NHL Seattle vs other sports in the city

Discussion in 'Seattle' started by jetsforever, Dec 5, 2018.

1. jetsforever

jetsforever Registered User

Firstly, congrats to Seattle on the team! Great place to add the 32nd NHL team.

I know it's a long time away, but where do you guys see the popularity of this team being, compared to the Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders? It's probably encouraging how fast the season ticket deposits sold. I haven't been there much - is the hockey support comparable at all to somewhere like Vancouver?

2. JoeThorntonsRooster

JoeThorntonsRooster Big Team Guy

College Student
    When I was in Seattle at this time of last year, my observation was that they absolutely breathe football and love the Seahawks. Seahawks merchandise all over the place and they all take pride in being the 12th man.

They don’t care much for the Mariners. Maybe NHL Seattle could surpass them if they get off to a hot start like Vegas did. But there is no chance in hell that NHL Seattle will be anything but an afterthought compared to the Seahawks.

periferal likes this.
  3. Toomany7pins

Toomany7pins Registered User

I think they be supported as well as the Hawks, which is great.

The Mariners poor fan support is self inflicted.

A non winner for 17 years plus them blocking Hansen’s SODO arena deal becuase they don’t want more competition from the NHL or NBA.

4. Terry Yake

Terry Yake Registered User

yeah i'm in seattle at least once a year and its definitely a seahawks town. very rarely do i see someone wearing mariners gear. when i was there earlier in the year i counted two or three people tops wearing mariners stuff in the few days i was there

the sounders have a very strong, committed fanbase but obviously nowhere near the hawks. i think the NHL team could eventually become the #2 team in the city (barring the NBA returning)

5. The Nuge

The Nuge Top 9 Forward Count - 6/9

Just guessing, but

Seahawks

Sounders
    NHL 32

Mariners

They won’t top the Seahawks, and it’ll be tough to pass the Sounders with how high their attendance is. There’s probably going to be a lot of support coming from surrounding areas, which will keep tickets in high demand, and well ahead of the Mariners

6. Kodi

Kodi Registered User

You only see two or three people wearing Mariners gear when you are sitting AT a Mariners game.

kxx likes this.
  7. BattleBorn

BattleBorn Tuched In.

8. BKIslandersFan

BKIslandersFan Registered User

Mariners are essentially Padres AL.

Sounders will always have niche fan base.

Seahawks will always be number one.

But there is definitely a room for NHL.

9. Drake744

Drake744 #manrocket

As a Padres fan but also Mariners fan as a casual other team this statement is so true it's sad.

Anyway, as a separate post, I lived in Seattle for a bit and I don't think there will be any issue drawing fans up there.

Seahawks do have a lot of "actual" fans despite the bandwagon reputation they've gotten lately.

Sounders fans are passionate but MLS interest really doesn't take much away from the mainstream sports stuff like coverage and ticket buyers, etc. Sounders/MLS fans are kinda in their own world.

Mariners get some interest but it's whatever really. Like a lot of MLB cities, fan interest relies heavily on how good they are. Poorly attended games in July and August come quickly when your team sucks and has a reputation for doing nothing right.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is that one of the more successful college football programs in recent history, Washington, is in Seattle. They have a large following but the NHL will still have their base of fans whether it comes from transplanted people, local die-hards, or simply those who want a distraction from October to April. The NBA dicking over the city and moving the Sonics has left a lasting hole for sure.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  10. periferal

periferal Registered User

Seahawks fan from NY here.

The NFL is the biggest sports league and Seattleites have a special relationship with that team as the team recognizes them as the 12th man, so you're not going to beat that. Plus they recently won a championship which will go down as probably the best sports day in most of their lives.

The Mariners can't seem to get out of their own way and haven't had any real success since the 90's. Plus the Mariners seem to have lost every major PR battle with the city especially most recently when it came to basically being against Chris Hanson's SODO arena. I feel like half of Mariners fans watch because for a long time there were only the Seahawks and Mariners, but that is changing.

The Sounders' support is awesome. That said, when, not if, the NHL team has some success and becomes a Cup contender then I think support for the NHL team is going to definitely surpass the MLS. The NHL is still a bigger sport than the MLS and playoff hockey still bigger than MLS.

Plus the NHL team is going to basically dominate winter months as there's basically nothing else once the Seahawks season ends. I fully expect interest in the NHL to grow and grow as more and more fans are exposed to the games. And by "exposed" I mean seeing one live, especially the playoffs. That changes you.

What is going to be very interesting is if Seattle gets the Sonics back and when. There isn't a city in North America that wants a sport to come to their city more than Seattle wants the NBA back. The NHL now has at least a few year head start to claim some of those basketball fans, but should the NBA come back there's just no way around the fact that the NHL will take a hit then. How big is the question, but overall I think hockey is going to be a MASSIVE success in Seattle. The city is literally designed for it. Look at all these factors:

• Cold weather city/basically boarders Canada where hockey is rampant.
    • Top-15 US city in terms of population and growing massively.
    • Wealthy city overall.
    • Insanely passionate sports fans.
    • Built in rivalry with Vancouver on day 1.
    • No other winter sport to compete against.
    • Very wealthy ownership.
    I mean this is like a postcard to the NHL of what they'd like to see from an expansion city. No doubt in my mind they would have been announced with Vegas a few years ago if they had their arena situation sorted out.

Super psyched to watch this team rise from nothing.

kxx and jetsforever like this.
  11. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Seattle Sin Bin

I think the NHL, if it gets off on the right foot, has a chance to become the #2 in the city for sports fans. The Mariners are having a fire sale, and have not had a playoff season since 2001. Which I believe is the longest playoff drought presently going right now.

