NHL Super 16 Power Rankings

Draiken

Jun 28, 2011
Just reading through this and stopped at the Oilers at 10. I get that they've been bad for a long time and deserve some skepticism, they've also had a favorable schedule. They put Boston at #1 and used the top line scoring as their justification. Boston's top line has 24 points in 6 games. Edmonton's top line has 38 points in 7 and the team is first in the league overall. A couple of their panel of voters had Edmonton as low as 15.

Not sure why Tampa, Toronto and Vegas deserve to be top 10 at this point. I would have thought Anaheim and Pittsburgh should be higher.

Thoughts?

Link:

Super 16: Avalanche climb into top 5, Sabres, Hurricanes among risers

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This guy basically put no thought into it other than looking at the current standings:

BRIAN COMPTON
1. Colorado Avalanche; 2. Buffalo Sabres; 3. Carolina Hurricanes; 4. Edmonton Oilers; 5. Boston Bruins; 6. Pittsburgh Penguins; 7. Nashville Predators; 8. Toronto Maple Leafs; 9. St. Louis Blues; 10. Vegas Golden Knights; 11. Tampa Bay Lightning; 12. Anaheim Ducks; 13. Washington Capitals; 14. Vancouver Canucks; 15. Calgary Flames; 16. Philadelphia Flyers

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Nice to see the Canucks crack the list. They look like a much improved team from last year.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Ehhh. I have no problem with either list. Kind of hard to believe that the Hurricanes are that high on the list. Haven’t got to watch them play so I’m fine with it I guess.

After watching the Flyers against Edmonton last night, it’s hard to see them in the top half of the NHL right now.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Pens at 11 is dumb. They have won 4 or 5 straight
I think I get what they’re trying to do despite it probably not being the correct way to do power rankings.

Teams like the Penguins and Oilers get less benefit of the doubt because of the overall roster currently. Penguins are riddled with injuries and I think the Oilers bottom 6 has 1 point total combined or something ridiculous like that.

Power rankings should be based off how teams are playing currently, but the guys doing this one clearly believe the play of those two teams specifically are unsustainable. I don’t agree but I believe that’s their logic.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Ehhh. I have no problem with either list. Kind of hard to believe that the Hurricanes are that high on the list. Haven’t got to watch them play so I’m fine with it I guess.

After watching the Flyers against Edmonton last night, it’s hard to see them in the top half of the NHL right now.

What I have seen.. I think they're second right after Avs

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs have been poor. Their stars have good stat lines, they are middle of the pack, but it is by fluke. The team looks like they quit completely on Babcock.

- Can't get a save
- After only blowing 1 lead all of last season, have already blown 4 leads this year.
- Look disinterested outside of bottom 6 guys fighting for jobs.

4 years and same issues on the team. Last night Matthews played something like 13 seconds in the last 2 minutes with the goalie pulled. Babcock didn't use his time out when the team let in 3 goals in 3 minutes, and didn't use it at the end of the game when they had the goalie pulled and down by 1 goal to put his best guys on the ice.

Leafs are going to slide down the standings until they wake up and give a consistent effort or get a new coach IMO.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I think I get what they’re trying to do despite it probably not being the correct way to do power rankings.

Teams like the Penguins and Oilers get less benefit of the doubt because of the overall roster currently. Penguins are riddled with injuries and I think the Oilers bottom 6 has 1 point total combined or something ridiculous like that.

Power rankings should be based off how teams are playing currently, but the guys doing this one clearly believe the play of those two teams specifically are unsustainable. I don’t agree but I believe that’s their logic.
Why wouldn't the pens get the benefit of the doubt. They've made the playoffs 13 straight years and are playing very well with a decimated lineup.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Why Tampa and Toronto are at 4 and 5 I'll never know.
Tampa is 3-2-1, having beaten Fla, Tor, Mon: 8-7-5 combined record. Losing to Fla, Ott, and Car. 9-8-4 combined record.
Toronto is 4-3-1, having beaten Ott, Det, Min, CBJ: 8-15 combined record. Losing to Wash, STL, TB, and Mon(lol): 12-7-7 combined record.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->