NHL suspends season due to COVID19 - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/nl-covid-testing-explained-1.5561292

How do we open up enough to play some form of playoffs when we can not be sure of the test results?
And if the players are allowed to travel home lets say .. and back again things could change. The NHL can afford the tests and perhaps different types of tests but.. exposure outside a quarantined environment is certainly possible.

I think its pretty the same with every work environment. If you work in an office or at a plant its the same .. leave go home , go shopping.. and come back to work and in 10-14-20 days an outbreak occurs.. This is going to be happening all across America. Do they have the right tests they can trust? How about contact tracing. Having a 64 people outbreak like they had in Chambly, QC could mount fairly quickly and spread in the community and outside it in a couple of weeks of being symptom free.

Not sure what the answer is.

Last edited:

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
As a Montrealer, I apologize to the rest of Canada for dragging you down.

We really aren't flattening the curve here. Yesterday I almost got into a fistfight with 5 punks because I told them to get the f*** out of the pharmacy lobby. They were all just hanging out, not wearing any masks.

We're so screwed lol.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

We really aren't flattening the curve here. Yesterday I almost got into a fistfight with 5 punks because I told them to get the f*** out of the pharmacy lobby. They were all just hanging out, not wearing any masks.

We're so screwed lol.

It's fine, there's a lot more luck involved here than anyone wants to admit. New Zealand and Australia are complete opposites in terms of governments and their leaders' popularity but both have controlled COVID-19. Why? Because they have an ocean between them and the rest of the world and the major failure to contain the outbreak was in Europe which is a full day's worth of flights away.

For us where we're 7-9 hours away... it's Russian roulette. Does the infected passenger on his/her return flight from Europe land in Toronto or Montreal?

I think we're fortunate in a lot of ways - imagine if this broke out a month later. We would have had tens of millions of people flying out of China after the Lunar New Year instead of what we had here - people flying into China and staying in China for the holidays allowing for some containment.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink
It's fine, there's a lot more luck involved here than anyone wants to admit. New Zealand and Australia are complete opposites in terms of governments and their leaders' popularity but both have controlled COVID-19. Why? Because they have an ocean between them and the rest of the world and the major failure to contain the outbreak was in Europe which is a full day's worth of flights away.

For us where we're 7-9 hours away... it's Russian roulette. Does the infected passenger on his/her return flight from Europe land in Toronto or Montreal?

I think we're fortunate in a lot of ways - imagine if this broke out a month later. We would have had tens of millions of people flying out of China after the Lunar New Year instead of what we had here - people flying into China and staying in China for the holidays allowing for some containment.

The data suggests that our early cases came from the United Sates. Even if we had blocked Europe and China early, the firewall would have been in the wrong place.

Canada’s early COVID-19 cases came from the U.S. not China, provincial data shows

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Calder Cup playoffs are officially cancelled.

:(

That was the only thing other than the draft I was looking forward to. Belleville was really gaining some momentum.

Reactions: CTC

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Again, though, the curve on this virus seems somewhat disconnected to upsurges in day to day activity. For instance, Georgia re-opened 16 days ago, and their restaurants opened nine days ago. No upsurge in cases so far - in fact, they are trending down. Florida's numbers are trending down now also and are roughly the same as California, which did everything "right" in terms of locking down.

Rather, this virus seems to crop up now in certain hot spots, be in seniors residences, meat processing facilities, prisons, etc. There was also a new outbreak in South Korea a few days ago when an infected person visited a bunch of nightclubs. What do all these places have in common? Confined, indoor spaces with sustained human contact. (Insert your own joke here about what kind of "sustained contact" happens at a sweaty, crowded night club.) This should provide a road map to re-opening for governments - get the economy back moving again, and focus the efforts on those known hot spots and high risk locations...

Reactions: pzeeman

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Again, though, the curve on this virus seems somewhat disconnected to upsurges in day to day activity. For instance, Georgia re-opened 16 days ago, and their restaurants opened nine days ago. No upsurge in cases so far - in fact, they are trending down. Florida's numbers are trending down now also and are roughly the same as California, which did everything "right" in terms of locking down.

Rather, this virus seems to crop up now in certain hot spots, be in seniors residences, meat processing facilities, prisons, etc. There was also a new outbreak in South Korea a few days ago when an infected person visited a bunch of nightclubs. What do all these places have in common? Confined, indoor spaces with sustained human contact. (Insert your own joke here about what kind of "sustained contact" happens at a sweaty, crowded night club.) This should provide a road map to re-opening for governments - get the economy back moving again, and focus the efforts on those known hot spots and high risk locations...

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/th...F2Ny9-GAr1zc6_wF9ZQISQ5EzgznAmBwvQu2CSmXfLpu0

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Rogan and Musk talking about covid in 2 different parts or one if you watch it the whole way through.

Musk makes a lot of the same points that people on here have made, but nothing really new. I guess he claims that hospital administrators in the US are falsely attributing deaths to COVID-19 so that they can cash in on some government assistance ... not sure if I've heard that specific assertion before.

It's unfortunate that Joe Rogan is such a lightweight. The conversation could have gone very deep at a few points and Rogan just didn't push it enough.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Musk makes a lot of the same points that people on here have made, but nothing really new. I guess he claims that hospital administrators in the US are falsely attributing deaths to COVID-19 so that they can cash in on some government assistance ... not sure if I've heard that specific assertion before.

It's unfortunate that Joe Rogan is such a lightweight. The conversation could have gone very deep at a few points and Rogan just didn't push it enough.
Interestingly enough, i was reading the other day about how the fed assistance package specifically avoided basing the amount of assistance a state would receive on caseload. There is a push for the next round to try and make the overall assistance more eqitable and need based. Apparently some of the hardest hit states were getting ~30k per hospitalization while lesser hit stayes were getting in the 1+ millions. Part of that is becauae the money is in part to address economic impact not just cost of providing healthcare.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa

He also named his kid Bullied At School so maybe he just wants to see chaos and suffering.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
He also named his kid Bullied At School so maybe he just wants to see chaos and suffering.
I know Musk is an increasingly controversial figure, and there are no shortage of people who now consider him to be a nutjob ... but I haven't really paid much attention to him; have never even seen him interviewed. So -- I went in to watching this with a completely open mind and no strong preconceptions about the guy.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa

Interesting how they talk about meat packing plants having lots of cases partially because it is kept cold. Some viruses die out a bit in the heat, but they also last longer in the cold or on food put in the fridge. Also church choirs were an issue where they were singing because the deep breaths of singing really cause more viral load to spread.

So cold hockey rinks, with lots of people singing and chanting loudly, will perhaps be one of the last places to reopen.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/nl-covid-testing-explained-1.5561292

How do we open up enough to play some form of playoffs when we can not be sure of the test results?
And if the players are allowed to travel home lets say .. and back again things could change. The NHL can afford the tests and perhaps different types of tests but.. exposure outside a quarantined environment is certainly possible.

I think its pretty the same with every work environment. If you work in an office or at a plant its the same .. leave go home , go shopping.. and come back to work and in 10-14-20 days an outbreak occurs.. This is going to be happening all across America. Do they have the right tests they can trust? How about contact tracing. Having a 64 people outbreak like they had in Chambly, QC could mount fairly quickly and spread in the community and outside it in a couple of weeks of being symptom free.

Not sure what the answer is.

Abstinence ?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Interesting how they talk about meat packing plants having lots of cases partially because it is kept cold. Some viruses die out a bit in the heat, but they also last longer in the cold or on food put in the fridge. Also church choirs were an issue where they were singing because the deep breaths of singing really cause more viral load to spread.

So cold hockey rinks, with lots of people singing and chanting loudly, will perhaps be one of the last places to reopen.

And apparently, I have heard it said that 80 degree temperature and ultraviolet light kills the virus in seconds. To the beach I go, Hi Ho, Hi Ho.! :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

We're so screwed lol.

Apparently, you may need some anger management classes and a course in diplomacy. :)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
upload_2020-5-11_17-2-40.png

qjKVp9.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->