OT: Official COVID-19 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The NBA just suspended the season after a member of the Jazz preliminarily tested positive for the coronavirus. Is the NHL next?

Mod note: Only local interest COVID discussion will be permitted. If you want a more extensive discussion, you should go to the COVID forum.

COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Critique of local government response is permitted, so long as ideological motivation is not part of the discussion. This is not open for partisan politics.

Posts about causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention are no longer allowed unless there is a local component. Otherwise they belong in
COVID 19 - The Coronavirus Outbreak

Last edited by a moderator:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I really need baseball to start soon. Can't remember the last time I was this excited about the Twins.

Scratch that?

Dang...most potentially explosive Twins team in a generation and we might not even see them take the field this year.

Thanks, China.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
Thanks people who have no sense of hygiene.

I would say thanks to a government that was woefully underprepared and undereducated to deal with it headed by a person who as of two days ago thought “it would just go away” and another who believed the way to cure an AIDs epidemic was to pray it away.

The NHL is absolutely next.

All of this is a wonderful example of why you cannot allow your politics to cloud common sense.

We will be Italy in 1-2 weeks time.

Last edited:
Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Why do we need to freakout over an illness that is nowhere near as bad as the flu?

Coronavirus is to the flu like a headache is to a brain injury. The flu is treatable. There is no effective treatment for coronavirus. Yes, the flu kills more people every year but more people get the flu. Epidemiologist’s are learning new things about this virus daily. The flu is also mostly seasonal. As climates warm, infections and flu cases decrease. Coronaviruses traditionally do not follow that same path, the virus stays active. No one yet knows what Covid-19 will do.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Coronavirus is to the flu like a headache is to a brain injury. The flu is treatable. There is no effective treatment for coronavirus. Yes, the flu kills more people every year but more people get the flu. Epidemiologist’s are learning new things about this virus daily. The flu is also mostly seasonal. As climates warm, infections and flu cases decrease. Coronaviruses traditionally do not follow that same path, the virus stays active. No one yet knows what Covid-19 will do.
:thumbu:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Why do we need to freakout over an illness that is nowhere near as bad as the flu?

This virus is much more aggressive than the standard seasonal flu and has a higher mortality rate as a percentage. The typical flu virus has about a .1% mortality rate (1 in a thousand), whereas the Covid strain is between 2%-3% (2-3 in a hundred). That is a huge difference.

That being said, like the typical flu, it's still older people and those with lung conditions or suppressed immune systems that are most in danger. The 1918 Spanish Flu hit young and healthy adults much harder.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, we are still in the dark about a lot of this and are seeing the very tip of the iceberg. It blows my mind that northern Italy was bringing doctors out or retirement due to demand, when elderly people appear to be much more at risk with this disease. I guess they didn't have a lot of choice.

My wife is on the front lines. They are doing the best they can. Hopefully the rate of the spread can be slowed down so they are not overwhelmed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
This virus is much more aggressive than the standard seasonal flu and has a higher mortality rate as a percentage. The typical flu virus has about a .1% mortality rate (1 in a thousand), whereas the Covid strain is between 2%-3% (2-3 in a hundred). That is a huge difference.

That being said, like the typical flu, it's still older people and those with lung conditions or suppressed immune systems that are most in danger. The 1918 Spanish Flu hit young and healthy adults much harder.

What is interesting is that the 'attacked' populations can change by region. In China and Italy, the populations are relatively healthier than the US because of lower obesity and BMI. But those populations also smoke. As many as 65% of middle aged men in China still smoke and Covid-19 hit that population hard. But how will it attack a population with lower smoking rates but much higher obesity and diabetes? We don't know yet.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Yeah, we are still in the dark about a lot of this and are seeing the very tip of the iceberg. It blows my mind that northern Italy was bringing doctors out or retirement due to demand, when elderly people appear to be much more at risk with this disease. I guess they didn't have a lot of choice.

That's one of the things that is troubling about the spread is that it is really more about compromised and/or less effective immune systems than it is about 'elderly'. The flu and pneumonia regularly attack elderly populations but this virus is attacking that next, lower level or two of 'not elderly but not healthy'. You might be a 52 year old non smoker that needs to lose a few pounds but you don't consider yourself 'unhealthy' and yet Covid-19 is a real danger. The seasonal flu is no big deal to you.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I've moved the more overt COVID-19 talk here, but there's bound to be some real overlap with league and team talk over the next few weeks.

After watching various discussions across HF and the rest of the internet I want to compliment everyone on here for acting like adults.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I work from home so I have wayyyy too much ability to distract myself from work but I am watching CNN right now and they just reported that the US has tested 11,000 people. S. Korea is testing 10,000 a day......yikes.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Allowing that there's a legitimate geopolitical angle to the COVID-19 discussion, avoid using it as a jumping board for broader cultural and political criticism. This is isn't the forum for it.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We will be Italy in 1-2 weeks time
We don't compare to Italy at all, as Italy was getting hit extra hard by the flu this season. It was reported in January that they had 488,000 cases of the flu in just 1 week in late January before coronavirus even hit them. As a result, their health system was already in an extremely stressed state. COVID-19 hit them while in that extremely stressed state and sent them past the breaking point.

Our health system is not stressed at all by comparison, thus should be able to handle the stress this illness may cause.

https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu-outbreak-in-italy-half-a-million-people-struck-down-in-a-week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->