the weak is one level, but picking on a handicapped/special needs kid, well it doesn’t get much lower.....

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
pretty sure if I found out my kid was doing stuff at that level, hockey would be gone from his or her life...

Picking on the weak is one level, but picking on a handicapped/special needs kid, well it doesn’t get much lower.....
And just to leave no doubt that he’s a garbage person, he sprinkled a lot of racism on top of that shit sundae as well.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
what happened to Kucherov?

It sounds awfully like Samsonov's ATV injury where he held information out from the team and then the team found out after he came back right before last year's bubble. Overseas players were starting to return to their teams last weekend.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
It sounds awfully like Samsonov's ATV injury where he held information out from the team and then the team found out after he came back right before last year's bubble. Overseas players were starting to return to their teams last weekend.

Knew a good dude/friend of my brothers who was a blue collar guy doing well laying fiber optic stuff with his own company and with three kids end up crashing terminally because he was wearing no helmet. Maybe it is one my over riding theme of my life not to die 'dumb' that gives me some kinda unearned sort of survival instinct but man that sucked. f*** atvs and three wheelers.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Knew a good dude/friend of my brothers who was a blue collar guy doing well laying fiber optic stuff with his own company and with three kids end up crashing terminally because he was wearing no helmet. Maybe it is one my over riding theme of my life not to die 'dumb' that gives me some kinda unearned sort of survival instinct but man that sucked. f*** atvs and three wheelers.

Damn that sucks to hear. Yeah they can be dangerous, people think they are toys. Sammy should feel lucky.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Lightning lose Kucherov for the season. I thought losing stamkos was tough last year...

I would feel bad for them if they hadn't won the Cup. Now I don't care.

Okay to be honest I probably still wouldn't care....and even with Kucherov the Bolts will likely be a very, very good team this (crappy shortened) season

Reactions: Calicaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Takes away the need to drag the skate on the ice. And at full speed harder to make a call by the ref.

I wonder how this will all translate in the ice.

Will the Refs get quite a few of these wrong, and blow the whistle incorrectly stopping the play?

Or will they allow a lot more “not sure” moments ,to continue to play, and then use replay to correct those judgement calls?

this will be a very interesting tweak to the rules. It’s more like the NFL’s “plane” of the end zone goal line.

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wonder how this will all translate in the ice.

Will the Refs get quite a few of these wrong, and blow the whistle incorrectly stopping the play?

Or will they allow a lot more “not sure” moments ,to continue to play, and then use replay to correct those judgement calls?

this will be a very interesting tweak to the rules. It’s more like the NFL’s “plane” of the end zone goal line.

This is an adjustment for camera footage. Often the best available angle makes it clear that the skate is on the line but its unclear if its in contact with the ice. This adjustment just eliminates that issue. Again its mainly an adjustment for video replay

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would feel bad for them if they hadn't won the Cup. Now I don't care.

Okay to be honest I probably still wouldn't care....and even with Kucherov the Bolts will likely be a very, very good team this (crappy shortened) season

Yea, they have that salary cap buster thing going. I dont like it. Here's hoping this hurts them good til it helps them

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Mods, if this makes more sense or is more appropriate to another thread, feel free to move.

Good story by Scott Wheeler in The Athletic about BC player (and Wild prospect) Matt Boldy, and how Brooks Orpik (through the BC coaching staff) and Matt Hendricks (as the Wild's assistant director of player development) helped him though getting left off the US WJHC team last year.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think a factor with Hamonic is he really prefers western Canada and doesn’t want to play anywhere else. I think he’s even hinted that he’d rather just not play if he can’t be close to home. When you limit yourself to just 2 or 3 teams, yeah market dries up obviously

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hamonic signed a tryout with the Nucks. The guy went from being one of the most sought after defensemen in the league to the trash can real quick.

He needs to play near is family, I imagine because of health issues. He might well have to wait for an injury to get a job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->