OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Exactly the case. The NHL was expecting this next TV deal would finally change that, but with the huge hit to the economy, that may not change.
Is the NHL reliant on regional TV deals as much as MLB is? Multiple MLB operation guys and writers have said the league makes 2-3 billion off regional TV markets alone.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Is the NHL reliant on regional TV deals as much as MLB is? Multiple MLB operation guys and writers have said the league makes 2-3 billion off regional TV markets alone.
Not sure how the TV money breaks down exactly. I just know that it's gate revenue that currently drives the league, not TV.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
We have to be getting closer to "$$$$ or get off the pot" for starting the postseason, don't we? Unless they plan on starting the playoffs in August, I would imagine we would need some sort of official announcement soon. It's going to take at least a week to 10 days for overseas players to get back with their teams, then a few weeks of training camp. If all that started today, the earliest they could start would be early to mid-July....if it's any later than that, then why bother at all? At that point it would be better to just focus on getting next season started on time.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Did the NHLPA agree to the Phase 2 Protocol? Last I heard they haven't agreed to shit.
I don't think there's anything for them to agree to in this part. It's just teams opening up their facilities for coaches and players to use if they want.

Reactions: TaLoN

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Looks like a Bruins player tested positive (had two negatives since then) and Vegas looks like it'll be a hub according the Journal Review.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If training camps are indeed going to start on July 10th, the NHL will need to make an announcement pretty soon regarding the next phase (start date of the playoffs). International players will need to self-quarantine for 14 days after they arrive....and they won't be coming over here until they know for sure there will be a playoff.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Minnesota is out.

Sounds to me like the league wants to have both hub cities in Canada, where the covid situation is better.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Minnesota is out.

Sounds to me like the league wants to have both hub cities in Canada, where the covid situation is better.

Yeah, a couple weeks ago it sounded like the hotel situation did Minnesota in. Not enough in and around St Paul.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It was the volatile political situation that did us in. No sports league wants to be embroiled in that. I could easily have seen an EDM/MN combo..

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
You are both correct. From The Athletic article...

Minnesota was once a strong candidate because of the state-of-the-art Xcel Energy Center and countless practice rink venues in the Twin Cities, but the unrest since the murder of George Floyd by a police officer and the threat of defunding the Minneapolis police department was likely a big influence in the league’s decision. Also, the Mall of America and Minneapolis have great hotels and restaurants, but the capital of St. Paul, where the arena is, really lacks the hotel space needed beyond the St. Paul Hotel, which most teams stay at during the season.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Who is going to want to watch the games when half the players don't even want to be there? No fans in the stands....unhappy players....sorry but it's bullsh#*.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've been amazed at how good some of the Premier league play has been so far.

Players want to play and make their mark, for the most part. The ones who don't want to play will be weeded out, and sat down.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Who is going to want to watch the games when half the players don't even want to be there? No fans in the stands....unhappy players....sorry but it's bullsh#*.
I want to watch

If the players didn't want to be there, they'd never vote to approve.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I would love to watch a hockey game right now.
I would too! But not in a circus like this. It says a lot when many guys are hoping to have a full player vote instead of just representatives. No fans. Not being with family for such a long period of time. I'm sorry, but they won't be playing at the same level with that #$%@ factoring into things. If the guys are unhappy and uncomfortable with it, then what's the point.

I want to watch

If the players didn't want to be there, they'd never vote to approve.
They haven't voted yet to actually come back and play yet, have they? Just for the format of the postseason.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They haven't voted yet to actually come back and play yet, have they? Just for the format of the postseason.
And a vote will happen at some point before camp.

If they're playing, they want to be there is the point.

In other news...

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Excerpt from 'Guys are not happy': How the NHL's positive tests will...

One prominent Western Conference player said Friday that the positive tests were further confirmation that the league was moving too fast with its timeline.

“This just makes no sense to me,” the veteran player said. “Right from the return-to-play format announcement and this Phase 2 thing that none of us have to be in, they’ve put the cart before the horse. We’re in the middle of a pandemic, and they’re shocked there’s an outbreak? And it’s a long ways off to July 10, so you can’t tell me more and more guys won’t be testing positive as more and more guys start to get back to town.

“Guys are not happy. This is why we better have a full player vote and not just an executive board vote. But I’m not convinced (NHLPA executive director) Don (Fehr) is going to allow that because he knows there’s so many of us on the fence. That’s why I think the league was trying to be hush-hush on these positive tests.

“In my opinion, no way we play.”

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
A single unnamed player opinion. That's not half the players. If most players don't want to play, they'll talk to their player rep and the player rep will vote how most he represents will want him to.

That said, if it gets approved, and the Stanley Cup is on the line, you seriously think these guys don't can't the cup?
When he said guys aren't happy, I took that as him relaying his personal conversations with fellow players around the league and/or his teammates. So in that regard, I wouldn't consider it just one player's opinion.

But it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad