Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm looking at you Lord Bettman

Gary-Bettman-smile.jpg

Blown Backes call just another example of the neutering of the NHL

As my late, great sports-loving father would say if he saw the hit that David Backes laid on Florida Panthers forward Vincent Trocheck that resulted in a match penalty for the Bruins rugged winger David Backes during the 3-0 loss in Sunrise on Thursday night, “Why don’t we just put skirts on them all and get it over with?”

And while that in many ways would not be considered acceptable terms to use these days when everyone gets offended over anything anyone says that doesn’t conform with their personal beliefs, no one ever accused my dad of being politically correct.

Nevertheless, in this case, he would have been spot on.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-plans-clarify-goalie-interference-rule/

NHL senior executive Colin Campbell joins HC at Noon to discuss how the league intends to address the goalie interference debacle at the upcoming GM Meetings.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
As years go on my interest in hockey is declining. I still love the sport, but i feel the NHL is doing everything they can to eliminate a very special aspect of the game. Physicality.

Zero hatred anymore. The Bruins and Montreal hate each other now as much as the Hurricanes hate the Coyotes, news flash, that's not very much.

I don't know. Some people love it now more than ever. I guess I'm just not one of those people.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I found the address of the NHL Offices and sent off a letter of condemnation. Past players as far back as Eddie Shore or more recently Wendel Clark or Rick Tocchet or Terry O'Reilly could not play in this p***yfied league. It's getting very friggin boring to watch,I can't imagine being a fan of a mediocre or worse team. I'm forever seeing people yawning at games. Stick Infraction enforcement is ludicrous,checking is barely allowed. It's gotten bad!

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
When you watch the Backes hit in real time, not with replay, it looks like a bad hit. That's because there are elements of a bad hit. Its high and its from the blind side. If the officials could see the replay they would probably only assessed a minor. But they can't do that.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
The league needs to sit down with the referees in the offseason and hold classes to review tape as to what is a penalty or not. That includes goalie interference and the physicality in the game. The referees are human and will interpret the rules differently. That is human error, but we have to deal with it. I would recommend the same for the DoPS as to what warrants a suspension/fine/nothing because that line seems quite a bit grey right now from my point of view but baby steps I suppose.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I found the address of the NHL Offices and sent off a letter of condemnation. Past players as far back as Eddie Shore or more recently Wendel Clark or Rick Tocchet or Terry O'Reilly could not play in this *****fied league. It's getting very friggin boring to watch,I can't imagine being a fan of a mediocre or worse team. I'm forever seeing people yawning at games. Stick Infraction enforcement is ludicrous,checking is barely allowed. It's gotten bad!

National Hockey League
1185 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036

(212) 789-2000

National Hockey League

50 Bay St,
Toronto, ON M5J 3A5
416-359-7900

National Hockey League  
1800 McGill College Ave
Montreal, QC H3A 3J6
514-841-9220

National Hockey League Players' Association
10 Bay Street Suite 1200
Toronto, ON M5J 2R8
416-313-2300

Reactions: Thrive

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
When you watch the Backes hit in real time, not with replay, it looks like a bad hit. That's because there are elements of a bad hit. Its high and its from the blind side. If the officials could see the replay they would probably only assessed a minor. But they can't do that.
The college game allows reviews of possible head shots.

Not sure if I would want instantvrebiew of everything but acreview in a case where a player may be ejected seems more reasonable,

I’m not keen on allowing head shots but I do want consistency and fairness.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The league has become like the overprotective parent or parents that won't let a kid be a kid.

They have created a department that wants things to do

The 2011 Bruins would not have had a team to play game 7 had they used today's warped judgment

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I found the address of the NHL Offices and sent off a letter of condemnation. Past players as far back as Eddie Shore or more recently Wendel Clark or Rick Tocchet or Terry O'Reilly could not play in this *****fied league. It's getting very friggin boring to watch,I can't imagine being a fan of a mediocre or worse team. I'm forever seeing people yawning at games. Stick Infraction enforcement is ludicrous,checking is barely allowed. It's gotten bad!

Add the ludicrous and momentum killing "off side challenge," and there you go.

I think in important ways -- speed, skill, genuine competition -- the league is much better than in the clutch & grab era. I don't even mind the diminished role of fighting (Concussions + CTE = lawsuits; it's all about the money for Mr. Bettman and his bosses).

What I mind, as others lament, is the degree to which physical play has been legislated, tweaked and almost rendered a no go area. It's both frustrating and sad. I didn't grow up enjoying skillful but sanitized European hockey. I don't want to watch it now, or have it shoved forcibly down my throat.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The league has become like the overprotective parent or parents that won't let a kid be a kid.

They have created a department that wants things to do

The 2011 Bruins would not have had a team to play game 7 had they used today's warped judgment
You watching BC -BU? What a game - BC looks like the 1977 Canadiens in overtime but still tied

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I think the NHL is doing it more out of fear of lawsuits from brain damage than for new fans. At least I hope that is the reasoning.
The players that we know have been seriously damaged have been mostly hired fighters,not players who fought a few times. The only others I really remember quitting over head injuries were Deadmarsh,Savard,Lindros and Kariya. Crack down on the goon fighting,absolutely eliminate it,crack down on hitting from behind,hits to the head, and freighttraining unsuspecting or vulnerable players,but back the eff off everything else. Slashing is a joke,hooking is a joke,tripping is a joke,interference is a joke,and they are not funny jokes.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The league needs to sit down with the referees in the offseason and hold classes to review tape as to what is a penalty or not. That includes goalie interference and the physicality in the game. The referees are human and will interpret the rules differently. That is human error, but we have to deal with it. I would recommend the same for the DoPS as to what warrants a suspension/fine/nothing because that line seems quite a bit grey right now from my point of view but baby steps I suppose.
How can the league "hold classes to review tape as to what is a penalty or not" when they themselves obviously don't know !?!?! It's like these "suits" have never been to an NHL game before. I can only imagine if they could watch some old time hockey the shock that they'd be in by the violent collisions etc.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I watch a lot of. Bruins hockey this year because they are good. They are fun. If they stunk, I'd invest my time elsewhere. I was done with baseball in June last year with the Mets and rarely watched. Vikings were good so watched them.

I don't watch nearly as much other hockey as I used to. The game bores me as is many nights. No hitting. Lots of whistles. Terrible officiating. Instant replay on everything. No hatred or fights. I grew up in a time where there seemed to be eight goals, three fights and numerous hits per game. Was fun and felt like you got your money's worth.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Last edited:

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
How can the league "hold classes to review tape as to what is a penalty or not" when they themselves obviously don't know !?!?! It's like these "suits" have never been to an NHL game before. I can only imagine if they could watch some old time hockey the shock that they'd be in by the violent collisions etc.
I honestly don't know Strafer. It might sound silly and stupid, but it's the only solution I have. Have the league and referees sit in a room for a week straight with Little Caesars on speed dial until they go over the rule book and come to a consensus on what the rules are and how to interpret them. I am not an expert on the NHL official rule book, but I feel like over the years, ever since the Bruins 2011 cup win really, the NHL has been dissecting the game and complicating the rules which has lead to the inconsistency of calls by the referees all season. It screams incompetence from the suits. It is their responsibility to address and fix what has been a season with great success stories (players, Vegas etc.) being clouded with controversy surrounding penalties, goalie interference, and inconsistent suspensions.

Reactions: Thrive

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I know the Olympics are a small sample size, but after watching them (this year and 2014) I'm not convinced a bigger ice surface is the answer. It's a given defensive-minded NHL coaches will figure out a way to keep the play 'outside the dots' since there will be more area. And if the league needs to tone down the physicality, they need to find a way to keep more of the action 'inside the dots.'

The primary purpose of a check initially was separating the player from the puck. Many of the league's most ferocious hitters have historically mixed in a good deal of intimidation. Knowing what we now do about concussions, if that element of the game has to be eliminated, so be it.

But I'm not going to watch endless puck battles in the corners, and teams sitting on leads by forcing everything to the outside.

I'm also noticing as this current season grinds on, teams are already running out of gas in today's 'faster, more skilled' NHL. It was exciting early in the season, but now along with injuries and questionable suspensions, fatigue is definitely setting in. I fear we may be in for some trap-fests come playoffs.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I know the Olympics are a small sample size, but after watching them (this year and 2014) I'm not convinced a bigger ice surface is the answer. It's a given defensive-minded NHL coaches will figure out a way to keep the play 'outside the dots' since there will be more area. And if the league needs to tone down the physicality, they need to find a way to keep more of the action 'inside the dots.'

The primary purpose of a check initially was separating the player from the puck. Many of the league's most ferocious hitters have historically mixed in a good deal of intimidation. Knowing what we now do about concussions, if that element of the game has to be eliminated, so be it.

But I'm not going to watch endless puck battles in the corners, and teams sitting on leads by forcing everything to the outside.

I'm also noticing as this current season grinds on, teams are already running out of gas in today's 'faster, more skilled' NHL. It was exciting early in the season, but now along with injuries and questionable suspensions, fatigue is definitely setting in. I fear we may be in for some trap-fests come playoffs.

2013 was the best hockey the NHL had seen in years because it was a short season.

The refs are told what the league wants and they are aware that the playoff assignments go to the officials who follow the instructions. Something that is overlooked is the refs get tired as well and they are out there for the full 60 minutes. They also are always on the road, unlike the players.

We can moan that the quality of hockey today is terrible but as long as most arenas are sold out every night nothing will change.

upload_2018-3-17_2-52-43.png

Reactions: Aeroforce

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
2013 was the best hockey the NHL had seen in years because it was a short season.

The refs are told what the league wants and they are aware that the playoff assignments go to the officials who follow the instructions. Something that is overlooked is the refs get tired as well and they are out there for the full 60 minutes. They also are always on the road, unlike the players.

We can moan that the quality of hockey today is terrible but as long as most arenas are sold out every night nothing will change.

View attachment 105269

I agree on 2013. But I know shortening the season is not a consideration. As I mentioned, I think the current quality of play is not good, but it was earlier in the season. I think the questionable scheduling, along with the curiously timed bye week contribute. Teams get close to a week off before the All Star Break, as well as a few days off at Christmas, and as a result, teams are out of gas with a condensed schedule still to play. Factor in travel, and the product suffers.

As for the attendance, those numbers look good, but the eyeball test tells a different story. Take Detroit - they are listed at 100%, but I haven't seen a game there all season that looked anywhere close to that. I know people have said over at the Business section that those seats are sold. But are that many people really buying tickets and not showing up?

Vegas is a great story, but as that NY Times article stated, they are drawing a lot of out-of-towners. I caught the first period of tonight's game against Minnesota, and when Jason Zucker scored, it sounded like a Minny home game. Granted Zucker is from the area and had family in attendance, but it was more than that.

And that's happening in other markets, too. There were about as many hats on the ice the other night in Carolina for Pastrnak's hat trick as there would've been in Boston!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I agree on 2013. But I know shortening the season is not a consideration. As I mentioned, I think the current quality of play is not good, but it was earlier in the season. I think the questionable scheduling, along with the curiously timed bye week contribute. Teams get close to a week off before the All Star Break, as well as a few days off at Christmas, and as a result, teams are out of gas with a condensed schedule still to play. Factor in travel, and the product suffers.

As for the attendance, those numbers look good, but the eyeball test tells a different story. Take Detroit - they are listed at 100%, but I haven't seen a game there all season that looked anywhere close to that. I know people have said over at the Business section that those seats are sold. But are that many people really buying tickets and not showing up?

Vegas is a great story, but as that NY Times article stated, they are drawing a lot of out-of-towners. I caught the first period of tonight's game against Minnesota, and when Jason Zucker scored, it sounded like a Minny home game. Granted Zucker is from the area and had family in attendance, but it was more than that.

And that's happening in other markets, too. There were about as many hats on the ice the other night in Carolina for Pastrnak's hat trick as there would've been in Boston!

From the business side, things have never been better for the NHL

Vegas was a rich man's toy (Bill Foley) who agreed happily to pay 500 million out of his petty cash to get the secret handshake that owners have even though half of the teams in the NHL were worth less at the time. Now the NHL will get $650 million from Seattle and they sold 10.000 season tickets in 12 minutes on March 1. Sooner or later the Coyotes are headed for Houston unless the BOG really gets greedy and expands to 34 and Quebec finally gets their team back,

South Florida is also a fragile market and when you look at demographics it is not a good fit for hockey as 72% of the population is not inclined to follow hockey.

upload_2018-3-17_4-0-45.png

Throw in the fact that the arena in Sunrise is not easy to get to for most of the people who do care and 1 mile west of the arena is a swamp called the Everglades.

What scares me going into the playoffs is the NHL really needs Toronto to win a round or two to keep Rogers Sportsnet happy. Winnipeg will be the other Canadian team in the playoffs but their TV market is the same size as Providence. Francophones have stopped watching hockey in big numbers with Montreal's bad season so the Maple Leafs are it.

Lord Bettman really is in most cases 'the smartest guy in the room'. As far as the owners are concerned he has only made one major mistake in 25 years and that was not vetting John Spano who wound up buying the Islanders when he had about $300 bucks in his checking account.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad