WJC: NHL should not schedule games when WJC finals are on?

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
This was brought to my attention when NHL Agent Allan Walsh re-tweeted this from a Habs fan:

http://twitter.com/habsinsideout1

NHL should give #wjhc gold-medal game respect it gives Super Bowl: no games up against it. C'mon Gary, 1 night.

Given how many people watched the finals in Canada, and how few people were at Canadian NHL games that night, you gotta give it consideration....

Derick*

Local team fans in the US wouldnt like it seeing as most of them dont care about the WJC.

On olympic years it'd be quite difficult to tighten up the schedule even further.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
They don't go up against the Super Bowl because everyone in either country is watching it. No one in the States even knows the WJC are going on, so it's hardly a concern for 5/6 or the league. Just a ridiculous idea. At most if you want to keep Canadian teams from playing in Canada, go for it, but Canadians must understand that it's a nothing tournament to most NHL markets.

Last edited:

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
People already ***** about no games on Sundays, light schedule on Mondays, etc. This isn't going to help. Besides, if the WJC final was say, Slovakia vs. Germany, do you think there would be the same amount of people tuning in? Everything just fell into place for an epic gold medal game this year. You won't get that every year.

The NHL can't just keep tip toeing around every other sporting event. They have their own league to take care of.

Toni Porkka

Jun 29, 2007
Marburg, Germany
People already ***** about no games on Sundays, light schedule on Mondays, etc. This isn't going to help. Besides, if the WJC final was say, Slovakia vs. Germany, do you think there would be the same amount of people tuning in? Everything just fell into place for an epic gold medal game this year. You won't get that every year.

The NHL can't just keep tip toeing around every other sporting event. They have their own league to take care of.

Not in this Millennium

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
For at least the Canadian teams they should halt the schedule for one night.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Yeah, maybe they should just not schedule the Canadian teams, but shutting down the whole league is ridiculous.

The vast majority of American hockey fans didn't even know that this tournament was going on, and even many of the ones who do know about it don't care about it.

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
This is the first year I watched all of the USA games, and even some of the other ones, for the WJC. I started watching it last year just because I wanted to see the Avs' prospects play. Anyway my point is that the WJC gained a fan this year in the USA. I am sure that is the case all over America.

I don't think the NHL needs to be put on hold though.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
For at least the Canadian teams they should halt the schedule for one night.

You can't guarantee that Team Canada will always be in the final. The schedule comes out in July, they can't foresee that Team Canada will be in the final for sure 100%.

bigtimehockeyfan

Nov 26, 2009
Bettman only cares about American audience. He'll not schedule on Super Bowl night, but will on WJC gold night because not many people in America watch the WJC.

He's a money sucking clown that will forever try to win over mainstream America.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
What. The WJC final in Canada is comparable.

You can't compare the US and Canadian markets, they're not even close. If Canadians don't watch NHL hockey that night - fine, but there is absolutely no reason for the NHL to stop during a kid's tournament watched only in Canada.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
You can't compare the US and Canadian markets, they're not even close. If Canadians don't watch NHL hockey that night - fine, but there is absolutely no reason for the NHL to stop during a kid's tournament watched only in Canada.

The NHL has no problem scheduling around local events.

In Edmonton, the CFR takes over for a week or so and the Oilers always go on an early November road trip.

Just don't schedule Canadian teams on nights of a medal round. It's just good for business.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
Local team fans in the US wouldnt like it seeing as most of them dont care about the WJC.

Then maybe they will start paying attention. It is one night, and most players want to watch it more then almost any hockey game on during the year.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I think the NHL has an excellent opportunity next year. They should really promote the WJC. Maybe have some US games on Versus. Especially the Gold medal game.

In The Flesh

Apr 26, 2006
Bettman only cares about American audience. He'll not schedule on Super Bowl night, but will on WJC gold night because not many people in America watch the WJC.

He's a money sucking clown that will forever try to win over mainstream America.

thats where the money is

the league doesn't have to worry two ***** about canadian fans, they know how die hard they are, they know what the game means to them, they know they will go out of their way for hockey

The Big Swede*

Giving the Canadian Teams the night off seems pretty reasonable

Also

WJC> Superbowl in Canada

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
You can't compare the US and Canadian markets, they're not even close.

Why can't I? I'm not saying the NHL should take the night off, but Canadian teams should. The WJC in Canada is totally comparable to the Super Bowl in the US.

If Canadians don't watch NHL hockey that night - fine, but there is absolutely no reason for the NHL to stop during a kid's tournament watched only in Canada.

Why not? Couldn't I just as easily say there is absolutely no reason for the NHL to stop during a men's football game? Again, I'm not saying the NHL should stop, just give Canadian teams the night off.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Why can't I? I'm not saying the NHL should take the night off, but Canadian teams should. The WJC in Canada is totally comparable to the Super Bowl in the US.

Why not? Couldn't I just as easily say there is absolutely no reason for the NHL to stop during a men's football game? Again, I'm not saying the NHL should stop, just give Canadian teams the night off.

The reason they don't play during the Super Bowl is because they can't compete with it. It would be economical suicide to do so. That's a very good reason. 5/6th of the NHL markets don't compete with the World Juniors at all. It's not a concern for most of the league. I already said that giving the Canadian teams the night off is a reasonable enough option (in fact I was the first one to recommend it), but even that becomes pointless if and when Canada is not in the finals. They have no way of knowing six or so months ahead of time (when the NHL schedule is made) who is going to be playing in it. Unlike the Superbowl, it makes a huge difference in WJC finals viewership.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad