OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Maybe they play today, suspend tomorrow?
I have no idea. But if they already know the season is going to be suspended, why wait until the meeting this afternoon? Let the fans know who have plans to attend the games tonight.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I have no idea. But if they already know the season is going to be suspended, why wait until the meeting this afternoon? Let the fans know who have plans to attend the games tonight.
More fair for teams with games in hand that play today?

Let's fans who plan on going today, go... let's fans that had games tomorrow know there's no game a full day ahead of time.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
More fair for teams with games in hand that play today?
I just can't see a fair way for them to end this season. If they suspend and/or cancel only to start with the playoffs in a couple of months, then the whole postseason and Cup winner will be a farce. To me, it will never be legit. No way. Not with several teams who are so close to the wild-card slots with fewer games played. Unless all teams can play the same amount of games, cancel the WHOLE DAMN THING! No Cup winner this year. The fans will just have to deal with it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I just can't see a fair way for them to end this season. If they suspend and/or cancel only to start with the playoffs in a couple of months, then the whole postseason and Cup winner will be a farce. To me, it will never be legit. No way. Not with several teams who are so close to the wild-card slots with fewer games played. Unless all teams can play the same amount of games, cancel the WHOLE DAMN THING! No Cup winner this year. The fans will just have to deal with it.
If they still end up with a full playoffs after this... the playoffs will still have a legit outcome. The Stanley Cup playoffs are still the most grueling of all sports. It would be a legit cup champ IMO.

Longer than the two lockout shortened seasons which have legit champs.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
We don't compare to Italy at all, as Italy was getting hit extra hard by the flu this season. It was reported in January that they had 488,000 cases of the flu in just 1 week in late January before coronavirus even hit them. As a result, their health system was already in an extremely stressed state. COVID-19 hit them while in that extremely stressed state and sent them past the breaking point.

Our health system is not stressed at all by comparison, thus should be able to handle the stress this illness may cause.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu-outbreak-in-italy-half-a-million-people-struck-down-in-a-week

While I agree with you that our healthcare system may not be as stressed as Italy's at the moment, it could certainly become that way. With the lack of universal healthcare (take whatever stance on it as you will), people are still required to go to work if they make near minimum wage (generalized statement) to make end's meat. Think about that. You have a barista, that doesn't show symptoms for up to two weeks. They are touching every cup of Joe ordered. It could spread fast.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
While I agree with you that our healthcare system may not be as stressed as Italy's at the moment, it could certainly become that way. With the lack of universal healthcare (take whatever stance on it as you will), people are still required to go to work if they make near minimum wage (generalized statement) to make end's meat. Think about that. You have a barista, that doesn't show symptoms for up to two weeks. They are touching every cup of Joe ordered. It could spread fast.
It's going to spread fast... fortunately, most present mild symptoms at worst and thus won't be going in to the hospital anyway.

Again, Italy has basically been hit hard by two viruses simultaneously, that's why they got overwhelmed. We're not facing that.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
It's going to spread fast... fortunately, most present mild symptoms at worst and thus won't be going in to the hospital anyway.

Again, Italy has basically been hit hard by two viruses simultaneously, that's why they got overwhelmed. We're not facing that.

Again, I agree on premise of what you're saying but we're also facing the reality in which people are panic buying toilet paper and bottled water. I think more people will be going to the hospital due to panicked reactions causing our healthcare system to be overwhelmed.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Again, I agree on premise of what you're saying but we're also facing the reality in which people are panic buying toilet paper and bottled water. I think more people will be going to the hospital due to panicked reactions causing our healthcare system to be overwhelmed.
The good thing though, going to the hospital doesn't mean they get hospitalized. Most would just be sent home like those with mild cold/ flu would be. They can't be tested anyway, and the ultimate treatment is the same since you can only treat symptoms.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
The good thing though, going to the hospital doesn't mean they get hospitalized. Most would just be sent home like those with mild cold/ flu would be. They can't be tested anyway, and the ultimate treatment is the same since you can only treat symptoms.

What do you mean they can't be tested?

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Tests are only available on a very limited scale. If you present as sick and ask for a test, they won't give you one unless you've traveled etc.

Fairview has started drive up testing for those that have called ahead. As you mention, if you meet the criteria for needing the test, you can drive up at certain locations and get swabbed. For the most part, healthsystems will continue to test for flu first but I bet in two weeks, testing for covid-19 will be a lot more common.

Reactions: TaLoN
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad