OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When he said guys aren't happy, I took that as him relaying his personal conversations with fellow players around the league and/or his teammates. So in that regard, I wouldn't consider it just one player's opinion.

But it is what it is.
It literally could mean 2. We don't know. It's anecdotal either way. The vote will clear that up. If they play, it's because most want to.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Minnesota is out.
Sounds to me like the league wants to have both hub cities in Canada, where the covid situation is better.

Looks that way. I guessed that Columbus was secretly a favorite because they where they were the only US based Eastern time zone in the mix.
I think the big hurdle with Canada is convincing the government to ease restrictive policies with overseas players returning.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
It's happening!

Zuccarello one of the first Euros to return, couldn't wait to put the skates on and hit the ice :thumbu:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Looks that way. I guessed that Columbus was secretly a favorite because they where they were the only US based Eastern time zone in the mix.
I think the big hurdle with Canada is convincing the government to ease restrictive policies with overseas players returning.
They've already got a waiver on that.

You didn't seriously think the Canadian Government would keep roadblocks to stop hockey returning did you? Hockey is their national pass time.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
An Alberta government would be the easiest place to get permission to play in. Quebec probably the worst. That will have to factor into the league's thinking, though I would think that they really want an Eastern time zone team, and if Vegas is in...well Toronto seems the natural choice.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
An Alberta government would be the easiest place to get permission to play in. Quebec probably the worst. That will have to factor into the league's thinking, though I would think that they really want an Eastern time zone team, and if Vegas is in...well Toronto seems the natural choice.

I don't think they care about that at all to be honest. They are going to be running 3-4 games a day. Given there won't be fans in the stand, it doesn't matter if they start a game at 4 pacific, in order to hit a 7 eastern time.

Their order of caring for finishing the season goes something like this
1)$
2)Ability to control the bubble/accommodations
3)government pliability
4)$
5)player safety
probably somewhere around 15) timezone

Reactions: 2Pair

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

Vancouver was a lock until that hit snag that no one is saying at the moment.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
In Toronto, the bubble will include a 40-acre campus-like village on the grounds of the Exhibition Place, which includes BMO Field, the OVO Athletic Centre, Coca-Cola Coliseum and the 404-room Hotel X.

This has got to be costly. I don't know how they owners are making any money off this thing. At least there there's not a hub in the PST zone. Watching late night games on weeknights is murder.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This has got to be costly. I don't know how they owners are making any money off this thing. At least there there's not a hub in the PST zone. Watching late night games on weeknights is murder.
It's not that they're going to make money, but they will cut their losses with this thing.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's not that they're going to make money, but they will cut their losses with this thing.

Yep. If they don't have the Stanley Cup playoffs, their broadcast partners get a credit on next years payments. Playoffs is 100% about getting their full broadcasting payments next year.

A side benefit is they hope by delaying the 2020-2021 season to January they'll be able to have fans in the stands.

Reactions: TaLoN

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
A side benefit is they hope by delaying the 2020-2021 season to January they'll be able to have fans in the stands.

I'm not so sure about that, with the way things are going in the US with the covid situation. It's about to get out of control, and Dr. Fauci said we could see a million dead Americans if they don't do something about it. Good lord...

And in Florida, covid-19 just killed an 11 year old boy. So if you think this virus isn't dangerous because you're young...think again.

Last edited:

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I'm not so sure about that, with the way things are going in the US with the covid situation. It's about to get out of control, and Dr. Fauci said we could see a million dead Americans if they don't do something about it. Good lord...

And in Florida, covid-19 just killed an 11 year old boy. So if you think this virus isn't dangerous because you're young...think again.

Hence the "They Hope" part.

Also as tragic as it is, the11 year old boy had severe underlying conditions. The actual evidence suggests Covid is much safer for children then the flu, for whatever unknown reason. Taking an outlier like that as an example is classic fear mongoring

Everyone knows Covid is serious for people with underlying conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: zellmatic

P10p

May 15, 2012
And also, as it has been stated many times, there is nothing that shows permanent negative health impacts to people under the age of 40. Nothing. Acting like a player can get sick and have his career ruined is akin to saying a player can get struck by lightning. About the same odds.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Except they aren't just staying home either. That's the point. If they were, the wouldn't have been so many Lightning players testing positive a couple weeks ago when they tried to allow players at their practice facility.
But you have no idea who those players are, you make it sound like its for sure the top or important players yet it could easily be majority non roster players who don't have means to just not play. Seeing my point?

And also, as it has been stated many times, there is nothing that shows permanent negative health impacts to people under the age of 40. Nothing. Acting like a player can get sick and have his career ruined is akin to saying a player can get struck by lightning. About the same odds.
But you are not a doctor and you also don't have 10 years worth of data to support that opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
But you have no idea who those players are, you make it sound like its for sure the top or important players yet it could easily be majority non roster players who don't have means to just not play. Seeing my point?
Auston Matthews was one of the many players over the past few months to test positive.

Pretty sure it's the full spectrum of player types affected. From stars to scrubs.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
True its just so random cause someone like Kunin could be at really high risk just being a diabetic. Older players with multiple surgery recoveries, you have to wonder what complications that we just don't really know for sure could have.

Either way ideally no Shenigans and we get to see some hockey again or just shut it all down.

I'm saying that only an idiot would opt out because of concerns over his own personal health. A player would more or less have to lock himself in his home and cutoff all contact with the outside world in order to be in a safer situation than the "bubble" they're about to play in.

The part about you talking about players risking their lives and careers just speaks to fact that some are still severely uneducated on the matter.
This is a perfect example of how I said everyone has their own opinion about the virus. Calling people idiots for being concerned then backtracking to make it seem like you are understanding only to Double down at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Not sure if already posted.

Looks like the Finns, Swedes and Zuccarello are on their way over.
CA31040B-F18A-43ED-8A23-1962BE1FC0D1.jpeg
A83E1EB4-DC3C-4294-B889-FA7D876E7092.jpeg

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Not sure if already posted.

Looks like the Finns, Swedes and Zuccarello are on their way over.

This was 10 days ago, so they've been well established in their Twin Cities homes for a while, waiting for training camp to start on Friday. The Swedes need two weeks quarantine, so they were not on this flight from Helsinki.

The chartered flight landed at JFK, and the Wild sent a jet to pick up Koivu, Kahkonen and Zuccarello. This way they avoided the quarantine rule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->