NHL suspends season due to COVID19 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Musk makes a lot of the same points that people on here have made, but nothing really new. I guess he claims that hospital administrators in the US are falsely attributing deaths to COVID-19 so that they can cash in on some government assistance ... not sure if I've heard that specific assertion before.

It's unfortunate that Joe Rogan is such a lightweight. The conversation could have gone very deep at a few points and Rogan just didn't push it enough.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Musk makes a lot of the same points that people on here have made, but nothing really new. I guess he claims that hospital administrators in the US are falsely attributing deaths to COVID-19 so that they can cash in on some government assistance ... not sure if I've heard that specific assertion before.

It's unfortunate that Joe Rogan is such a lightweight. The conversation could have gone very deep at a few points and Rogan just didn't push it enough.
Musk has an educated opinion and that is the extent of the interview. They talk about Covid in general terms but neither are experts. Just shooting the shit.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Musk has an educated opinion and that is the extent of the interview. They talk about Covid in general terms but neither are experts. Just shooting the shit.
Well, I think your definition of an "educated opinion" and mine are different. Isn't having an educated opinion and being an expert the same thing?

At a minimum, Musk is an intelligent person with a background in engineering -- and therefore I would assume he has a fairly logical mind.

But there are a few logical inconsistencies in things he says here ... so I would have liked to hear his responses if those inconsistencies were pointed out to him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

To be fair, given what we know of the prevalence of asymptomatic infections and the near guarantee that anyone who is symtomatic yet still shows up at the airport will likely take some advil to supress any fever, i think this is more theatre than science based attempt to detect potential infections.

I personally could care less about my temperature getting taken, not sure what the downside of allowing them to have that data point from a privacy perspective would be, but i also think its pointless from a safety perspective and potentially harmful if it creates a false sense of security among the on board staff and the customers.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Apparently, you may need some anger management classes and a course in diplomacy. :)

I wasn't angry. These people were being flippant in a pharmacy entrance as the city continues to deal with a worsening pandemic . They got angry with me, and I did nothing but continue to tell them to leave until they did. Diplomacy doesn't work with people like this.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Well, I think your definition of an "educated opinion" and mine are different. Isn't having an educated opinion and being an expert the same thing?

At a minimum, Musk is an intelligent person with a background in engineering -- and therefore I would assume he has a fairly logical mind.

But there are a few logical inconsistencies in things he says here ... so I would have liked to hear his responses if those inconsistencies were pointed out to him.

Have you not seen Musk's twitter? He's everything but logical.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
To be fair, given what we know of the prevalence of asymptomatic infections and the near guarantee that anyone who is symtomatic yet still shows up at the airport will likely take some advil to supress any fever, i think this is more theatre than science based attempt to detect potential infections.

I personally could care less about my temperature getting taken, not sure what the downside of allowing them to have that data point from a privacy perspective would be, but i also think its pointless from a safety perspective and potentially harmful if it creates a false sense of security among the on board staff and the customers.
Discrimination might play a role of privacy sensitive citizens if they were in fact flagged as having a high temperature. This would probably apply more to temperature checks at work though

Some might feel these measures are too invasive despite the pandemic going on.

Data collection. Medical information is generally private in nature.

Potential disclosure of other disabilities when being questioned or screened positive for having a higher temperature.

Etc etc

These are probably some of the issues some may have. I'm not suggesting these apply to me in case anyone wants to start throwing out labels..

I agree it's more for optics to make passengers "feel" more at ease that some sort of extra security precaution is taking place.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Discrimination might play a role of privacy sensitive citizens if they were in fact flagged as having a high temperature. This would probably apply more to temperature checks at work though

Some might feel these measures are too invasive despite the pandemic going on.

Data collection. Medical information is generally private in nature.

Potential disclosure of other disabilities when being questioned or screened positive for having a higher temperature.

Etc etc

These are probably some of the issues some may have. I'm not suggesting these apply to me in case anyone wants to start throwing out labels..

I agree it's more for optics to make passengers "feel" more at ease that some sort of extra security precaution is taking place.

I'm less concerned about privacy that some, I'm not sure how something like your temperature could be monetized, or used to directly discriminate, though admittedly, you bring up a good point that it might offer the opportunity to discriminate; one person's 37.9 degree temp might be ignored while the visible minorities 37.9 degree temp might result in being kicked off the flight.

I agree medical info is private, I just don't see temperature on a single day in a vacuum as sufficient medical info to create a concern even when added to all the other data the airlines could have on you. There is nothing to be gleamed from that info as every person has their temp go up and down. Though I suppose a frequent flyer might worry about them building up a significant database of their temperature. Perhaps it's the fact that for me as someone who flies very infrequently, it wouldn't provide any useful data.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The experts are saying that temperature checks are essentially useless as a tool to prevent the spread of COVID-19. That really doesn't matter, though - what does matter is that temperature checks make for a great visual and make people feel better, as looks like SOMETHING is being done. Think of it as airport security throwing out your half empty bottle of shampoo or Gatorade, another pointless gesture. Temperature checks will be the new "security theatre" for entering arenas, airports, etc. - bank on it.

Reactions: maclean

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I think in general you are right but I think Elon Musk gets a little more leeway considering his background and professional achievements. He most likely runs in circles with the ones who created it and have the antidote. :sarcasm:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Well i am a bit of a security nutter. I know how big data is used to find all sorts of things about us and the AI's are becoming masterful at it. But it does seem like security theatre. A lot of people with a temperature for non-Covid reasons will be denied flight. And the overwhelming majority of asymptomatic spreaders will be missed. I guess also some women will have to explain to a security guard that it is their hormone cycle causing their temp to go up or that they are ovulating and need to get to their husbands quick.

But if a company like Rogers doesnt need your birth date to give you a cable package i want the privacy regulators to stay on top of it, whether or not there is an obvious privacy concern that we can see.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wasn't angry. These people were being flippant in a pharmacy entrance as the city continues to deal with a worsening pandemic . They got angry with me, and I did nothing but continue to tell them to leave until they did. Diplomacy doesn't work with people like this.

Yes there definitely are some people who require something more than a polite request and explanation. Like my spouse on rare occasions. :)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
But if a company like Rogers doesnt need your birth date to give you a cable package i want the privacy regulators to stay on top of it, whether or not there is an obvious privacy concern that we can see.

The combination of name and birth date offers up all sort of security issues these days should bad actors get their hands on it, so I see a lot more reason to be worried about unnecessarily having that info (there is also no valid reason for Rogers to need that info to sell me cable).

The temperature thing though, I'm not sure it really adds risk if it gets leaked or sold; what are bad actors going to do with the knowledge that when Micklebot flew from Ottawa to Toronto on 27 May 2020, he got a window seat and had a temperature of 37.3? Does knowing my temperature that day increase risk of something? Now, if they collected other data as a result of follow up questions when my temperature was in a warning range, that info might be problematic but that's where my concern lies, not the temperature itself...

All that said, if the idea of screening via temp is bad science and security theatre, I am definitely concerned about the ramifications of giving the false impression of security.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Testing down for three days straight (still above 10,000). I wonder if people are just not showing up to be tested. Hopefully that's the case.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

Attachments

• F6BE591A-85F9-4DF2-A9FA-9F428F1C465B.jpeg
    F6BE591A-85F9-4DF2-A9FA-9F428F1C465B.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 4

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Testing down for three days straight (still above 10,000). I wonder if people are just not showing up to be tested. Hopefully that's the case.

I am currently in charge of scheduling for one of the Assessment centres, can confirm less people are showing up. According to our data, the peak was a couple of weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad