League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Bubble Hockey Edition - Vol. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Even Nisky knows he's done so some of you can stop pretending like he's still good.

Thank you Nisky for the cup and enjoy retirement.

He was really good last year. I thought he wasn’t going to be very effective after his poor 2018-19 but he was a legit top pairing D in Philly and I am glad he retired because the Flyers are worse now.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Surprised, didn't think he had slipped that much, and leaving another 5+ on the table. But good for him recognizing when your tired of the grind to being honest with himself. Thanks for the Cup!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm old enough to remember when people here wanted us to draft Maatta over Wilson in 2012.

I do think his career would have turned out far differently if he hadn't gotten hurt a bunch.
I was one of those folks. And, yeah, his career was definitely derailed by shoulder surgery, cancer, and a slew of other injuries. His first two seasons he looked like the real deal, but then the health problems doomed it all.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Will miss Nisky. He was a signing that I was angry about at first, unfairly to him, simply because it overlapped with the Orpik contract. But Nisky was worth every penny of his deal, and became one of my favorite Caps. Without a doubt, the best shutdown defenseman the Capitals have had during the Ovechkin era and the best unrestricted free agent signing in the history of the franchise. Pity his final season in red wasn’t as strong as the previous, but all is absolved by winning a Cup. Good luck in retirement!

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Some of these guys just can't let it go, you have to pry the sticks from their dead-cold hands. And others are all "No thanks to the bubble, I'll just retire."

:huh:

Reactions: Calicaps

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Seeing Wilson's tweet to Niskanen, how can you not love that guy. Quickly becoming one of my all time favorite Capitals along with the likes of Dale Hunter. Just love players who never take a night off.

I don't have many jersies but I do have a Dale Hunter old style and a Brooks Orpik winter classic have to get a Wilson one. Must say something about me for the players I chose, Hunter, Orpik and Wilson. Suppose the FBI could work up a profile on me just for selecting those players.:naughty:

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I get not wanting to deal with uncertainty but man, tough to walk away from $7.5 million for one year of work.
$5.75M, not $7.5M

But this is what I put over on the Flyers board when someone was questioning along the same lines:

It's not just leaving them in the middle of the season. It's also exposing your body to the risk of potential life altering head injuries. It's committing to a season that we don't know how many games will be played, where they will be played, when they will be played, and what type of COVID precautions will be in place. It's committing to getting into game shape again the pre-season, despite all the COVID risks associated with gyms and hockey rinks.

At a certain point, it's understandable to say, "Hey, I've already got enough financial security to live comfortably for the rest of my life, maybe I don't need to expose myself to this anymore."

Ultimately, the guy has a ring. He's had around $40M in raw income (even though he probably saw far less of that after escrow, taxes, and agent fees). He's been in the league for more than a decade. He's got young children at home, and an uncertain season in front of him. If he didn't have a burning drive to get back on the ice anymore, I can see not wanting to put himself through that again. He's already got his Championship and his financial security, why take the risk if his heart isn't 100% in it anymore?

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Alzner being bought out by Montreal.
Good for Karl. I read an article last year about how being buried in Laval was wearing on him and that management told him if he was making less money he'd be in Montreal playing with the Habs but because of cap reasons they sent him down. Wonder if he latches on somewhere on a one year deal for the vet minimum.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Alzner is probably a good enough player to get a shot somewhere in the NHL if his injuries are behind him. A team like Edmonton or Winnipeg might make sense. Both need team defense pretty badly.

Jun 15, 2007
Good for Karl. I read an article last year about how being buried in Laval was wearing on him and that management told him if he was making less money he'd be in Montreal playing with the Habs but because of cap reasons they sent him down. Wonder if he latches on somewhere on a one year deal for the vet minimum.

Hmm not sure if that makes any sense. His cap relief in Laval was only 1.1m and Montreal was not that tight against the cap last year. Sounds like bullshit they fed him to cushion the blow that he repeated uncritically.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Alzner is probably done or very close to it, but I gotta think this buyout helps his odds of making an NHL team somewhere, especially in the COVID cap crunch. A lot more teams would be willing to stomach Alzner as a $1M #6-8D reclamation project than they would at his previous price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->