NHL NHL Standings Watch - 2019-20 Edition - Updated 3/11/20

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
True . I don’t want to play the Leafs or Tampa in round 1 . maybe it would be more ideal if they finished 2nd and 3rd in the division. After that , who really knows how it will play out as anything can and will happen in the first round of the playoffs.

Tampa will end up in 2nd place in division. Don’t worry. And if they don’t, means they are broken since their total collapse in the playoffs last year.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-12-20_2-20-14.png

Reactions: smithformeragent

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The expected correction in the Atlantic has taken place, as the Bruins, Leafs, and Bolts are now 1, 2, & 3. Tampa is within 3 points of the Leafs thanks to a 5 game winning streak, and they have 3 games in hand.

While the glass is half full that the B's are one of only two teams with single digit regulation losses, the half empty glass shows they are the only team with double digit OTL, with 11.

Columbus has the second most with 8, after winning in Boston in OT.

Sure 3 on 3 and shootouts don't happen in the playoffs, but the B's are leaving very valuable points on the table. Just think of the buffer they'd have had they managed to earn even 5 of the 11 points they've squandered.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
The expected correction in the Atlantic has taken place, as the Bruins, Leafs, and Bolts are now 1, 2, & 3. Tampa is within 3 points of the Leafs thanks to a 5 game winning streak, and they have 3 games in hand.

While the glass is half full that the B's are one of only two teams with single digit regulation losses, the half empty glass shows they are the only team with double digit OTL, with 11.

Columbus has the second most with 8, after winning in Boston in OT.

Sure 3 on 3 and shootouts don't happen in the playoffs, but the B's are leaving very valuable points on the table. Just think of the buffer they'd have had they managed to earn even 5 of the 11 points they've squandered.

I am beginning to get the feeling that Boston will not be on top of the division at season's end, given the way that the team has been playing recently. In addition, the schedule will get harder for the Bruins from here on out.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I am beginning to get the feeling that Boston will not be on top of the division at season's end, given the way that the team has been playing recently. In addition, the schedule will get harder for the Bruins from here on out.
Personally don’t really care where they finish,really other than Toronto has home ice advantage really helped the Bruins in the playoffs lately,hell wouldn’t even say lately, more like the last 10 years or more,other than 2011 that is.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

Harder? Haven't they just played 19 games in 35 nights? At least in the next half there will be a couple of breaks.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Agreed, unfortunately.

I would rather Tampa and Toronto meet in the first round as the pressure for each to get out of the first round will be astronomical. And heads will roll in the front office of whoever loses.

The wildcards are still up in the air. Pittsburgh has been strong despite key injuries. But Guentzel going down may be the straw that breaks the camel's back. And the Islanders have faltered.

But if they both remain 2 & 3 in the Metro, I'd rather the Bruins play Carolina, Philly, or whoever manages a wildcard berth.

Reactions: Estlin

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
4-1-3 in last 8

second best record in nhl after 44 games

25-8-11 season record... thats just 8 out of 44 'real loses'

none of us are happy with the gimmick loses im sure... but this team is playing playoff hockey and refuses to be beat in 60 mins. im stoked... bring on the playoffs now far as im concerned

just stay healthy please... im not 100% sold on our depth... so honestly, if the team doesnt get into a lot of slug-it-out goony hockey the next couple months im just fine with it

also start resting Bergeron/chara/maybe krejci... got to stay focused... playoffs is what its all about... keep these guys fresh

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
HF Maple Leafs is now a complete

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Kyle Dubas has already fired the coach and now he knows if the Leafs don't make the playoffs he is gone as Sportsnet/Rogers is looking at massive losses if the Leafs DNQ. Finishing 4th in the Atlantic may not be good enough to make the playoffs and I am not going to bet against Joel Quenneville's Panthers finishing ahead of the Leafs.

Toronto looked awful against a Chicago team that is suddenly back in the playoff picture.

The Bruins over the final 32 games need to stay ahead of Tampa and set up a best-case scenario where Tampa and Florida meet in the first round and the Habs and Leafs will wind up competing on RDS in miniature golf - @Runner77 stop laughing - BIRDIE!!!!!

upload_2020-1-19_2-28-27.png

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
HF Maple Leafs is now a complete

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Kyle Dubas has already fired the coach and now he knows if the Leafs don't make the playoffs he is gone as Sportsnet/Rogers is looking at massive losses if the Leafs DNQ. Finishing 4th in the Atlantic may not be good enough to make the playoffs and I am not going to bet against Joel Quenneville's Panthers finishing ahead of the Leafs.

Toronto looked awful against a Chicago team that is suddenly back in the playoff picture.

The Bruins over the final 32 games need to stay ahead of Tampa and set up a best-case scenario where Tampa and Florida meet in the first round and the Habs and Leafs will wind up competing on RDS in miniature golf - @Runner77 stop laughing - BIRDIE!!!!!

Nothing brings me more joy as I enjoy my early morning coffee.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
At the All-Star break, the 2nd wild card spot in the East is on pace for 100 points, with the Flyers missing out when they're on a 98 point pace. In the Atlantic, the 3rd spot (Panthers) is on pace for 102 points, with the Leafs out of the playoffs on pace for 95 points. Ridiculously competitive this year to make it into the playoffs in the East.

Compare that to the West where a 90 point team (Vegas) is projected to make it in, while the best to not make it would be at 89 points (Nashville).

Last year Colorado made it in with 90 points while Arizona was the best to miss out at 86 points. In the East Montreal missed out with 96 points.

This ridiculous playoff structure combined with the West being god-awful (they currently have only 2 of the top 10 teams in the league) is creating some ugly situations.

If you're looking at it based on reputation and on paper, you have a quadrant of St. Louis/Colorado/Dallas/Vegas and then a quadrant of Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary/Arizona. The top 4 teams in that god-awful conference would all be playing each other in the first 2 rounds, which would mean one of the Canadian teams or Arizona would be getting a pass to the Conference Finals. That's just wrong.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
opening up distance over st louis for second

Toronto and florida falling well off the pace

I suppose theres no shame in going down the wire with tampa as an opponent for first place. pretty much everyone conceded they were the best team in hockey before this year started. personally I think we will beat them rather easily for first seed

can we catch washington for president?
to be honest... there is no curse

teams that win the president do just as well in the playoffs as teams that finish second or third

i wouldnt want to run our guys into the ground just to catch Washington though. not sure home ice in a showdown with them will matter enough to risk running our guys into the ground

if it happens great... if not... just get ready for playoffs. focus on whats important. that little slump in December was meaningless and never needs to be mentioned again {barely needed to be mentioned even as it was happening}

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
boston wins... now 9-2-1 last 12 games {fire Sweeney now!!! lol}

Toronto loses... their great white hope is suffering a neck injury and they are falling further and further behind the wild card race as philly/Carolina/Columbus show very little signs of slowing down

laid a butt kicking on hated Vancouver yesterday... although got to admit they look pretty good to me...

montreal talk radio is all about how they need to tear the team to the bones and rebuild... wondering if they have wrecked their finnish center they drafted a couple years ago... and with that insane contract for carey price not even started yet...

damn if it aint a hell of a lot of fun to be standings watching today as boston moves into first place overall

are we perfect? maybe not... but all that whinning and crying in December was trying to make me think we sucked. hell no... we dont suck boys and girls. we dont suck

its a good tine to be a bruin fan
bring on the cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad