NHL Seattle hiring continues

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I'm glad to have Boyd and Boyd-Tyson in the fold. It's nice to see our future franchise normalizing some longstanding trends within the hockey community. I have no doubt there's some overlooked talent just waiting to be tapped into outside of the standard white male demographic. Here's hoping other franchises develop the foresight to look outside the traditional box.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I'm glad to have Boyd and Boyd-Tyson in the fold. It's nice to see our future franchise normalizing some longstanding trends within the hockey community. I have no doubt there's some overlooked talent just waiting to be tapped into outside of the standard white male demographic. Here's hoping other franchises develop the foresight to look outside the traditional box.

Their dad is the team doctor for the wild.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I have heard his tapes - good announcer

The Seattle Kraken named Everett Fitzhugh as their team broadcaster Friday, positioning him to become the NHL's first Black full-time team play-by-play announcer when the League's 32nd team begins play in the 2021-22 season.

"As someone who's worked in hockey for over a decade and who has a long-held passion for broadcast hockey, to be named team broadcaster for a brand-new NHL franchise -- particularly one with an organization as strong as the Kraken -- is a dream come true," said Fitzhugh, a 31-year-old Detroit native. "Getting to the NHL has always been my goal. I look forward to serving as the voice for this incredible team and its fans as well as representing the Kraken organization throughout the greater Seattle community."

The Kraken is striving to become a leader in sports when it comes to diversity and inclusion in hiring at all levels. CEO Tod Leiweke said Fitzhugh "has established himself as a unique and leading voice for hockey and was high on the list of many folks we consulted with.

"He's going to bring a tremendous energy and talent to our broadcast and content team, and we can't wait for our fans to get to know him," Leiweke said.

Kraken set to have first Black full-time NHL team play-by-play announcer

Reactions: William H Bonney

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Everett is not an NHL caliber play by play announcer. He's abysmal on the radio. I challenge anyone to listen to a full broadcast of his and really think he's NHL caliber. He's not even a good ECHL announcer.

He'll have to improve dramatically to even be passable on TV.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Everett is not an NHL caliber play by play announcer. He's abysmal on the radio. I challenge anyone to listen to a full broadcast of his and really think he's NHL caliber. He's not even a good ECHL announcer.

He'll have to improve dramatically to even be passable on TV.
wptjskje81341.png

He's got a decent voice, and he can't be any worse than listening to an NBC broadcast. Plus he's got a full year to practice while watching NHL games.

He does seem a bit behind the play in the highlight videos I have watched, but I'll withhold final judgement until he's gets a couple of years in. Fox Sports Detroit has Chris Osgood as color commentator, and he was absolutely horrid his first year. Drastic improvement this season, though the team was a complete dumpster fire.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
wptjskje81341.png

He's got a decent voice, and he can't be any worse than listening to an NBC broadcast. Plus he's got a full year to practice while watching NHL games.

He does seem a bit behind the play in the highlight videos I have watched, but I'll withhold final judgement until he's gets a couple of years in. Fox Sports Detroit has Chris Osgood as color commentator, and he was absolutely horrid his first year. Drastic improvement this season, though the team was a complete dumpster fire.
I think he'll be fine. He's a little behind the play, but he's got a good voice and good presence. If they pair him with a seasoned color analyst to lean on, he shouldn't have too much trouble getting up to speed. My home market is San Jose, and both Bret Hedican and Kendall Coyne Schofield were borderline brutal when they started as far as timing and pace. It didn't take them much more than a season of work to get the flow of things, and Everett will have plenty of time to get his reps in while the team's still not playing. I'm looking forward to Everett being a great ambassador for the team like Randy Hahn has for the Sharks!

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think he'll be fine. He's a little behind the play, but he's got a good voice and good presence. If they pair him with a seasoned color analyst to lean on, he shouldn't have too much trouble getting up to speed. My home market is San Jose, and both Bret Hedican and Kendall Coyne Schofield were borderline brutal when they started as far as timing and pace. It didn't take them much more than a season of work to get the flow of things, and Everett will have plenty of time to get his reps in while the team's still not playing. I'm looking forward to Everett being a great ambassador for the team like Randy Hahn has for the Sharks!
I agree. Part of it is just chemistry. Hedican and Kendall were very awkward when the season started. But I think part of it was Kendall needing to get comfortable with the gig and also not being very familiar with Hedican. They certainly got a lot better as the season went on.

Also, I would absolutely love it if they bring Drew Remenda in as a color analyst. I used to love Remenda-Hahn as the Sharks pairing till the later years when Remenda became over-critical of the Sharks and it really cost him his job. He was a honest to a fault and I think the Sharks did not like it much. I did not follow Drew as much in Edmonton though so no idea if he is that good anymore.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
I agree. Part of it is just chemistry. Hedican and Kendall were very awkward when the season started. But I think part of it was Kendall needing to get comfortable with the gig and also not being very familiar with Hedican. They certainly got a lot better as the season went on.

Also, I would absolutely love it if they bring Drew Remenda in as a color analyst. I used to love Remenda-Hahn as the Sharks pairing till the later years when Remenda became over-critical of the Sharks and it really cost him his job. He was a honest to a fault and I think the Sharks did not like it much. I did not follow Drew as much in Edmonton though so no idea if he is that good anymore.
I'm not sure I'd feel the same about Drew. For a new PBP like Everett, I think he'd need someone who could help "paint the picture" while he gets used to how he wants to call games. But the PBP guy needs to ultimately be the one running the show, and I think Drew would be a little too center-stage for that. If it wouldn't be too nepotistic (with Cammie Granato already a team employee), I'd love somebody like Ray Ferraro who can add a lot to the broadcast without making it about himself. Ray would also give the broadcast instant credibility with his background working for ESPN/TSN/NBC. If the go the generic former player route, I'd hope they could find somebody as good as Jody Shelley's been for Columbus.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
depending on what happens in toronto with kyle Dubas, in the next few days, if he is let go, look for him to join the Kraken in a different
position.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
depending on what happens in toronto with kyle Dubas, in the next few days, if he is let go, look for him to join the Kraken in a different
position.
I think Dubas needs some time away from the limelight to get some perspective on his place in the game. It's pretty clear he's let his ego get him in way over his head, in Toronto. And I'm not sure where he would slot in, for Seattle, since they already have their AGM's and their analytics department pretty well set.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
one of Seattle's first hire's was ulf samuelsson . Now he left the organization to join the florida panthers as an assistant coach.
Could this be a 1 year hiatus to gain some more experience behind the florida bench and next summer he could be hired
as the first head coach of the Seattle Kraken. I Know the Hartford whalers connection between ulf, joel quenville and ron francis
is real tight. Could quesnville and ulf be moving on to seattle as a tandem next season as well, possibility also.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
one of Seattle's first hire's was ulf samuelsson . Now he left the organization to join the florida panthers as an assistant coach.
Could this be a 1 year hiatus to gain some more experience behind the florida bench and next summer he could be hired
as the first head coach of the Seattle Kraken. I Know the Hartford whalers connection between ulf, joel quenville and ron francis
is real tight. Could quesnville and ulf be moving on to seattle as a tandem next season as well, possibility also.
Gallant is the frontrunner for the job.

Gallant does have a long history with Stevie Y so he might take the job in Detroit, but if he's available I'd be pretty happy with the obvious choice.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Gallant is the frontrunner for the job.

Gallant does have a long history with Stevie Y so he might take the job in Detroit, but if he's available I'd be pretty happy with the obvious choice.
Detroit already said they aren't firing their HC. 2nd thing is Gallant won't take a coachng job on crappy teams like detroit. He didn't with the devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->