NHL should post puck drop time

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I wouldn't publish it either if it was my call.

If being on time is a given, then publishing that data only opens one up to being wrong and drawing scrutiny. There is nothing for any party to gain by going out of their way to nail it down.

Reactions: Brownies

Hammond

Apr 22, 2015
Hamilton
I thought about posting the exact same thing almost every day. As I’m replying the caps-canes game was scheduled for 3pm, but the puck drop was 3:21pm.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In soccer, when they say 3:00, we are literally kicking the ball for the first time at 3:00. Not a minute later.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
If game starts at 7:00, puck should drop at about 7:05 to allow broadcast teams to set up the game on TV and be ready to go. All pregame stuff including anthems should be done prior to the broadcast. I really don't care or need to listen to the anthems.

Reactions: Toene and nofehr

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
You used to be able to set your clock 7-8 minutes past scheduled start time and you'd hit puck drop perfectly every time. It doesn't seem as predictable these days.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Yup hate it. If you are going to have pregame ceremonies provide a puck drop time taking it into account.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
"Bingo ... its a business" isn't an excuse for a business to treat its customers like ****.

The next time you get sawdust in your burger instead of meat ... bingo its a business. People seem to forget.

Terrible analogy.. A restaurant putting sawdust in your burger is like the NHL not telling people when puck drop will be? The NHL isn’t ruining their product. They are just making some extra advertising money on it.

And you’ll still watch the games anyway. People are just complaining because it’s an inconvenience lol. Meanwhile those commercials pregame generate more revenue than all of the slightly inconvenienced fans combined so....

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
So then why don’t all the other pro sports do it?

I’ve never seen a 1pm NFL game kick off at 1pm, and I’ve never been to a 7:08pm baseball game where first pitch was at 7:08. Usually it’s 7:10 - 7:15pm. And the first 5 minutes of an NBA game is irrelevant anyway. Also, the Super Bowl never starts remotely close to ”on time”.

This thread is hilarious

Reactions: Kdotsection88

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I’ve never seen a 1pm NFL game kick off at 1pm, and I’ve never been to a 7:08pm baseball game where first pitch was at 7:08. Usually it’s 7:10 - 7:15pm. And the first 5 minutes of an NBA game is irrelevant anyway. Also, the Super Bowl never starts remotely close to ”on time”.

This thread is hilarious

Strange, I've seen the things you haven't.

I don't really care either way.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
And you’ll still watch the games anyway. People are just complaining because it’s an inconvenience lol. Meanwhile those commercials pregame generate more revenue than all of the slightly inconvenienced fans combined so....

Setting a puck-drop time would mean that commercials right before it would likely pay significantly better than they do now though.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
For the regular season at least, I find 15 after is usually pretty accurate for puck drop or opening lineups at least. Only exceptions being special occasions, like a retirement/player recognition or whatever.

Been too long since my team made a playoff run for me to remember the difference there.

"Bingo ... its a business" isn't an excuse for a business to treat its customers like ****.

The next time you get sawdust in your burger instead of meat ... bingo its a business. People seem to forget.

I’m on board with your stance, but that’s an awful analogy.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The scheduled puck drop time is available somewhere - our Bruins GDTs usually have it. Whether that aligns with reality or not (anthem singer holds on to the word "brave" an extra 40 seconds), who knows.

That said, I've found puck drops fairly consistent with respect to the arenas they play in. I imagine each arena has its own pregame show, and some might take 1 or 2 minutes longer. Bruins usually start about 7-8 minutes past the hour, unless it's a national game (either nation).

Playoffs, it's a whole different story. It's usually 15 minutes to open a series, and of course the mandatory 15+ minutes if your game is on HNIC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad