NHL should come back with a 45 million salary cap offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSible1*

DementedReality said:
true .... and the blood is on his hands.

like i said, the owners needs should not take priority over the playing of The Stanley Cup.

awarding the cup means more then whether some billionaire has his finances perfect.

dr
Blood on his hands? Hold on a minute drama queen.

No one is getting killed. The world won't stop spinning if the Stanley Cup isn't awarded. By removing the absolute need to have a season, Bettman has ensured that the owners have the hammer and the willingness to use it gives his side all the leverage he needs.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
Thunderstruck said:

No one is getting killed. The world won't stop spinning if the Stanley Cup isn't awarded. By removing the absolute need to have a season, Bettman has ensured that the owners have the hammer and the willingness to use it gives his side all the leverage he needs.
and this leverage is more important than the stanley cup ?

and how did Bettman remove the absolute need to have a season ? just because *he* he said so ?

there needs to be a season. bettman and the owners needs are not more important than the stanley cup.

dr

A Good Flying Bird*

Thunderstruck said:

The longer this goes on, the greater that the chance the the hockey world will stop spinning in some NHL cities.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
DementedReality said:

and how did Bettman remove the absolute need to have a season ? just because *he* he said so ?

there needs to be a season. bettman and the owners needs are not more important than the stanley cup.

dr

Actually, I would have to disagree. The owners are first and foremost business men. They invested their money with the goal of making more money. Their personnal reasons for selecting hockey as an investment may vary, but the bottom line is, they expect to make money. If owners are consistently losing money, which has been the case for some time for many owners, they will look to find ways to get their investment to make money. I'm sure they would prefer not to shutdown the league to do that, but if they feel that is the only way to do what they feel must be done, they will do it because hockey is a business.

I'm a hockey fan. I love my team and miss hockey greatly. But, if we have to miss the Stanley Cup so that my team and others can continue to exist and have a reasonable chance to hold on to their players (I don't see that as being the case right now, and it has been discussed in previous threads so you can look them up if you want...), so be it.

It takes two side to come to an agreement. If their is no hockey this season, it is the fault of both sides, but I would put more blame on the players at this point. They are paid very well for what they do. If the owners get thier way, they will still be paid very well for what they do. Do you think the players really care about teams being able to keep teams together? I don't. The players only concern is making as much money as possible and if a less successful team will offer them more money, 9 times out of ten, they will go for the money. Neither side in this is concerned about hockey. They are both looking out for money.

SENSible1*

DementedReality said:

dr

The leverage is far more important than awarding the cup this season. This leverage ends the PA's ability to force the owners to hold their nose and sign a deal they no won't work in the long-term, just to avoid short-term pain.

The owners voted to make getting the right deal more important than having a season. Whether Bettman suggested this idea and they agreed, or if someone else brought it forward as a strategy is irrelevant. They are willing to take this drastic step because they feel it is necessary. What should that tell you about the state of the league?

Brent Burns Beard