League News: NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) - 2020 Bubble Hockey Edition - Vol. 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Which one of those defensemen was so bad on one of the worst defensive teams in the league, that he was moved to forward even with 6 years left on his contract at nearly 5mil per year?

Minus the 5mil a year literally all of them

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Don't the Penguins have internal budget for this season though? Think i heard somewhere that they are looking to cut down on salaries this season. Matheson only makes 3.5m this season and Sceviour 1.2m. Horqnvist alone makes 5.3m. I would assume that's part of their reasoning. Matheson's salary goes up in a year though, but i don't think Rutherford cares about that.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Hornqvist had 17 goals last year, he’s still a decent middle six forward. Matheson was so bad at D last year that the Panthers tried him at forward, and he’s got 6 more years at nearly 4.9M. Maybe Matheson has a better chance of rebounding just cause he’s younger, but he’s currently a much worse player and much more likely to be an absolute albatross of a contract.
Probably true but Matheson looked like a stud 2-3 years ago. I mean it's gamble and a big one by Pens but stylistically it's a Ritherford thing going after talented misfits instead of someone clearly on a downhill and aging. I really can't tell if it's as disastrous a trade as it seems right now.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Except PIT picks up six years on Matheson to Hornqvist's three. They'll just deal with it later--like everything else--but it's a real gamble and one that just further complicates their blueline situation. Is this the partner for Marino? Are they moving Pettersson? Or is this the off-side partner for Johnson? Even if they move out Pettersson that's still a costly mess.

After Schultz maybe they think they can fix anyone with some skill for a time. But on a team without much defensive stability they've swapped a one questionable fit up front for a pricey risk on D. Tough to make sense of it. Rutherford has other moves in him and they've got some cap space but it still looks like a Frankenroster and one likely further hampered long-term.
He's gambling obviously while tryna not trade all 1st round picks they have until 2030. What can I say..Bold move, Cotton, let's see if it pays off.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Minus the 5mil a year literally all of them
Niskanen, Daley and Schultz were all moved to forward on one of the worst defensive teams in the league with 6 years left on their contract?

And yeah the 5mil part is the biggest problem. Matheson at 2mil is fine. Matheson at 5 mil is brutal. He’s getting paid nearly as much as Orlov as an average 3rd pairing dman. On a team that already has a 3mil+ tire fire at 3LD, not much cap space, and an internal budget.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
What the hell is wrong with me - I’m actually happy for Corey Perry that he’s doing well and contributing. I’ve hated that guy for more than a decade

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Rangers gave Detroit a 2nd rounder to take Staal off their hands. Good trade by both sides though a 2nd for one year of $5.3M in cap space seems a bit pricey. Going to be real tough to move salary in the flat cap world.

Watch Staal get flipped for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline and the Wings get two decent draft picks for nothing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Rangers gave Detroit a 2nd rounder to take Staal off their hands. Good trade by both sides though a 2nd for one year of $5.3M in cap space seems a bit pricey. Going to be real tough to move salary in the flat cap world.

Watch Staal get flipped for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline and the Wings get two decent draft picks for nothing.

seems fair to me cost-wise for a $5 mil salary slot. Win win for the Wings. It’s good (in this one instance) to be terrible and have the need for able bodies and abundant cap space.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Its expensive to get rid of cap now. Which is why I dont think teams will be willing to take Kempny off our hands without us taking cap back. Unless we are paying a pick to unload him.

Reactions: Corby78

Jun 15, 2007
I was just going to say Detroit got fleeced by NYR. They should have demanded a first.

1 year of 6.25m Marleau cost Toronto a 1st. Cap space should be a higher premium this year. NYR dumping that contract for a 2nd next year is great from them.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Wonder who the rangers are targeting in Fa with the cap space

The pick they traded is 2.1 correct. That’s pretty much the same value as our 1st rounder

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017

The pick they traded is 2.1 correct. That’s pretty much the same value as our 1st rounder
It should be at whatever slot in the second round they would have based on the standings. The lottery's only for the first round.

Jun 15, 2007

Its next years pick...could even be 64th overall.

Yzerman is extremely overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad