NHL should come back with a 45 million salary cap offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
Which just happens to be covered by the TV contract. When the NHL has a similar TV contract, players can make a similar %.

Covered or not its still 65% of the revenues. Unless there is new math involved that still only leaves 35% to the owners.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
nyr7andcounting said:
Some valid points, but as you said the average salary for a team this year was around $45 million, which was too high. Creating a salary cap there would only force some teams to cut a bunch of players, but as you said teams under that cap would have the money to sign those guys that got cut. Obviously the overall level of salaries would lower somewhat, but not enough.

But that is where the changes to arbitration and entry level salaries would actually mean something.

If you put the cap at 31 million, arbitration would become somewhat obsolete because you are looking at 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders to pay. 23 players for 31 million dollars. That works out to 1.34 million per player. With salaries like that the max contract would have be somewhere around 4 million because Bettman proposed an increase in the minimum player salary. What is an arbitrator going to do if a max player gets 4 million. Nobody could argue they are on the level of a Forsberg, a Sakic, Sundin, Iginla, Kovalchuk, Brodeur and salaries would be stuck at a low level for the stars. The top level players would then have the option of going over to Russia and playing for similar contracts.

At 45 million a strict arbitration system would be able to lower the amount awarded through the system, and with lower entry level contracts teams would be able to keep their younger players until their UFA stage at least.

As for just cutting teams, it is so difficult to contract, see what happened in MLB when they tried to contract the Expos and Twins, that any is unlikely. Personally I am torn between wanted a few teams gone, and giving them a chance. It bothers me that Nashville can have such a low payroll and still lose money, but they had awesome fan attendance down the stretch, and it really isn't fair to cut a team before they have had a chance to build any story behind the franchise to make people want to come.

The same goes for Atlanta. Very disappointing to date, but they have two of the most gifted offensive players in the game, have possibly the best goaltender in the league (in 3 years) ready to start at the NHL, and some really solid defense prospects. The team starts to win, and perhaps you give the fringe fans more reason to come when the struggle later.

But teams like Pittsburgh and Washington I have had it with. I feel sorry for the true fans of these teams, but they are floating face down in the river right now. People leaving after the second intermission of a 2 goal game in the playoffs is inexcusable for a franchise. Having half filled arenas during the playoffs is too much to allow. I think Leonsis is one of the better owners of NHL franchises, and I wouldn't mind having him as the owner of another team but I would not lose sleep if Washington or Pittsburgh disappeared.

Going back to a possible 45 million dollar cap. Demanding teams meet the cap level is unfair. But I think it would be fair to say that a minimum of 30 would have to be spent with a hard cap at 40-45 million. It brings the amount spent by some teams up, but it also cuts the 6-7 teams that are spending 20-50 million more than the lowest teams.
It is too unreasonable to completely take away the monetary advantage of your most successful franchises, because like it or not, but if Toronto, Detroit, Philly, New York, etc. because just another franchise the NHL suffers a lot more. They are the ones that generate the most revenue and if you take away the option to spend some of that people may not come to these teams as often, and if they don't come, then you don't generate the revenue in the first place.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Bring Back Bucky said:
I want a system that enables all teams a fair shot at ufa's

I understand the sentiment and the frustration it bubbles up from. But I think a real good philosphical perspective can and has been made that in the balance of fan interests, this is not the best goal to shoot for. Better is the ability to develop an elite team in its prime at below free market value.

Buying UFAs as a method to success is illusory and non championship team building related. This perspective must be changed, not a system designed to fit it imo. There is no "perfect fairness". A properly designed market can overall render the money advantage not significant enough find overall unfair. The change that needs to be made is in this expectation of the fans.

If you want to experience the joy of greatness and success, you have to be willing to accept the agony and patience of building and waiting without complaining it proces the system is unfair. If you want the ability to have an elite team for 5 years, you must be willing to accept the consequence of a basement dweller for the same length of time. That is what is truly fair.

London Knights said:
But teams like Pittsburgh and Washington I have had it with.

I dont see why you should. These teams suffered the natural conequence of having a team filled with UFAs that was no longer improving or winning big. I suppose Leonsis being rich can afford to keep spending on UFAs with his team that is now down to fighting for a playoff spot, but that NYR strategy is not a good hockey risk, let alone business risk. Washington is in a proper state of renewal now. And have a great chance to develop an excellent team by the time Ovechkin is in his prime many years from now. They dont need the right to buy UFAs now while they develop.

Pit and Wash are model franchises. The model when you fail after signing UFAs or keep your UFAs while getting worse results each year. These 2 franchises are poised to grow over the next 5 years and have the best ability to nab a franchise player. They may or may not succeed but there's no guarantees (unless its owners profits apparently) They have the start with new franchise players and many youngsters to sift through to develop a new team. Personally, i find this growth from nothing over several years an exciting prospect for hockey fans. If they didnt have a fear it may cause them to lose their team because the owner will lose money, (which Leonsis likely wont and Mario apparently isnt), fans would be excited at the prospect of starting from scratch. Every team cant improve every year. Failure and renewal from scratch is not a cause for contraction.

SENSible1*

shakes said:
Covered or not its still 65% of the revenues. Unless there is new math involved that still only leaves 35% to the owners.

If you take 35% of 100 dollars and I take 35% of 1 billion dollars are we both equally well off?

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
thinkwild said:
If you want to experience the joy of greatness and success, you have to be willing to accept the agony and patience of building and waiting without complaining it proces the system is unfair. If you want the ability to have an elite team for 5 years, you must be willing to accept the consequence of a basement dweller for the same length of time. That is what is truly fair.
\

Exactly. If a cap produces parity, every team has a 1 in 30 chance every year. I'd rather be able to increase those odds through good management at the risk of decreasing them.

SENSible1*

hockeytown9321 said:
Exactly. If a cap produces parity, every team has a 1 in 30 chance every year. I'd rather be able to increase those odds through good management at the risk of decreasing them.

1) A cap won't produce parity.

2) Good management will be even more important under a cap.

3) Big market fans, like yourself, are fighting to keep their teams from ever having to go through the basement dwelling stage and from ever having to dismantle their teams based on player cost decisions. You want a system that applies to the majority of the league, but leaves your teams with a distinct advantage.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Bring Back Bucky said:
Let's start with the basics;

24 man roster (no idea if this is correct
5 men on injured reserve
15 in the AHL paid by NHL affiliate
8 signed juniors returned to their clubs

That's 52 per team. Yes, I am probably off by a few here and there. However, the point is contraction costs jobs.

Thanks for clarifying where you got the figure of 4 teams since that was the last round of expansion. Why not contract all 9 franchises that have been awarded from the nineties on. You feel entitled to ask me to "gimme" my math, so please, explain why you "feel" that 26 is such a magic numjber. What are the four markets, and why? Their fanbases would undoubtedly love to know where you're coming from.

Well the basics are off here and there, which I guess is why the numbers don't make sense. But, bottom line is that with the contraction of 4 teams the league would lose a number of player contracts, but most of these contracts will be 4th liners/AHL players who didn't have contracts up until a couple of years ago anyway.

"Why not contract all 9 franchises that have been awarded from the 90's on?" Again, 9 teams is way too much. A pro league needs atleast mid 20's as far as amount of teams. On the other hand, 2 teams wouldn't have much of an affect. At the same time, your probably looking at an even number to keep the conferences balanced, so in my mind it's either 4 or 6. I don't think there are 6 teams that deserve to be contracted, so my "magic" number is 4.

Anyway, my reasoning for 4 teams is that I think there are about 4 too many teams in small markets that aren't really excited about hockey and about 75-100 players who aren't what I would call NHL material. Contracting this amount of teams and taking these players out of the league and putting them back in the minors would be good for the talent level displayed by each team in the league, it would lead to a somewhat more exciting game and it would help the league economically, which is the main thing.

You have to remember, before the recent rounds of expansion, players that are now NHL 4th liners were minor leaguers. Just because the NHL added 4 teams doesn't mean that the NHL was able to create 100 more players with the talent to play at the NHL level. Expansion brought more subpar players into the league which hurt the level of play. I mean I watch as many games as I can each year, and I can't tell you how many times I see a team play with 2 guys on their 4th line who can't even handle a puck. Or they have a guy who can't do anything but go out take cheap shots at people and pick a fight. Dale Purinton is a guy who comes to mind, he's a guy who probably wouldn't be in the league if there were 4 fewer teams, and I would be fine with it.

Also, when the NHL added these 4 teams they didn't lower the minimum salary level. So, the 100 minor league players who where now allowed to call themselves NHLers got the same salaries as the current 4th line NHLers. The guys already in the league, rightfully so, demanded higher salaries because they were obviously better than the players brought into the league through expansion. This had a ripple affect and contributed to the inflation of salaries. Also, 4 more markets means 4 more teams demanding players, which drives up the market value for each player. Contraction would help in this respect as well.

Who are the 4 markets? Carolina, Florida, Anaheim and Nashville. Now, if one of these teams vastly improved their situation or were relocating to a city where they would be in a better situation than that is fine.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
A 45 mil cap will not work. Bettman started at 31 mil and has shown willingness to go up to 38 mil in the most previous offer. In that sence, Goodenow has done his job to squeeze more out of Bettman than first thought. Bettman might be willing to go as high as 39 or 40 mil but i see 40 mil being the absolute limit.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
If you take 35% of 100 dollars and I take 35% of 1 billion dollars are we both equally well off?

So the owners are being greedy then? Face it, all this "heal the game" is crap spewed by the owners. All they care about is making a lot of money and thats it. At least if they said "heal my pocket book" I might at least have a little respect for them.

In situations like this, I think it is extremely fair that the product, ie: the players, get at least 60% of the revenues. People talk about how employees getting 70% of the money they made is crazy, but stop there. The players aren't employees per se but the product. They are the Big Mac, the BMW, the IBM computer and without them there is nothing to sell. Why shouldn't they get 60%

NYIsles1*

nyr7andcounting said:
Also, when the NHL added these 4 teams they didn't lower the minimum salary level. So, the 100 minor league players who where now allowed to call themselves NHLers got the same salaries as the current 4th line NHLers. The guys already in the league, rightfully so, demanded higher salaries because they were obviously better than the players brought into the league through expansion. This had a ripple affect and contributed to the inflation of salaries. Also, 4 more markets means 4 more teams demanding players, which drives up the market value for each player. Contraction would help in this respect as well.

Who are the 4 markets? Carolina, Florida, Anaheim and Nashville. Now, if one of these teams vastly improved their situation or were relocating to a city where they would be in a better situation than that is fine.
Fair points that would have saved some revenue.

With all due respect why not simply contract teams spending and the losing the most that are burried in their own market and even with a roster full of stars cannot bring in fans or create interest despite driving the player market based only on rich ownership.

Tell me why the Rangers should not be the team to be contracted? In New York hockey (like Arena Football and MLS) is better served to be played outside the city limits because it cannot compete with the major teams in the region for $$$$$ or exposure.

The Blues in the modern Saavis Center lose 30-40 million and sellout the building with a 50 million payroll. The Rangers play before thouands of empty seats and the building has limited revenue streams for hockey any employ several star players.

Why not keep those four teams (several jobs) let them compete evenly for free agents and eliminate the team that cannot compete even with stars on the roster and a high payroll.

Last edited by a moderator:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
NYIsles1 said:
Fair points that would have saved some revenue.

With all due respect why not simply contract teams spending and the losing the most that are burried in their own market and even with a roster full of stars cannot bring in fans or create interest despite driving the player market based only on rich ownership.

Tell me why the Rangers should not be the team to be contracted? In New York hockey (like Arena Football and MLS) is better served to be played outside the city limits because it cannot compete with the major teams in the region for $$$$$ or exposure.

The Blues in the modern Saavis Center lose 30-40 million and sellout the building with a 50 million payroll. The Rangers play before thouands of empty seats and the building has limited revenue streams for hockey any employ several star players.

Why not keep those four teams (several jobs) let them compete evenly for free agents and eliminate the team that cannot compete even with stars on the roster and a high payroll.

Because tradition is something that is important to me and the team isn't in financial trouble whatsoever. The Rangers are not only an original 6 team, but they are a trademark of the NHL. They have been playing in Manhattan forever, so I just don't see your point about it not working.

The Rangers have limited revenue streams? What are you talking about? Being in Manhattan is probably the best place any business can be. There's more people and more money in NY, especially Manhattan, than in any other market. The Rangers make so much $$ on advertising and corporate boxes that it's ridiculous. Cablevision estimated that if they had made the playoffs there would be a $40 million dollar swing in revenue. There are thousands of empty seats? Yea after 6 years of losing sure there are, but those seats are still all sold. Look over the last 7 years, majority of games are sellouts. The team can sellout games even if not everyone shows up cause the team sucks, just another reason the team should be in NYC. But despite the losing the fan support is still there and when the team is good not only are the revenues off the charts but they get plenty of attention in the city.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to have a team in NYC. For the Rangers themselves, theres nowhere else they'd rather be playing their home games. And especially for the NHL, not only are the Rangers one of their trademark franchises but they are in NY where the team can make huge profits and the NHL can get exposure. Like I said before, if you don't have multiple teams in NY you are stupid. The revenue and exposure oppurtunites are enough to keep an NHL team in NYC no matter how bad they are, if the Rangers never make the playoffs again they'd still be playing in NYC.

NYIsles1*

nyr7andcounting said:
Because tradition is something that is important to me and the team isn't in financial trouble whatsoever. The Rangers are not only an original 6 team, but they are a trademark of the NHL. They have been playing in Manhattan forever, so I just don't see your point about it not working. .
This is not about you or myself, were die-hards and unfortuntely not the majority in this. The majority does not even know a hockey lockout is going on here.

The New York American's were a Manhattan hockey tradition also at Msg, so were the Dodgers and Giants when they left town forever. So were the Cleveland Browns, who played in front of 80,000 fans and left town. The Giants and Jets left Queens and the Bronx and without a stadium renovation the Yankees would be in New Jersey today.

In the 80's the Knicks and Rangers were both leaving without signifcant tax breaks on the Garden, the Rangers to the Meadowlands and the Knicks to the Coliseum. Things change and they have dramaticlly gone that way in hockey in this sporting market since the eighties and early nineties.

nyr7andcounting said:
The Rangers have limited revenue streams? What are you talking about? Being in Manhattan is probably the best place any business can be. There's more people and more money in NY, especially Manhattan, than in any other market. The Rangers make so much $$ on advertising and corporate boxes that it's ridiculous..
If they are making all this revenue on advertising how come Cablevision for a few years running (long before a work stoppage was on the radar) report no profit from hockey. They already pay the Isles and Devils double what the Rangers reportedly make from television revenue just for the television rights and those are the Forbes estimates. This does not even account for Rupert Murdoch forty percent share from Fox or the Mets and Yankees leaving Msg. All those advertisers are leaving with them because they are the regions major market teams and that's where the money is.

This says nothing about the damage Cablevision has done with people like Time Warner or the City or the Jets. The Wilpon's had their games taken off television and the Yankees were off Cablevision for a full year. No doubt Msg has solid advertisers lining up for the Knicks and maybe Msg demands they take the Ranger, Islander and Devils also because they own all the broadcast rights but hockey ratings do not lie nor does Time Warner's demand Metro be pulled from programming.

What corporate boxes are in the Garden? It's an old building that even with an early 90's renovation did not have enough skyboxes. If the Knicks only had 13,000 season tickets sold, the Rangers had far less.

nyr7andcounting said:
Cablevision estimated that if they had made the playoffs there would be a $40 million dollar swing in revenue.
According to Cablevision's statement the Knicks generated four million from last year's two playoff games vs the Nets and that represent 49 percent of the profit, why would the Rangers make forty million? The Wings play in a building like Msg and their owns constantly claims they must make the finals just to break even.

nyr7andcounting said:
There are thousands of empty seats? Yea after 6 years of losing sure there are, but those seats are still all sold.
All due respect if the Knicks have posted attendance of 17,000 for games last year and early this year, and only 12-13,000 season tickets sold both years the Rangers have far less. Newsday had the Knicks numbers just a few weeks ago.

nyr7andcounting said:
Look over the last 7 years, majority of games are sellouts. The team can sellout games even if not everyone shows up cause the team sucks, just another reason the team should be in NYC.
Posted sellouts. Far from true sellouts with all the seats sold. The Isles do this also, no owner wants to admit his team is not drawing. Kind of the equivalent of taking Msg announcers word as to how a team is playing as honest. Marv Albert claimed that he was ordered to play down the competition and talk up the Knicks.

nyr7andcounting said:
But despite the losing the fan support is still there and when the team is good not only are the revenues off the charts but they get plenty of attention in the city.
I guess if you can go back to 1994 as an example that's fine. But that landscape for hockey here is over because other sports now are enormous and NY fans (especially a singular demographic) never embraced the huge European influx of hockey talent that is very tough to market anywhere, much less a market that has all of baseball's name veteran talent and all the major media following every move year round.

nyr7andcounting said:
I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to have a team in NYC.
For the same reasons hockey (a very small market sport here) failed with arena football at Msg and with soccer. Too much competition and little media exposure, now more than ever before.

Why market Fedor Tyutin and Rick DiPietro when you can market Randy Johnson and A-Rod or Pedro? Why Jagr or Yashin when you have both Matsui's. Why Montoya when there is El Duque or Mariano. It's just a complete mismatch in every possible way.

For the Rangers themselves, theres nowhere else they'd rather be playing their home games. [/QUOTE]
I have no idea. All I know is Charles Dolan tried to purchase the Islanders first before he bought the Garden. I guess they would have the 80 million dollar payroll (lose even more revenue than they do already) and play largely in the same obscurity today that they currently do. If Msg was the cash cow you claim it would not have had so many ownerships the last 30 years (Gulf and Western, Paramont, ITT...ect)

nyr7andcounting said:
And especially for the NHL, not only are the Rangers one of their trademark franchises but they are in NY where the team can make huge profits and the NHL can get exposure.
How do they get exposure here? Tell me when is hockey THE major sporting event here during a calander year today? Espn wanted no part of maketing NY for hockey, Abc, Fox wanted no part of it and all that is left is NBC which promised nothing. Meanwhile a generation of great players were never marketed properly to showcase Hull, Roenick and Leetch and it failed miserably on every level. Baseball is
year-round, other sports scramble for the rest.

nyr7andcounting said:
Like I said before, if you don't have multiple teams in NY you are stupid. The revenue and exposure oppurtunites are enough to keep an NHL team in NYC no matter how bad they are, if the Rangers never make the playoffs again they'd still be playing in NYC
That reads quite well but hockey became a two team market because the NHL wanted to expand here to conteract the WHL in the seventies. Hockey expanded into New Jersey when the Islanders proved they were successful and selling out games fourteen straight years. These days why have any when it's not a major sport.

A Good Flying Bird*

Thunderstruck said:
1) A cap won't produce parity.

2) Good management will be even more important under a cap.

3) Big market fans, like yourself, are fighting to keep their teams from ever having to go through the basement dwelling stage and from ever having to dismantle their teams based on player cost decisions. You want a system that applies to the majority of the league, but leaves your teams with a distinct advantage.

1. More parity than exists today.
2. This is true.
3. 100 percent Bull. The Red Wings were a cellar dweller for upwards of 30 years. The Hawks are a big market team and have sucked for a decade. The Rangers suck.

Fans of big market teams tend to pay more for tickets. Why? Big markets have the capacity to produce more fans, while supply stays the same. More demand and same supply means higher ticket prices.
I'd rather see that money go back into the product, rather than into the owners pocket.
Call me greedy. But if I'm going to be forced to pay an arm and a leg for nosebleed seats, I want my money going back into the team.
Illitch, unlike those greedy bastards in Chicago and Boston, puts money back into his team.

We need a system that allows teams the flexibity to spend if and when they are able.
A dollar for dollar luxury tax system at $40 Million, for example, would start to bring salaries down.

A Good Flying Bird*

shakes said:
In situations like this, I think it is extremely fair that the product, ie: the players, get at least 60% of the revenues. People talk about how employees getting 70% of the money they made is crazy, but stop there. The players aren't employees per se but the product. They are the Big Mac, the BMW, the IBM computer and without them there is nothing to sell. Why shouldn't they get 60%

Exactly.
This isn't the typical employee-employer relationship.

Brent Burns Beard