Its a little strange, but it always feels like maybe the Sounders has a bit more of a different demographic. I feel like (at least the ones that I know) they are sounders/soccer fans, but maybe not 'general' sports fans.

If that makes sense.

The Zarn and jetsforever like this.
  12. periferal

periferal Registered User

It does make sense. The MLS does feel like a "different demographic" - Like more of a niche event than solely a sporting event. I mean look at what's going on in Atlanta. That is one of the worst sports cities in the world given the size/scope. They literally lost an expansion hockey team and I'm not sure most of the city even noticed. Yet - Their MLS team (which literally played their first season just last year) might have the most passionate fans in the entire league. I cannot explain that, but I am looking for an explanation.

13. The Nuge

The Nuge Top 9 Forward Count - 6/9

You have to remember that the Sounders aren’t your usual MLS team. They’re like the Dallas Cowboys. Their attendance is massively above the MLS norm. Their attendance averaged 40,600 last year. The team right below them (Toronto) averaged 26,600. Obviously with different capacities there’s more to popularity than just which sport has higher attendance, but you can’t look at the Sounders as just another MLS team.

I’m not saying it couldn’t happen, but it’s going to be an uphill battle to be the #2 sport in town.

14. alko

alko Registered User

Home Page:
    This will be something like Nashville now in a few years.

periferal likes this.
  15. nhlfan79

nhlfan79 Registered User

It's not hard to understand at all. Arthur Blank is a good, committed owner. ASG was the opposite. And the myth that Atlanta is a bad sports town needs to die a painful death. There's no evidence of that. The only thing people ever mention (Braves playoff non-sellouts) occurred two decades ago now.

Northern Knights likes this.
  16. Jyrki21

Jyrki21 Todellakaan ole suomalaista Sponsor

Home Page:
    Like anywhere else, interest waxes and wanes with how well the teams are doing. In the first half of the '90s the Mariners were having their first ever spate of success and they were most definitely the talk of the town – the Seahawks were not very good and almost moved to Los Angeles. The Sonics were very good back then as well (I was at Game 7 in 1993 when they beat the Houston Rockets in the playoffs to advance to the 3rd round) and there was plenty of enthusiasm around them too.

One of these days the fortunes of the Mariners and Seahawks will cross paths again (and the NBA will return) and I'm sure things will change again. It's always been this way, pretty much everywhere.

17. tank44

tank44 Registered User

If you are winning in Seattle, the locals will cheer and support you. Seahawks are #1 right now since they've been quite successful for the past 15 years and the future should hold with the current management team in place. Sounders have been a playoff team every year they've existed as well but signs were visible in the middle of last season when they were bottom in the league and attendance was lower which also coincided with a Mariners swoon.

Re: Mariners, if they were competitive, I feel like they could be the #1 team in town but the problem is they have not been. They are you middle of the road team, longest playoff drought in MLB and of the Big4 leagues. You could see last season in May-June when they were successful and competitive the fans were there, that atmosphere was great, but then they had their annual July-August meltdown and then nobody cared especially as football season was coming around. I do think the Mariners decision to rebuild with the goal to be good again in 2021 is not a coincidence with the timing of NHL coming to town. They know they need to be worthy of entertainment dollar else they will fall further back.

My current tiering of Seattle.local sports support:
    A - Seahawks
    B - Sounders/NHL32/UW football
    C - Mariners/Storm(WNBA)/WSU football/Gonzaga basketball
    D - UW basketball/Tacoma Rainiers (AAA baseball)/WHL teams (Everett Silvertips & Seattle/Kent Thinderbirds)
    E- Seattle Reign (NWSL)/Everett Aquasox (A baseball)/Seattle Seawolves (rugby)/Sounder2/

18. The Shovel Penguin

The Shovel Penguin Do work.

There's a lot of love for WHL hockey so I expect the team to do well. When I came back to visit last Christmas it looked like the Seahawks merchandising threw up all over the place, and that's not going to change anytime soon because there's still a lot of pride in finally getting that first Superbowl win. But everybody was buzzing about the new hockey team, even friends and family who aren't really all that much into hockey. It will be nice to give people something to root for and get behind in the winter in the absence of the Sonics.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  19. PG Canuck

PG Canuck Moderator

It will always change. Teams can’t stay competitive every single year. Seahawks will always have interest, but some down years could push other sports ahead of them. Fan interest fluctuates with team success. It happens everywhere.

20. Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer #FireDeBoer Sponsor

Solutions Architect
    The way the fans took on to the Sounders, I expect good results for the hockey team provided they can make it to the playoffs within 3 years. I feel like fans here are pretty fickle about sports and if they don't see sustained success, they will lose interest.

Not having a basketball team and a ****ty baseball team should also help .. :)

21. SlickShot

SlickShot Registered User

The M's had decent fan support this past year especially in August/September when they were in the hunt for a wildcard spot. Fans were showing up.

If the hockey team has good success early (I hope they do since I'll be a fan of them) then they will have great support by the fans and could be the second team in Seattle behind the Seahawks for fan support.

It's all about winning and success. Fans show up more when their team is winning.

22. SundayNiteBlackout

SundayNiteBlackout Registered User

It would take a miracle for any Seattle team to surpass the Seahawks at this point, but at least at first I expect the NHL team to easily take #2 because of early excitement for a sport that we haven't had in this city besides WHL teams that while they have a good fan base, most people don't really know about because it isn't pro. Sounders feel niche to me, and while the M's have a good base fanbase they just aren't good and hardly do anything to keep fans happy or change that. I'm sure there is more than a few people like me that couldn't give a crap about the Sonics and NBA after they were ripped away from me (HUGE fan growing up). Screw the NBA.